DX9, rendertargets and MSAA

Holyfish

Newcomer
Hi,

I'm having some questions regarding DX9, rendertargets and MSAA for which I cannot really find an answer for. Strangely enough, documentation regarding those subjects is rather sparse.
I have implemented a Light pre-pass renderer (or Deferred Lighting, like most people call it nowadays) for a DX9 platform. No problems there but trying to enable MSAA is giving me a headache, unfortunatly.

My pipeline is build from three steps:
- Render all objects to a rendertarget that stores two component view-space normals.
- Fill a light accumulation buffer, using the normals from the previous step (as a fullscreen stretched texture).
- Render all objects again, using the light accumulation buffer from the previous step (again, as a fullscreen stretched texture).

To be able to support MSAA, those three steps each need to render to an MSAA enabled rendertarget.

Creating an MSAA-enabled DX9Surface is not a problem via DX9Device::CreateRenderTarget, but since I cannot create an MSAA texture (CreateRenderTarget only gives me an MSAA surface) I have to StretchRect my surface to the texture, before I can use my rendertarget data into each of the next pipeline-stages.
Because that texture doesn't have msaa surfaces, doing a StretchRect basically downsamples the MSAA content from the rendertarget.

Ofcourse problems start to arise the moment I want to use that non-msaa texture further in my pipeline: I see a lot of artefacts around the borders of my objects.
I can imagine that while rendering to an MSAA rendertarget while sampling from non-msaa fullscreen stretched texture can give such problems, because of some kind of undersampling going on behind the scenes.

I hope my explanation is clear enough, but I really don't see a solution to this and I fear I simply cannot support MSAA like this on DX9 hardware. Is that correct?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Yes, it's pretty much impossible to use MSAA with deferred rendering, since your rendertarget is resolved automatically, and the multisampled data is lost.
In DX10.1 they added some features to HLSL which allow you to read back multisampled textures.

GPU Gems 2 has an article about deferred rendering in S.T.A.L.K.E.R and GPU Gems 3 has an article that builds upon the first and describes how they did deferred rendering in Tabula Rasa. Both titles used edge detection and a blur pass to get some antialiasing.

Back