Dragon Age III: Inquisition. Standard official discussion thread [XO,PS4,PS3,X360]

I'm like 15 hours in and can't figure out if this game is any good. It seems I walk around picking up plants most of the time. Combat is spammy and doesn't last long. The voice acting is good, but I'm tired of hearing the Mass Effect guy's voice coming from my horned giant.

The locations are interesting, but it seems like most of the game is filler. Also, the Drogon Age world is just not that interesting, it's just another Tolkien knockoff.

I'm like 15 hours in and can't figure out if this game is any good. It seems I walk around picking up plants most of the time. Combat is spammy and doesn't last long. The voice acting is good, but I'm tired of hearing the Mass Effect guy's voice coming from my horned giant.

The locations are interesting, but it seems like most of the game is filler. Also, the Drogon Age world is just not that interesting, it's just another Tolkien knockoff.
I would just do the things you want to. You can avoid all side quests. You don't need to gather herbs to have free pots, you just need herbs if you need to craft things. You can finish the game without having to craft. And sometimes it's best to just craft when it's the right time to craft. Collecting everything is just a stain on your life and there are no achievements that I can see that requires you to complete the game with all side quests completed.

yups, its better experience to just skip-em-all. Heck, i only do the main "inquisition line quest" lol. the other major quest, i simply skip em.

I have played only a couple of hours so far, but I'm definitely liking this more than Mass Effect. I could never really get into those games. The combat really bothered me. The combat here doesn't seem that interesting either, but it also doesn't outright annoy me like it did in Mass Effect. I think I just like magic, swords and arrows better than shooting, but the 'magic' in Mass Effect also just seemed really fiddly to use. And the world just seems more interesting to walk around in than in Mass Effect, perhaps partly because it's bigger and more open, and more nature, not sure. I think I might enjoy this game maybe even just because I've avoided many other games like it. ;) I could imagine this gets old for people who've already played a lot of Bioware games or even Western RPGs in general, but I'm also seeing huge differences in response to the game, with some people (including Bioware fans) really loving it to bits like the Gamers with Jobs guys, and others being very meh on it (like the Giant Bomb guys).

I'm glad most of the optional quests are truly optional, that's good to know. :) I've gotten stuck in all Final Fantasy games that I tried before because I just didn't know you needed to grind to level up, or once or twice, got into an area where it was too late for grinding so I basically had to start over (I think this happened to me in FFXII, not sure).

I just presumed it's everything that's marked as a quest target by default, so in order to keep track of what to do next I try to remember that one, or even just don't bother to set the marker for anything else I see on the map, but just walk in that direction.

I have like 35 points or whatever they are, I think I'm doing every quest. Leveling up seems very slow, unless the game is a lot longer than I'm thinking. I'm at hour 18 or so and only level 10. What level is considered end game?

This game makes me miss Dragon's Dogma, I prefer good combat and less talking.

I have like 35 points or whatever they are, I think I'm doing every quest. Leveling up seems very slow, unless the game is a lot longer than I'm thinking. I'm at hour 18 or so and only level 10. What level is considered end game?

This game makes me miss Dragon's Dogma, I prefer good combat and less talking.
End game is anywhere between level 16-19. On harder and nightmare difficulties you're going to need to be higher. I'm struggling to output enough damage, I need better gear, the mobs take a substantial beating. At times I've had to bring in my Knight Enchanter and just settle things cause I didn't want to suffer the pain of 35 minute battles.

Will get this on the PC for better control options. Combat better be like DA: 1.

In some ways I find the combat to be worse in DA: I, but that's perhaps more because there are fewer "automatic" actions with movement than in the previous games with the greater emphasis on manual combat. Tactical mode also seems broken and useless. I can't help but feel the switch to Frostbite 3 was a bad one. DA2's engine at least worked.

Trying to pick something up - can't just right-click to tell a character to move all the way across the land to pick something up. Now you have to manually go right up to the object. The less I have to hold down the key to move in an open-world setting (i.e. a long game), the better my experience. The auto-run key is there, but it's just not as flexible or convenient as point-to-move-to-location (with path finding) ala DA1/2.

What's even more ridiculous is the harvesting - it's a waste of memory and development time implementing animations instead of just having instant-pick-up. This is apparently more important to have in a game (especially on last gen) than a holster animation was in ME3. I probably could have finished the game in 45 hours instead of 70 if I weren't spending all that time watching my character bend over.

The UI is of course, just terrible. Especially sorting the "valuables", which apparently covers junk and also side-quest items (inconsequential, but part of the silly collectibles), so for the better part of the game I was selling "valuables" that could have been used for those crafting/collection side-quests.

They also need a button to "view all" so I can get rid of that silly star that tells me I picked up something new, but I don't give a s**t aboot in the grand scheme. If I don't have the resource, the craft table or notifier toaster tells me I don't have it. That's all I need to know.

Last edited:
PlayStation, pick enemy drops
PlayStation, go to skyhold

nope, i cant do that :(

sometime i want an RPG to be able to be controlled fully by voice. Will allow me to play while eating, while working, while doing sport...

doh. got broken quest. nowhere on war-room map.
- before the dawn (side quest must be done before main quest or it will gone forever)
- what pride had wrough (main quest)

even skyrim on PC with crazy amount as mods not as buggy as this lol.

In some ways I find the combat to be worse in DA: I, but that's perhaps more because there are fewer "automatic" actions with movement than in the previous games with the greater emphasis on manual combat. Tactical mode also seems broken and useless. I can't help but feel the switch to Frostbite 3 was a bad one. DA2's engine at least worked.

Trying to pick something up - can't just right-click to tell a character to move all the way across the land to pick something up. Now you have to manually go right up to the object. The less I have to hold down the key to move in an open-world setting (i.e. a long game), the better my experience. The auto-run key is there, but it's just not as flexible or convenient as point-to-move-to-location (with path finding) ala DA1/2.

What's even more ridiculous is the harvesting - it's a waste of memory and development time implementing animations instead of just having instant-pick-up. This is apparently more important to have in a game (especially on last gen) than a holster animation was in ME3. I probably could have finished the game in 45 hours instead of 70 if I weren't spending all that time watching my character bend over.

The UI is of course, just terrible. Especially sorting the "valuables", which apparently covers junk and also side-quest items (inconsequential, but part of the silly collectibles), so for the better part of the game I was selling "valuables" that could have been used for those crafting/collection side-quests.

They also need a button to "view all" so I can get rid of that silly star that tells me I picked up something new, but I don't give a s**t aboot in the grand scheme. If I don't have the resource, the craft table or notifier toaster tells me I don't have it. That's all I need to know.

Hi Al :)

Appreciate the heads up. I'll keep an eye out on mods or official updates that make it more PC friendly. I don't have the patience to fight a game these days.

A hundred times this..
Have you seen Ben Yahtzee's take on the game? The Zero Punctuation on DA:I goes over this and it's ridiculous how so few reviews mention it.
I stopped playing the game for over a month because I couldn't stand any more harvesting (which BTW is totally important for some sidequests).
As in, you have to find 50 of these ultra-rare flowers if you want to upgrade your blacksmith!

Bioware seems to have a thing with making gamers suffer through pointless harvesting activities. Remember the harvesting in ME2? Slowly rotating the planet until you found the ore?
And some of that was really important for some companion sidequests, which pretty much decided the game's ending.

you have to find 50 of these ultra-rare flowers if you want to upgrade your blacksmith!
It's a well known fact that orchids are necessary for the production of maraging steel :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
<rant>
I am still avoiding this game.
I've played Origins, it was mediocre in my opinion, and skipped the second one.
Each time I read about DA:I, it looks like to be about pointless time wasters.
It looks like they got inspired by "Collect 50 wolf pets so you can pass this quest" WOW abysmal game design..

I'm completely addicted to this. Loved the series so far, but I've logged far more hours on this than the others - probably spent about 200H on my first run through and then immediately went into a nightmare run that I've logged about the same far.

Not sure I get the harvesting issues - if you're playing on normal mode you can pretty much get through without upgrading potions; I did some towards the end of the game just to pick up the achieve. (And, IIRC, the Blacksmith upgrade comes via a mission on the War Table)

<rant>
I am still avoiding this game.
I've played Origins, it was mediocre in my opinion, and skipped the second one.
Each time I read about DA:I, it looks like to be about pointless time wasters.
It looks like they got inspired by "Collect 50 wolf pets so you can pass this quest" WOW abysmal game design..

I'm not that far yet (spending too much time on building my site), but isn't that mostly optional and only an issue if you hang around in the first area too long/are ocd and can't leave dumb optional quests alone? ;)

Back