DVD burner Cache buffer

deathstar121

Newcomer
My dvd burner is acting weird, when I burn a DVD the buffer level keeps going up and down it doesn't stay at one level, and instead of 5-7 mins to burn, it takes almost 50 mins to burn, but the DVD works fine, I have 2 dvd drives just one DVD burner, and the other Drive works fine there notting wrong with my PC, ram is fine, no virus, spyware, everything is fine, I don't know what could cause this, the DVD drive works fine plays movies, reads burnt dvd, but the Buffer level is gay and I have reinstalled Nero.

That sentence is the craziest thing I read in ages. And please don't use the word "gay" in such an offensive way, thanks.

Have you tried a different burning software other than nero?

Check if you have DMA enabled, both for your harddisk and DVD burner. Sometimes, certain Windows versions will disable the DMA for you for no good reason - and still keep on telling you that DMA is enabled.

arjan de lumens said:
Sometimes, certain Windows versions will disable the DMA for you for no good reason
That 'no good reason' will usually be this. It's not only related to suspend. Some copy protections may trigger it, as may inserting a bad burn or damaged disc.

So - inserting a scratched CD/DVD into a Windows XP computer's CD/DVD drive causes Windows XP to permanently slow down your system until you do either an IDE driver uninstall or black registry magic ...? Wow. Just Wow.

arjan de lumens said:
So - inserting a scratched CD/DVD into a Windows XP computer's CD/DVD drive causes Windows XP to permanently slow down your system until you do either an IDE driver uninstall or black registry magic ...? Wow. Just Wow.
No, I don't think it's that kind of errors the article is talking about. It's errors on the ide bus that makes windows turn down the transfer speed.

Thowllly said:
No, I don't think it's that kind of errors the article is talking about. It's errors on the ide bus that makes windows turn down the transfer speed.
The article doesn't explicitly mention it, but; yes: A busted CD or DVD (and some protections in some units) can (and will) cause CRC errors when reading. The default behavior in XP is to downgrade the transfer mode after 6 (count 'em *six*) cumulative errors. Not too many, no? The workaround mentioned at the bottom of the page has been well known for years among early adopters of DVD burners (often trying to salvage data from older discs that have degraded, or simply experimenting).

arjan de lumens said:
Check if you have DMA enabled, both for your harddisk and DVD burner. Sometimes, certain Windows versions will disable the DMA for you for no good reason - and still keep on telling you that DMA is enabled.

Check that out and no luck, the Buffer level is still crazy, I am starting to think the drive is screw up.

Do you have another burner from somebody that you could try in your machine for comparison? That way you could at least know if it's the software or the burner.

It was windows causing the error, the hotfix didn't work, so I just reformatted, I didn't mind because I reformated every 3-6 months.

Back