Dumb new HDTV owner questions

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I got a new TV set-up for my living room last night and got it all assembled/working in the very wee hours of the morning, so I haven't tweaked adjusted it at all yet.

-I already learned that I'm going to have to contact Comcast tomorrow and get a HD box from 'em, but I'll need a DVI->HDMI connector first or some such? Uhm, huh?

-Progressive scan DVD player is in place, but I'm not really sure what the heck it is. Right now I have it running straight in thru the S-video in, but mebbe I should hook it up thru the red/green/blue connector thingy using some RCA cables I got lying around....should I and why? (I'm really clueless about the R/G/B connector thing, any input is appreciated)

-I'm running it in fatty mode for the first 100 hours just 'cause I read somewhere that you should for burn in purposes, is that true?

-Right now I have it cable line->digital cable tuner->DVD-R->HDTV all thru the coax. Am I screwing up using just the coax for the main input to the HDTV?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I was up 'til about 3 getting it all together and pretty and the kids got me up at 7 to open presents. (Better than last year, last year they opened 'em all up and THEN woke us up. :rolleyes: )

Reactions: Geo
digitalwanderer said:
-I already learned that I'm going to have to contact Comcast tomorrow and get a HD box from 'em, but I'll need a DVI->HDMI connector first or some such? Uhm, huh?
Maybe, depends on the cable box they give you. Hopefully you can get one that has DVI out right on it as that would match your setup best, otherwise a HDMI to DVI cable would do the trick for video. Unfortunately some cable boxes disable digital audio out the s/pdif and toslink plugs when using HDMI. If that is the case you will be stuck with either digital video and analog audio, or digital audio and analog video. In that situation I'd take true 5.1 surround and just use component for video personally, but that really comes down to personal preference. Hopefully you can get a box with DVI or one that doesn't disable digital audio when using HDMI, in which case you will be set.
digitalwanderer said:
-Progressive scan DVD player is in place, but I'm not really sure what the heck it is. Right now I have it running straight in thru the S-video in, but mebbe I should hook it up thru the red/green/blue connector thingy using some RCA cables I got lying around....should I and why? (I'm really clueless about the R/G/B connector thing, any input is appreciated)
The red, green and blue plugs are component video, that is the bottom rung of HD video connections. S-video doesn't even support progressive scan so you will have to switch component cables to use that functionality. Better yet, use an old PC with VGA to provide much better video quality than than most any other DVD player will ever get you.

digitalwanderer said:
-I'm running it in fatty mode for the first 100 hours just 'cause I read somewhere that you should for burn in purposes, is that true?
Fatty modes just keep you from burning in the center while black bars on the side set cool, but 50% gray bars work just as well. The point is to keep the pixel wear even across the screen, and that is considered patricianly important in the first 100 or so hours of use as that is when the pixels burn hottest. But one way or another you should always be careful about burn-in as it is just a trait inherent to plasmas and no matter how long they have been used. I can't find any specs listed for the half-life of the phosphors on the display you bought so it is hard to say how vulnerable to burn-in your plasma is, but as long as you understand that you need to avoid uneven pixel wear then you should be able to avoid problems or at least correct image retention before it gets to the point of burn-in. I don't recommend fatty mode as it looks awful, I never use that for 4:3 stuff and just stick to gray bars on my plasma.
digitalwanderer said:
-Right now I have it cable line->digital cable tuner->DVD-R->HDTV all thru the coax. Am I screwing up using just the coax for the main input to the HDTV?
RF modulated coaxial like you are using is the lowest quality connection you can get. You'd get better quality with the yellow RCA coaxial, and s-video is better than that. Then you will want to use s/pdif or toslink for audio from your cable box to your DVR and then to your surround sound system.

digitalwanderer said:

No, not necessarily. First what kind of connections does your TV have? Is it HDMI or DVI? Then when you call Comcast, find out what connections the cable box has. And if Comcast is like TWC, then they might supply one (well at least TWC supplies Component - which really would be just as good).

Are you going to be hooking up other equipment to your TV? Like a DVD player? An Xbox? Etc. NOW is the time to jot down on paper just what connections those will use on your TV (I'm presuming your Stereo is too old, otherwise you could route everything or something into your Stereo and just have the Stereo send the signal back out to your TV - this simplifies connections).

digitalwanderer said:

That is known as Component. It is the best type of connection you can get AFTER DVI/HDMI (and it's actually so close in quality that it's the same in terms of picture quality - assuming your TV treats the signals equally, which likely it does).

So you should either run the DVD player into that or maybe your Cable box depending on how you want to hook it up.

digitalwanderer said:

Yes, do it just to be safe. In addition, TURN DOWN THE CONTRAST. Leave it a bit darker then you normally would watch it. This is to break in the phosphors. But once the break in period is over, you can turn the contrast back up again, and you shouldn't have to worry about screen burn in as much. This does NOT mean however, that you should EVER leave your TV paused for an extended period of time. NEVER EVER do that!

digitalwanderer said:

You're not screwing anything up but you are limiting the quality of your picture. You should do the following.

Cable Line (Coax) -> Cable Box (HDMI/DVI/Component) -> DVD-R (HDMI/DVI/Component) -> TV

That is, once the signal leaves the Cable Box, you want to be using the better type of connections as much as possible.

digitalwanderer said:
Sorry for the dumb questions, but I was up 'til about 3 getting it all together and pretty and the kids got me up at 7 to open presents. (Better than last year, last year they opened 'em all up and THEN woke us up. :rolleyes: )

They're not dumb and you won't learn till you ask. Welcome to the WONDERFUL world of Home Theater! When you get your set up working, check out Discovery HD (but ALWAYS remember the rules to avoid burn in).

Reactions: Geo
Ok, so for right now hooking it up from digital cable box -> DVD-R w/progressive scan -> (those two hooked up by coax) -> R/G/B out -> (Y, Pb, Pr and not Y,Cb,Cr...right? ;) ) -> R/G/B in on HDTV.

I'm too tired and the living room is too full of toys right now to be pulling a PC in there, I'll just try the above set-up and see what the what is.

By "DVD-R" are you talking about that home theater system got? If so, it doesn't record anything, eh? In that case you'd be best off just going directly from the cable box to the TV with whatever the best connection avabable on the cable box is. S-video hopefully, if not then it is bound to at least have composite. If you do have a DVR device of some sort then you'd be better off with s-video or composite instead of RF coaxial for that.

Thanks all. I've been playing with it...

Got the component out from the DVD-R -> TV and it looks a LOT better! I'll check out the back of my cable box next and see what other options I have for now, but I'll be picking up a HD cable box next week.

I have two DVD players attached to the system. The Insignia 6.1 speaker set-up I got came with a 5-disk progress scan player and the TV came with a free DVD prog player/rec....and I need both inline. My wife wants to record with the DVD-R and we need the sound system from the 5-disk player.

I have the viddy output from both DVD players running to my two component ins on the HDTV, and set my HDTV to progressive and the difference is just staggering! The only limit to the picture quality seems to be my cable signal....I can't wait to try a DVD.

(My wife got me "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" and we're both gonna watch it tonight after the kids go down. :) )

Thanks again, the help is much appreciated. I'm a newby all over again, gads I love that about technology.

kyleb said:
Fatty modes just keep you from burning in the center while black bars on the side set cool, but 50% gray bars work just as well.
Ideally yes, but considering the burned in bars I have to put up with now I would reccomend against trusting that idea.

DW, depending on the TV you have, you might be better off just sending a 480i signal to the TV and letting it perform the upconversion. Worth trying both and seeing which looks better to you anyway.

Well yeah, if you watch a bunch of really dark stuff then you'd be better off with gray bars at 70% or so instead. And you don't have to put up with your burn in pillarboxing, just run black bars for a while with some bright 4:3 content and it will even itself out.

Except there is no way to change the color of bars on my TV :/ . I've tried to access the service menu, but haven't had much luck. I'm not sure its even an option there anyway.

Huh, well there is always HD content with built in black bars that you could use to even things out if you have a HD-DVR or such, and you could also hook up a PC and use that display a 4:3 white screen pillerboxed with black bars as well.

Have I mentioned that no burn in, and hence no ^$#$@ stretch mode is what I love best about DLP?

Sounds like you got it under control, digi --have fun. :D

geo said:
Have I mentioned that no burn in, and hence no ^$#$@ stretch mode is what I love best about DLP?

Sounds like you got it under control, digi --have fun. :D

I can't get used to black side bars. They're far more uncomfortable to me than top/bottom ones, I guess because my eyes are laid out horizontally.

More fun stupid questions!

-Gamecube, how do I do it up right on the HDTV? I know I'll have to be ordering some cables, but I have to order some anyways for the PC hook-ups.

-I just ordered the Comcast DVR dealy described in this post for an additional $9.99/mos to our cable bill. The DVR is $5/mos extra, but I figure give it a try to see how it is before deciding on either keeping it or buying a different/better one. It's slated to come on 12/31, anyone here have any experience with 'em? (I did remember to inform them that I have a DVI-HDCP so they'd have to bring a HDMI -> DVI converter cable at least. :oops: )

-Since I'll be ordering cables for the Gamecube/PCs, are there any others I should pick up whilst I'm at it that I may need/find useful down the road? (I sort of like this place, if that helps any.)

-How long can a DVI cable be? Also how long can a VGA cable be? (Yes, I'm thinking of running a bunch of just really long cables to the HDTV and putting a KMV switch on them....can mouse & keyboard cords be 30' long?)

Thanks again for the help all, being a newbie again is sooo fun!!!! :D

Go for Bluetooth Wireless KeyBoard/Mouse setup. The old bluetooth range was around 30 feet. The newer bluetooth standard is well over that range.

BRiT said:
Go for Bluetooth Wireless KeyBoard/Mouse setup. The old bluetooth range was around 30 feet. The newer bluetooth standard is well over that range.
I thought about that, but right now we just blew a wad on xmas and a new plasma tv and I don't think I'd have much luck talking my wife into it. :(

Sticking a few extry cables on a needed cable order though is a different matter. ;)

I know it seems like splitting hairs, but I guess you'd have to understand my wife's total and psychotic rage whenever I spend money on anything that is PC related lately. Cables and a KVM switch are fine since it looks like it's for the HDTV, a new mouse and keyboard are NOT since they'd look like they're for the PC.

It's a subtle and stupid thing, but it's a very real thing for me and I gotta take it into consideration.

I was thinking down the road of just picking up some nice wireless gaming devices, I'd pretty much just be using it for gaming and movies anyways. Heck, I'm pretty sure I have a couple of wireless remote mice around here somewhere if I dig even. (An x-10 and AIW control)

I was mainly worried about the VGA cable length. :oops:

Oh, and can I try and grab an HDTV signal just using some rigged rabbit-ears? I want to surprise my wife and tape her soap in HDTV in an hour and a half....

....oh, and if anyone has any creative ideas on whipping up rabbit-ears in a hurry I'd be happy to listen to your suggestions. :oops: (I'm a little braindead/unmotivated today, yesterday was a long and grueling one for me)

IF your Gamecube has a digital out on it then you'll want Nintendo's component cables for that, and your Cube doesn't then [ur=http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/nintendogamecube/component_faq.jsp]Nintendo will swap it out[/url] for one that does. As for VGA cable length; I think you'll be alright with 30" as long as you get a well built cable, at least for for up to 1360x768 which would most likely be where you would want to set your desktop resolution as your display is 1024x768 widescreen. I have never acutally tried to run a VGA cable anywhere that long, but at least from what I understand such lenghts are really only an issue for very high resolutions and/or cheap cables. Keyboard and mouse hookups should be fine as well.

I can't comment on the cable box you are getting as the link you posted won't come up for me, who is the maunfacture and what is the model number?

Glad to see that you and the Mrs. are enjoying your new setup. Just wanted to chime in with some more suggestions for usablility.

1. Get that HD cable box ASAP. If you were impressed with the picture form the PScan DVD player, prepare to be awestruck :)

2. Having the best connections is, unfortunately, likely to make system operation a bit more complicated. You end up having to switch inputs on both the TV and the surround sound setup each time you change sources. After a while with the system you probably won't even notice, but in the beginning it can be a bit frustrating.

3. Consider splitting your coax coming into the cable box and sending seperate lines into the cable box and DVD-R. Then you would connect the cable box to the DVD-R using S-Video and the L+R analog audio out on the cable box to the line-in on the DVD-R. This gives you the ability to use the DVD-R's tuner to record one program while you are free to watch something else on the cable box. Then, if you need to record a premium channel, you can record from the line-in using the cable box to tune.

4. Once you get your HD set-top, since you only have one digital audio input on your audio system, I would connect the cable box's coaxial digital output to the audio system over the DVD-R's. Since you have the 5-disc player to use as a primary playback device you can just connect the DVD-R's analog audio out to the TV so you can get quick and dirty playback with sound from the TVs speakers. When you want the full DVD playback experience you would just use the changer.

Hope some of this helps.

Kyle- I'm trying to find out the exact info now, I'll post it when I get it.

mrcorbo said:
1. Get that HD cable box ASAP. If you were impressed with the picture form the PScan DVD player, prepare to be awestruck :)
12/31 1-5pm was the soonest I could get it. :(

2. Having the best connections is, unfortunately, likely to make system operation a bit more complicated. You end up having to switch inputs on both the TV and the surround sound setup each time you change sources. After a while with the system you probably won't even notice, but in the beginning it can be a bit frustrating.
Heh, I figured that out yesterday and you're right. It IS a pain-in-the-ass at first, but once you start figuring out what remote does what and which input has what connected to it the frustration goes away.

More options = gooder, but lots more initial confusion too.

3. Consider splitting your coax coming into the cable box and sending seperate lines into the cable box and DVD-R. Then you would connect the cable box to the DVD-R using S-Video and the L+R analog audio out on the cable box to the line-in on the DVD-R. This gives you the ability to use the DVD-R's tuner to record one program while you are free to watch something else on the cable box. Then, if you need to record a premium channel, you can record from the line-in using the cable box to tune.
Possibly, or else we might be getting a dual-tuner DVR box. I'm not sure, I'm checking.

4. Once you get your HD set-top, since you only have one digital audio input on your audio system, I would connect the cable box's coaxial digital output to the audio system over the DVD-R's. Since you have the 5-disc player to use as a primary playback device you can just connect the DVD-R's analog audio out to the TV so you can get quick and dirty playback with sound from the TVs speakers. When you want the full DVD playback experience you would just use the changer.
No TV speakers, not EVER...they're just awful on our set. The sound system is a must at all times.

I'm trying to either find my powered rabbit-ears or build a set to see what kind of over-air HDTV signal I can get...but I gotta go hook up the kids gamecube cheap/dirty first just to get 'em off my back! :rolleyes:

Hope some of this helps.
It helps oodles, thanks! Just talking about it helps make it less intimidating to me. (It's not so bad today, but yesterday it got downright scary for me at times! :???: )

Back