Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

IIRC the development of the game was made possible, in part, by a gov't (Finland?) grant. It was connected to the cinematic feature of the game.

IIRC the development of the game was made possible, in part, by a gov't (Finland?) grant. It was connected to the cinematic feature of the game.
Almost. They got ~€200.000 from The Norwegian Film Fund. Tørnquist has said that such a grant was in no way decisive, but that it was good to get the official 'sign of approval' that his trade could also be art.
I really hope they sold enough copies to make the third part of the trilogy. If you haven't bought this game, you're part of the problem.
As for how well it's doing and how that relates to a possible sequel, the Funcom Q2 and Q3 financial reports basically state that the XBOX version sucks while the PC version is doing better than expected. Currently they recognize an accumulated ~$3.5 million in revenue for Dreamfall since March.

Perhaps, someone who knows more than me about current dev costs of games could answer whether that’s enough to contemplate a sequel.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...lead-actress-needs-money-for-medical-expenses

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall lead actress Sarah Hamilton (the voice of April Ryan) is in dire straits after suffering from multiple sclerosis and stage 2 parotid (salivary) gland cancer for over a decade.

Diagnosed with the former in 2002 and the latter only 18 months later, Hamilton's medical misfortune just kept getting worse. Her back was operated on in 2010 due to a completely extruded disc, while 2013 saw her slip on some ice resulting in necessary hand surgery to fix a ruptured tendon.
In addition to all of this, plus a host of migraines (an estimated 10 a month, down from 25), Hamilton's situation went from bad to worse last month when she needed a fusion of her spine, leaving her bound to the hospital for four days. That sort of thing isn't cheap in America. Worse, the stress made the multiple sclerosis relapse, causing vertigo - a hazard given Hamilton's already fragile spine.
"'What's my opportunity here?' is a question I never cease asking myself," Hamilton said on her GoFundMe page. "I am a woman who doesn't allow life's challenges to get in the way of my growth. In fact, I believe challenges are to be overcome in order to transform our lives and allow us all to find the joy that is our birthright." As such, she continued working during this time, though she told Polygon last year that she once needed a brief six-month hiatus when her salivary gland cancer affected her throat too much to act.

The link to her funding page: http://www.gofundme.com/8fbxk8

http://www.gofundme.com/8fbxk8

Last edited by a moderator:
That's sad, although at the same time kinda weird that she is having to pay for it all. With Obamacare here now everything is covered even if you have pre-existing conditions, I know my coverage here in California would pay for it all with a bare minimum of out of pocket costs. Strange, unless maybe she is in some state that has fought against Obamacare coverage so maybe that's why she is having to pay.

That's sad, although at the same time kinda weird that she is having to pay for it all. With Obamacare here now everything is covered even if you have pre-existing conditions, I know my coverage here in California would pay for it all with a bare minimum of out of pocket costs. Strange, unless maybe she is in some state that has fought against Obamacare coverage so maybe that's why she is having to pay.

She has a lot of old bills, and, afaik, even under ACA coverage there can be a hefty deductible. Then there is the cost of medication.

She has a lot of old bills, and, afaik, even under ACA coverage there can be a hefty deductible. Then there is the cost of medication.

Yeah I guess old bills could do it as well. For deductible here in California it's really small. For example even if my medical bill is 1 million dollars, my maximum out of pocket is around $5000. Again though maybe that varies per state, they really embraced ACA here in California so healthcare here is excellent whereas other states didn't seem interested in participating.

Back