Dumb new HDTV owner questions

BTW-I checked and the back of my digital cable boxes only offer me the choice of coax or VGA/L/R output. Is going thru the other one better? (Yellow viddy, left-right speakers...NOT component out.)

I wouldn't think it really would be, but thought I'd ask. It'll be a moot point come Friday, knock-wood!

digitalwanderer said:
BTW-I checked and the back of my digital cable boxes only offer me the choice of coax or VGA/L/R output. Is going thru the other one better? (Yellow viddy, left-right speakers...NOT component out.)

I wouldn't think it really would be, but thought I'd ask. It'll be a moot point come Friday, knock-wood!

VGA would be better I'd think but I don't know how much. I've personally never used VGA on my Plasma.

london-boy said:
Sorry i missed this thread Dig, i'd have sorted you out in a minute :smile:

[Stewie voice]

WHERE IN THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN DAMN YOU?!?!?!

[/Stewie voice]

Seriously LB, I finally got an HDTV and you're not here to explain to me how to use it? I'm sooo hurt! :cry:

digitalwanderer said:
WHERE IN THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN DAMN IT?!?!?!

Seriously LB, I finally got an HDTV and you're not here to explain to me how to use it? I'm sooo hurt! :cry:

uhm... u know... christmas stuff...? ;)

Had xmas lunch in this million pound flat a couple of friends just bought.... A M A Z I N G... so i have been recovering from that :LOL:

I was just teasing LB, I meant to put my yell in a "Stewie voice" but was tired and spaced. :oops:

It probably wouldn't have mattered LB, there were enough good and knowledgeable folks here to help me out. The only thing I think would have happened would have been you pushing me for DLP, but my wife's heart was pretty much set on plasma for some reason.

Besides, I think I'm one of those who notice the rainbow effect. I thought I'd noticed it checking out some big screen TVs before.

We're quite happy with our purchase. I just got the kids set-up with 5 DVDs they like in the 5 disk player and instructed them on how to change disks/navigate the menus etc and now I'm gonna go curl up on the couch in a blanky and "watch" some stuff with 'em and nurse a nasty headcold.

I can't wait until tomorrow when the HDTV gets here, I've actually started using the Bowflex again watching shit just 'cause it's conveniently set-up to do so now! :)

Got the DVR w/HD tuner today! It's a dual-tuner motorola model.

I'm still working thru some issues with it, but the picture is incredible when I get it! :D

WOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

After being shuffled 'tween about 4-5 departments at Comcast for 20 minutes or so I finally got it all activated and it is SWEET!

Everything is in one box. It's a dual-tuner motorola that tunes in the regular cable, digital cable, and HDTV content and has a 120Gb HD.

I haven't tweaked it in yet, I'm still reading thru the guide...but it has a LOT of fun options for output to the TV and such and I'm already blown-away by the quality.

They hooked it up thru the component in on my HDTV using "monster cables" which sort of cracked me up. (I'm a big believer in cheap cables. ;) )

Total sweetness though, truly. The image quality really impresses me. My kids are now playing with the pause feature and having fun rewinding "live" tv, and I'm getting ready to start taking down the xmas tree and put my bowflex back in place so I can work up a sweat and have some fun playing with this thing. :cool:

SCHWING!!!!

How do I transfer digital recordings to my PC?
The IEEE1394 (firewire) port can be used for transferring digital video to a PC for archiving, but it is limited by the copy protection coding that programming providers embedded in the data with the digital video. The digital video is not accessible for transfer through the built in software yet. Software companies who provide the interactive program guides and DVR Menu systems have not yet supplied the functionality to transfer your digital recordings, but some people on their own have devised a way to access digital recordings on the DCT6208 or DCT6412 and offload them to a PC hard drive or Digital High Def VCR.
When transferring digital video by the method referred to above, copy protection restriction will apply. The recordings will play from the other device only if the programming provider has not encoded the digital content with a "copy never" command. Some programming sources encode them with a "copy once" command which allows you to transfer it once but if you try to transfer it again the content becomes unplayable. Of course, since the method for transferring digital video described above is in the public domain and not authored or controlled by Motorola or the software providers described above, Motorola makes no warranty that it that the method will work. Motorola will also not be liable for any loss or damage resulting from your use of such methods.
Here's how to transfer non-copy protected recordings via IEEE1394/Firewire: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=3818890#post3818890
:D

Actually I yanked the DVD-R from the set-up since I wasn't using it and the DVR should do it's job better. ;)

I'm trying to figure out how to change the output from the motorola box to the HDTV. It's set to 1080i right now I think and I THINK I want it at 1080p, right? (i = interlaced, p = progressive; right? :) )

EDITED BITS: I already found the trick of setting both tuners to the same channel and then powering off and quickly hitting "settings" right after to access the config menu, but I can only look at stuff in it and I can't figure out how to change the settings. :???:

Straight link to the Motorola page on my DVR, just for my own convenience. :oops:

EDITED BITS II: Ok, on component out I can choose from 1080i or 480p....which is betterer?

digitalwanderer said:
It's set to 1080i right now I think and I THINK I want it at 1080p, right? (i = interlaced, p = progressive; right? :) )

I doubt the cable box can output at 1080p. Not even sure if your set can take IN that signal. Likely your choice will be between 720p and 1080i. Frankly, I'd try both to see if you really notice a difference. Complicating the issue will be that different stations use different formats. Fox for instance uses 720p and ABC uses 1080i (or something to that effect).

digitalwanderer said:
EDITED BITS: I already found the trick of setting both tuners to the same channel and then powering off and quickly hitting "settings" right after to access the config menu, but I can only look at stuff in it and I can't figure out how to change the settings. :???:

Straight link to the Motorola page on my DVR, just for my own convenience. :oops:

HOPEFULLY you should be able to access a settings panel from just the remote. That's the way my SA (Scientific Atlanta) works.

digitalwanderer said:
EDITED BITS II: Ok, on component out I can choose from 1080i or 480p....which is betterer?

1080i. 480p is merely DVD resolution.

Ty said:
1080i. 480p is merely DVD resolution.
Yeah, it is kind of splitting hairs after a while! :LOL:

The picture is gorgeous, I'm leaving it alone at the default settings as 1080i looks pretty good to me and I just don't feel like messing with it.

(Oh, and ya can access the settings from the menu...I just hadn't dived in far enough yet. :oops: )

I'm falling in love with this little Motorola DVR already, it just does EVERYTHING! Regular channels, digital channels, premium channels, HDTV stuff; and both tuners can grab/record it all!

I'm totally spoiled and soooo set for a day of plopping around the idiot box tomorrow. :)

digitalwanderer said:
Yeah, it is kind of splitting hairs after a while! :LOL:

The picture is gorgeous, I'm leaving it alone at the default settings as 1080i looks pretty good to me and I just don't feel like messing with it.

(Oh, and ya can access the settings from the menu...I just hadn't dived in far enough yet. :oops: )

I'm falling in love with this little Motorola DVR already, it just does EVERYTHING! Regular channels, digital channels, premium channels, HDTV stuff; and both tuners can grab/record it all!

I'm totally spoiled and soooo set for a day of plopping around the idiot box tomorrow. :)

Hey, congrats on finding the settings! There's a bunch of stuff in there later on you might want to fiddle with.

If this is your first DVR, boy...wait till you start using the program guide, you'll quickly end up recording tons of shows!

digitalwanderer said:
Back to the dumb questions, how do I clean the screen on it safely? :-|

Heh, just check the manual to be 100% sure. I would suggest some things but don't want you screwing your screen up in case I'm wrong.

digitalwanderer said:
Back to the dumb questions, how do I clean the screen on it safely? :-|

Whatever you do, don't use "products". Water should be fine for most panels, and careful which cloth you use!!! The manual should tell you everything you need to know. :D

I just use a soft dry cloth on mine. I never had reason to use anything more, though with kids and dogs running loose I suppose it might not be so easy.

I saw, prevention is the best way... put some electrified wire all around the area you HDTV is and you'll see it will never get dirty!!!! :devilish:

kyleb said:
I just use a soft dry cloth on mine. I never had reason to use anything more, though with kids and dogs running loose I suppose it might not be so easy.
My first rule was, "DON'T TOUCH THE TV!!!!", too...but little fingerprints have mysteriously appeared. :(

london-boy said:
I saw, prevention is the best way... put some electrified wire all around the area you HDTV is and you'll see it will never get dirty!!!! :devilish:
Tempting, very tempting... :rolleyes:

Doing my first test of recording GH in HD today, hurrah! I grabbed an HD copy of "Vegas" last night, but haven't checked it yet. (My wife loves the show, "Brenda" is on it. :rolleyes: )

Back