drinking water in excess and your health

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
can drinking water in excess be harmful? At work I usually drink 2 bottles during the morning (1.5L), and go to the washroom like three times, and the pee is like pure water.......

Drinking a lot of water during the day is quite good for you, but don't try and drink a few gallons all at once. ;)

Drinking a lot of water during the day is quite good for you, but don't try and drink a few gallons all at once. ;)
My brother got quite sick from excessive water drinking even when spaced out throughout the day. As soon as he lowered the amount, he got better.

epic

My brother got quite sick from excessive water drinking even when spaced out throughout the day. As soon as he lowered the amount, he got better.

epic
Well, it would have to be an excessive amount. And you know what they say about excesses. ;)

Drinking up to five liters of water each day can be a good thing, depending on your activities and the climate you're in. Normally, two or three liters a day is considered very healthy. And you can get by with only about one liter a day, if needed.

Coffee and alcohol actually increase the requirement, as does hot weather.

As Russ said, too much or too little water is bad for your electrostatic balance. But the variance possible is pretty wide, and drinking more is generally better than drinking less.

i can give my experience (im quite big, weightlifter ~95kg) + drink about 10liters of water a day ( even in bed last night i managed to polish off a full 1.5liter bottle water during the night, in fact that was the reason i got up this morning cause, i was thirsty + the bottle was empty :D, also had about 1liter of red wine last night in bed as well),
( yes i do piss about twice an hour, which is good as it stretches my legs ).

a worse danger is coffee, for many years ive been drinking about 8 liters of coffee a day, but over the last year or so, ive felt my heart skip a beat every so often. apparently coffee can cause this, so recently ive cut down to 1-1.5 liters a day, to early to say if it helps.
just finished my first mug of the day 0.5liter, i wanna refill it, but wont until 1-2pm, i feel like a smoker giving up the habit

I drink coffee before i sleep. Works for my body, than again, i sleep 3 times a day because of my work schedule.

You have a very unhealthy work schedule. Try to delegate. It's the thing you need to be able to do to grow big.

You have a very unhealthy work schedule. Try to delegate. It's the thing you need to be able to do to grow big.
Ive been splitting my sleep in 2s or 3s since i was about 14. Just used to it by now, however (to get back on topic. :) ) Ive been been having to wake and pee, sign of old age i guess. :???: Now i dont drink as much, before heading to sleep.

The key to delegating isn't in thinking: "I want it to be done well, so I'll have to do it myself", but in thinking: "I am going to fix everything so it runs swell while I sleep".

:)

in my previous job i was working nights (get home at 5-6am), lotsa ppl there were starting at 3am, working to 11am go home to sleep a few hours, then wake up, do whatever then sleep again at ~9pm etc.
ie 2 sleeps a day, bugger that, not for me i find it hard enuf getting to sleep once (being an insomniac)

instead of coffee waking me up, it tends to make me more focused.

one drinking record i wouldnt mind going for, 53 beers on a flight, ive managed 40 once from amsterdam->sydney ( i remember at the end this helpful little girl sitting next to me in the plane, when the stewardess came around with the rubbish bag getting all the empty cans out from under the seats ahead of me one at a time, took ages, all eyes staring daggers in my direction :) ),
i wasnt even drunk at the end, ie drunk myself sober, remember my sis picking me up in the taxi, winecask in hand + we went to the pub

Back