DS-Lite vs DSi speculation...more power?

I thought that DSI is just a update to DS lite?

Althought new HW could be used in no gaming features?

If DSi is more than just a PS2slim, it'll be wasted. Who's going to target the DSi market on it's own with enhanced capabilities when it represents a tiny drop of the full DS market? Everything will be aimed at DS and any extra RAM or CPU speed will be completely wasted.

I imagine that these enhanced specs are like the PSP's, there for inbuilt utilities and not gonna be used for any games. The system cannot thus be considered like a Wii, a new platform built on old tech, but instead an update to an existing system.

Yes it has better hardware. Wont be used for games ofcourse given there are 90million people withouth the faster system. Its only going to be used for things like the download store.

I guess they could use DSi only software as an enticement to transition people from DS to DSi(assuming it's enhanced). Instead of going with a radically new platform from DS.

Nintendo is planning DSi-only software.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=198728

Nintendo and it's the beauty of (too) strong first-party ;)

DSiware or whatever is the name of the DS online store is only supported for the DSi so you know that if someone downloads your app from that store that he/she has a DSi... any developer (1st, 2nd, or 3rd party) that makes games for the online store should target the DSi and the the regular DS... so problem solved :).

If DSi is more than just a PS2slim, it'll be wasted. Who's going to target the DSi market on it's own with enhanced capabilities when it represents a tiny drop of the full DS market? Everything will be aimed at DS and any extra RAM or CPU speed will be completely wasted.

I imagine that these enhanced specs are like the PSP's, there for inbuilt utilities and not gonna be used for any games. The system cannot thus be considered like a Wii, a new platform built on old tech, but instead an update to an existing system.

I don't see why you cannot write software to work on both, but take advantage of a more powerful system if the hardware is there?

I don't see why you cannot write software to work on both, but take advantage of a more powerful system if the hardware is there?

Just what I was thinking. For instance I don't see why features like anti aliasing or better filtering couldn't be enabled for the DSi while the same game would run without them on DS.

Just what I was thinking. For instance I don't see why features like anti aliasing or better filtering couldn't be enabled for the DSi while the same game would run without them on DS.

I dont think it so much a question of can you do it but why would you do it. There are more than 90million old DS models sold so why would a dev bother with trying to use the extra power? Even if they can use it it can only be used for relative useless things on a system like the DS. Second, why would Nintendo allow this? Why would you risk splitting up your usebase? Not to mention that its bound to give troubles sooner or later when somebody gets a bit too relaxed on making sure DS and DSi run games perfect. Better just force normal DS mode. Its not like like a bit of AA or some extra filtering is going to do anything for the GFX anyway.

I dont think it so much a question of can you do it but why would you do it. There are more than 90million old DS models sold so why would a dev bother with trying to use the extra power? Even if they can use it it can only be used for relative useless things on a system like the DS. Second, why would Nintendo allow this? Why would you risk splitting up your usebase? Not to mention that its bound to give troubles sooner or later when somebody gets a bit too relaxed on making sure DS and DSi run games perfect. Better just force normal DS mode. Its not like like a bit of AA or some extra filtering is going to do anything for the GFX anyway.

Why do it? Because it improves the way the game looks for DSi users while still working how you'd expect it too on the original DS. This way you give DS users a reason to upgrade to DSi without making them feel like they're being forced to.

How would it split up the userbase? Both could still play all the same games. Its just that those games would look better and have extra features on DSi. Proper filtering, anti-aliasing, better framerate, developers would be free to add/improve any cosmetic effect they want as long as the basic game runs the same on both systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do it? Because it improves the way the game looks for DSi users while still working how you'd expect it too on the original DS. This way you give DS users a reason to upgrade to DSi without making them feel like they're being forced to.

How would it split up the userbase? Both could still play all the same games. Its just that those games would look better and have extra features on DSi. Proper filtering, anti-aliasing, better framerate, developers would be free to add/improve any cosmetic effect they want as long as the basic game runs the same on both systems.

?

AFAIK, the DSi has more RAM and an over-clocked SoC... but filtering? In software?

The problem is that nobody seems to know what exactly was changed. We know that it has four times the RAM and a 133MHz CPU, but that's about it. Maybe there's more, maybe there isn't. Nintendo won't tell us, and homebrewers haven't managed to do a complete in-depth analysis, yet.

The problem is that nobody seems to know what exactly was changed. We know that it has four times the RAM and a 133MHz CPU, but that's about it. Maybe there's more, maybe there isn't. Nintendo won't tell us, and homebrewers haven't managed to do a complete in-depth analysis, yet.
Well, the SD card slot should make it easier for homebrewers to figure out...if you know what I mean.

That said, I bet the shaded tech specs are because they don't want too many developers implementing too many DSi-specific features in their future titles in fear of alienating the rest of the installed user based.

Edit: Although I could be wrong and say that the extra power is actually utilized for running the new OS and implementing the hot-swapping system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the SD card slot should make it easier for homebrewers to figure out...if you know what I mean.
Sure. The problem is that the DSi uses pretty much the same system security as the Wii. Nobody managed to sign a homebrew application to run on the DSi in native mode. The compatibility mode works exactly like the Wii's, too - you don't see the changes in DS mode.

That said, I bet the shaded tech specs are because they don't want too many developers implementing too many DSi-specific features in their future titles in fear of alienating the rest of the installed user based.

Edit: Although I could be wrong and say that the extra power is actually utilized for running the new OS and implementing the hot-swapping system.
According to developers, if you use any DSi feature in your game, retail titles included, it instantly becomes DSi only, anyway. So either implement no DSi features at all and continue to develop DS software that works on DSi in compatibility mode, or develop full blown DSi games. There's no middleground, and there won't be any hybrids.

Either way, it's not only used for the OS or hot swapping. And it would be very un-Nintendo to create a new, more powerful and expensive chipset just for a fancy system menu and one or two tools. Remember, it's the same company that removed MP3 support from the Wii to save a few Cents. ;)

Back