Dropping/Disabling Reputation

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
Just curious if there are others who would like to see this particular feature dropped from the forum.

epic

I'm just curious, did you post this up before or after I added my latest rep comments to you?
icon_twisted.gif

Nooooooo, I'm the first to get two--count them, TWO!--green square blockies. My life is now complete, there's a meaning and a purpose to this existence for me.

The problem isn't the reputation feature, it's the immaturity of certain posters. But it wouldn't break my heart if it were permanently disabled.

digitalwanderer said:
I'm just curious, did you post this up before or after I added my latest rep comments to you?
icon_twisted.gif
not sure which post/reply your refering to, but you can check the timestamp on my posts. I started this thread after many threads started crying about why my rep was so low or whatever.

epic

digitalwanderer said:
Easy fix for that, just sign you name to your comment...that's what I do now. :)
Can I start signing your name as well? I may just be a cynic, but I don't believe relying on the honor system in a situation like this would work all that well. You're right, however, that it's an easy fix. It is entirely up to the board administrator how anonymous the reputation system is. Making it less so might open the system up to tit-for-tat or retaliatory use, though. I'd hope that on a board like this people would be above that kind of thing, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Other than that: What, if any, added value does it bring, and are the drawbacks worth it? I'll just reiterate what I said in the other thread: I think the whole system is mostly just added noise. While it may be 'fun' it's not inherently useful and I can see how it could detract from serious discussion.

digitalwanderer said:
icon_twisted.gif
ahh, i finally got what you meant. Was checking my subscribed threads when i saw your comment. I guess its nice that they have a minize button there. Just toggled it, so i wont see it any longer.

Is there a way to get my reputation disabled? Id rather not have a green box or red one. :)

epic

epicstruggle said:
Is there a way to get my reputation disabled? Id rather not have a green box or red one. :)
Dave will have to enable this for all users. Currently it appers that only members of the 'Site Staff' group (and Moderators?) have that option.

Zaphod said:
Dave will have to enable this for all users. Currently it appers that only members of the 'Site Staff' group (and Moderators?) have that option.
is it just a checkbox he has to activate? Im thinking of pm'ing him if its not overly complicated. Im sure he has better things to revie.... err do. ;)

epic

epicstruggle said:
is it just a checkbox he has to activate? Im thinking of pm'ing him if its not overly complicated.
Yes. Unless vBulletin has changed things around since last time I saw an administrator panel it's an simple toggle for the administrator under the Usergroup Manager along with the toggle that control the anonymity of the feedback.

There are lots of other more or less exotic things that can be enabled with the reputation system, but outside the basics most of them require mods. Some sites, for example, also display the users reputation modifiers along with the dots. On... err... 'less mature forums', where reputation is an incentive to behave and to be productive, I have seen this used as a deterrent from 'causing trouble' with the more senior posters. On the other hand it could just as easily curb fruitful discussion in favor of rep-whoring as people, IMO, are vain and don't like the stigma of 'bad reputation' regardless.

I'm already afraid to piss off Digi and LB; the benevolent benafactors of my way to high reputation...

;)

Reactions: jvd
epicstruggle said:
hmm, the star system (for rating threads) seems to also be prone to abuse.
Actually I think that one is more of a case of not many people noticing that feature yet so there are only a couple of people rating threads, another one that should settle itself in after some time. :)

epicstruggle said:
sniff, no i did not. I just want the whole rep thing to be dropped, or the option to opt out.

epic

Why? Little epic likes being on top and he saw there's no way he will, seeing how he will never get good rep from me or dig? :devilish:;)

OI!!! u gave me a bad rep!!!! :LOL:

I believe reputation to be a fine feature. Really the people who have a poor reputation get it one way or the other by ruffling feathers. Now, that's not to say some of it is undeserved. I've gotten two good reputation nods thus far and that's because the comments were found helpful or insightful in some way, at the very least it's made me conscious of what I post.

I find it funny that people actually take the time to make stupid 1 word comments when rating several of my posts.
Some people on these forums have absolutely nothing to do. :LOL:

Back