Doom [2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I've been looking forward to this game, this news is all pretty disappointing to me. I really enjoyed the tense horror atmosphere of Doom 3 and was hoping for something similar here, that's not to say what has been described doesn't sound like great fun too.

But then there's the graphics:

Graphics aren't groundbreaking, but does look much better than Rage and significantly better than TNO. Overall, they're true to the gritty industrial tendencies of the series, complimented by very moody use of light and shadow.

The game will have multiplayer and will appear on XBOX1, PS4 and PC with a promise of 1080p 60FPS.

Doom is supposed to be the pinnacle of graphics when it's released, very disappointing to hear that it won't be and also very disappointed to hear about the 1080p 60fps target which in effect means dumbed down graphics for PC users to accommodate console limitations. I'd be much happier with a 720p 30fps console target and then play at 1080p 60fps on PC anyway!

Also quite fearful that id are going to do that lame ass thing of "ensuring parity between all platforms" yet again. After this news they have a long way to go to convince me this game is pushing PC's like all their other Doom games have.

Some random on my twitter who was apparently there was all "Doom is the coolest thing I've ever seen!" or something. So there's that.

Sounds to me like it could be the usual "everybody goes apeshit over the gore rather than quality" type thing though.

And the whole ripping the arms off and beating thing was done by at least Gears of War and I'm sure a few others in the past. I guess Mortal Kombat.

^maybe this time around they actually wanna make a memorable game too. Not just a tech demo.

Whatever your thoughts on Doom 3 (I thought it was awesome), Doom 1 was in it's day the pinnacle of graphics and pushed the highest end PC hardware to it's limits. And I think you'd have a hard time finding anyone that thinks the original Doom (and Doom 2) were just tech demo's and not memorable.

Besides, I don't see why pushing graphics and having good gameplay are mutually exclusive. Plenty of games have proven that they aren't.

Doom 1 was in it's day the pinnacle of graphics and pushed the highest end PC hardware to it's limits.

Haha, I still remember getting that to run on one of the school's computers (386, if I remember correctly). A while later my brother and I got a PlayStation each so we could play it co-op, which we did by juggling the (one) disc between the two machines. Happy days.

Haha, I still remember getting that to run on one of the school's computers (386, if I remember correctly). A while later my brother and I got a PlayStation each so we could play it co-op, which we did by juggling the (one) disc between the two machines. Happy days.

I dont understand how you did it. Did it have local co op between two consoles via cable link and swapped the disc so it would load for both? That sounds cool!

Uh, why not just make two copies of the one disc...? The game wasn't copy protected, and it's not as if 3.5" "high-density" floppies were in short supply back in the 90s. :p

I feel perplexed about zenimax's (IMO fucking stupid) decision to not release the game videos worldwide. These muppets really do go out of their way to piss people off don't they. Zenimax striving hard to achieve the crown prince of evil/bobby kotick level of douchebaggery.

Uh, why not just make two copies of the one disc...? The game wasn't copy protected, and it's not as if 3.5" "high-density" floppies were in short supply back in the 90s. :p

I feel perplexed about zenimax's (IMO fucking stupid) decision to not release the game videos worldwide. These muppets really do go out of their way to piss people off don't they. Zenimax striving hard to achieve the crown prince of evil/bobby kotick level of douchebaggery.
Since when did a Playstation run off floppies? ;)

I dont understand how you did it. Did it have local co op between two consoles via cable link and swapped the disc so it would load for both? That sounds cool!

Yep, standard network cable between them, then load the game on one then switch the disc to the other. If I remember correctly, you needed to do it for each mission too.

Ridge Racer had a similar thing where you could switch the disc once the game loaded to one of your own CDs to listen to. I guess the whole game must have fit on the 1MB (or whatever it was) of memory the original PlayStation had.

Yep, standard network cable between them, then load the game on one then switch the disc to the other. If I remember correctly, you needed to do it for each mission too.

Ridge Racer had a similar thing where you could switch the disc once the game loaded to one of your own CDs to listen to. I guess the whole game must have fit on the 1MB (or whatever it was) of memory the original PlayStation had.
Nice "hack" there!! ;)
It must have been a blast.

I used to change the music in Wipeout by changing the CD too :)
Although the soundtrack is still one of the best

Good times.

Oh yeah, Chemical Beats still reminds me of Wipeout. True classic. :)

Indeed. I believe that game opened the world of electronic music in many of us. It really inspired me.

I still load Wipeout HD/FURY with good old Wipeout soundtracks ;)

Indeed. I believe that game opened the world of electronic music in many of us. It really inspired me.

I still load Wipeout HD/FURY with good old Wipeout soundtracks ;)

Under the influence aka Bass Test! Classic and quite dangerous when played in the car outside of German Autobahn :D

IIRC, the Doom 3's graphics were considered spectacular and state-of-the-art when they were dirst shown for the first time in a teaser in late 2001.
I got tired of seeing "best graphics card for Doom 3" articles everywhere in late 2001.
Then the game got delayed again and again and only showed up in the shelves in 2004.
I pity the people who bought an expensive graphics card in late 2001 for Doom 3 and then waited until that GPU got obsolete..

In 2004 it wasn't that spectacular anymore. Far Cry released a couple of months earlier and took some of the storm with it. Half Life 2 was released a couple of months later and people generally preferred HL2's graphics for its outdoors scenarios.

IIRC, the Doom 3's graphics were considered spectacular and state-of-the-art when they were dirst shown for the first time in a teaser in late 2001.
I got tired of seeing "best graphics card for Doom 3" articles everywhere in late 2001.
Then the game got delayed again and again and only showed up in the shelves in 2004.
I pity the people who bought an expensive graphics card in late 2001 for Doom 3 and then waited until that GPU got obsolete..

In 2004 it wasn't that spectacular anymore. Far Cry released a couple of months earlier and took some of the storm with it. Half Life 2 was released a couple of months later and people generally preferred HL2's graphics for its outdoors scenarios.

Doom 3 was, for all intents and purposes, an almost complete fail, releaed to a world where the competition managed to push the genre forward by either having more compelling stories or open world environments, or both. All Doom 3 had was 'scary' shadows, a couple of scary jump out of your seat moments - which by the time you actually played through the had been largely spoilt by online videos and therefore not shocking anymore - and most of all, it had nothing to grip a gamer to it for long, apart from the pretty graphics which got old very fast. And I have very little faith that Doom 4 -or whatever they call it - will change that.

That's my view anyway.

I am not offended in any way, because they clearly advertised that general public will not get the video stream and the game could very easily be in rough shape. There were reports that framerate was not always smooth 60fps, and one of the speakers mentioned that "more will be shown next year".

It was certainly matched by both Far Cry and HL2 by the time it released but even just being on par with those two games put it at the pinnacle of graphics for it's time and it was certainly pushing high end PC's to their limits. It sounds like all you'll need to push this game to it's limits may be a 7790.

Graphics complexity is more then just resolutions and frame rates. The dismemberment and gore stuff sounds fairly complex, we didn't see too many things like that before. The entire art pipeline has to be seriously advanced to accommodate it, as well as the animation system. It's just not that easy to list as bullet point features and impossible to do comparisons with other games.

Doom3 was bland, uninspired and feels like a plagiarization of Half Life 1. Both games start with a long transportation scene to an underground science lab/base, then something goes wrong and you try to find out what and in the end you switch to another dimension.

Last edited by a moderator:
Graphics complexity is more then just resolutions and frame rates. The dismemberment and gore stuff sounds fairly complex, we didn't see too many things like that before. The entire art pipeline has to be seriously advanced to accommodate it, as well as the animation system. It's just not that easy to list as bullet point features and impossible to do comparisons with other games.

Anybody who played Dead Space 1-3 has seen a *lot* of dismemberment. Who hasn't loved to spike their enemies with these body parts when the ammo was low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back