Does Jak and Daxter use trilinear filtering?

I was thinking about purchasing J&D along with a ps2, however, being the nitpicker I am I wanted to know if the game used trilinear filtering and mip-mapping. Games without it, no matter how many polygons/dynmic geometric elements bother me extremely. This problem began ever since I played games Radeon 9700pro with 16x quality anisotropic and 4x AA (yes, I admit it). I am spoiled and will take nothing less than trilinear filtering.

On a second note (a long-winded aside, which I may reuse someday), I currently own the gamecube and find it to be very strong in the texturing/shading aspects, a good value with it's sleek design, great 1st and second party titles, and relatively smooth gameplay. What I do miss/ feel is lacking sorley on the cube is significant support for dynamic geometry, physics, vertex displacement effects, etc. To satiate this need I look toward the PS2 (being that I tried the xbox and found it to be a weaker value in the light of my good computer system along with the fact that I wanted console specific titles). From the looks of it, it seems that the PS2's EE rivals the xbox in vertex and transform capabilites (with soley VU1, which can output around 3.77gflops compared to the 4.2gflops produced by both NV2A's vertex processors combined, along with the fact that VU1 can branch, loop, and is globally a more flexible engine). Although the VU1 will also have to light vertices (assuming NV2A uses per-pixel lighting) the NV2A also has to provide the vertex transforms for its pixel combiners. All this VU1 processing allows the remainder of the emotion engine to do some incredible things (things in the realm of single precision floating-point physics, AI, sound encoding, higher order surfaces, etc.). This is not including the GS (although it has good raw, very raw performance, it is fairly low tech). The mips+VU0 combo provides good competition for the xbox p3 in the realm of fully fledged physics and AI.

All of these great things, and just a lack of trilinear filtering would turn me off to all of it. Any comments/opinions/responses would be greatly appreciated.

I think J&D does use triliner and I'm almost 100% sure it has mip-mapping. The game is extremely polygon rich and is running at a steady 60FPS. Ratchet & Clank is probably even more impressive polygon-wise, but I think it has lower texture quality than J&D.

Some other impressive looking PS2 games include Metal Gear Solid 2, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Ico, Gran Turismo 3, Burnout 2, Ace Combat 4, Lord of the Rings: Two Towers, Silent Hill 2, Onimusha 2, Zone of the Enders.

I seem to remember that J&D has some texture shimering, but it's still a good looking game. If you're looking for a game with good IQ then BG:DA is a good bet. Allthough the game is a little simple for hardcore gamers.

Luminescent said:
...I wanted to know if the game used trilinear filtering and mip-mapping. Games without it, no matter how many polygons/dynmic geometric elements bother me extremely.

If it bothers you so much and only one game at present can be confirmed to have it, how can you justify even considering a purchase of the console? Seems like a lot to hang over a single video feature. I would say to just stick with PC games. OTOH, buy a particular console because it has the games you want to play on it, not because it promises a certain feature or not. That's just silly, IMO.

I was exaggerating a bit too much. But the fact of the matter is, if a 3d game is not going be clean and decent (at least for the era of technology which its in), I prefer playing a well made 2d game.

I can understand if you are worried about presentation (not to mention the more important, "Is it fun to play" issue), but worrying about specific features is a slippery slope, IMO. In the former case, one only has to be concerned with a game-by-game basis for a given console (i.e, how well the developer did their job).

Funny thing is randy, if it isn't fun to play, I dislike it and if it isn't fun to watch I do too. I guess I like the best of both worlds (who doesn't?). Thing is that Visible mip-map boundaries, to me, are almost as bad as jaggies all over the place.

There isn't really anything "funny" about it at all, as I suspect that you are saying that in a facetious tone.

No one is arguing that a decent showing in both areas are a necessity. Unless the artifacts you specify are absolutely horrid, I can tolerate a good amount if the gameplay is strong. If the artwork is quite endearing and rich, that is usually quite enough for me to lose site of little artifacts altogether. Call me easy, but I try not to let my game experiences get ruined by little details (unless those details are indeed, not little at all).

Something just tells me that you would be slightly more picky in that respect over specific feature implementations such as mipmapping quality and trilinear filtering. If that is true, I would tend to believe that consoles are not for you (not because of the hardware capabilities of said consoles, but the great variance in development from game to game).

He has a trilinear fetish... some people certainly have weirder fetishes.. Hey whatever turns you on Luminiscent. ;)

Well, since it seems you deem technology as the most important feature on a console, then don´t get one. PS2 easily has a bigger list of quality titles than any other console out there (and are as console-style as they can get), being objective, but if a couple of graphical mistakes spoil your fun, then don´t get one.

Besides, it´s not like we want another PS2 hater in these boards. :p :)

No guys, its no fettish, just an obsession (only kidding), and I really meant what I said randy, no masquerade . I guess I stretched the truth a bit too much in my initial post. I respect each console for their given strenghts (obviously texturing is not one of the ps2's), however it does not hurt to have texture clarity (and if I had to choose between 2 equally good titles, I would choose the one with more technical merit). Since I am spoiled by today's pc standards, I probably wouldn't be too happy with bilinear, or point-sample filtering, but if it was a great, I mean great game, I might go for it.

Back