Does HDD SMART ever be useful for you?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by orangpelupa, Sep 5, 2019.

?

HDD smart useful?

1. Yep! I got SMART warning, backup the data, and awhile later it goes kaput

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Useless! I got broken HDD with healthy SMART

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. SMART is so dumb

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

It is not a result, the 197 number is the numeric ID for the indicator known as "Current pending sector count". Its like its Social Security ID or its Tax ID. It is not the reading of that field. A good result for that field is 0.

Once again, do some reading like the previously included wiki article.

2. Davros

Legend

I read the wiki
    it tells me for example
    Soft Read Error Rate low is good, which is something at least, but what is low? is 100 low, is it high I have no idea

3. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

4. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

Snippets to entice you to read full article:

Let’s stay focused on SMART stats and take a look at the table below which shows percentage of both failed and operational drives, which are reporting a RAW value that is greater than zero for the SMART stat listed.

[​IMG]
    While no single SMART stat is found in all failed hard drives, here’s what happens when we consider all five SMART stats as a group.

Operational drives with one or more of our five SMART stats greater than zero – 4.2%

Failed drives with one or more of our five SMART stats greater than zero – 76.7%

That means that 23.3% of failed drives showed no warning from the SMART stats we record. Are these stats useful? I’ll let you decide if you’d like to have a sign of impending drive failure 76.7% of the time. But before you decide, read on.

5. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

I think both of my HDD have false positive SMART failure status.

it has been marked as fail for years. The pending sector count also has been on the danger zone for years.

While my clicking HDD and Uber slow SSD have false negative SMART failure status.

BTW for those looking to buy used HDD, be careful, some sellers mislabel their HDD (firecuda label but uts actually barracuda) and wiped the SMART data (the data shows zero used hours, etc)

6. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

Those are not false positives for the spinners. Those are real concerns.

7. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

currently its been 3 or 4 years with that smart condition. Now im curious when it will croak. (1 HGST, 1 Seagate)

8. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

I just found this thread and wanted to select all voting options ...

I've seen few thousands of drives through the years and SMART saved me a lot of problems with failing drives at customers. I've seen it where drive failed without a warning, like the heads just fell off, and I had one drive in my son's PC as a game storage which was showing relocated sectors back in 2011 (Samsung SpinPoint 640GB). It lasted till we retired it last year without any problems :)

So yes, in majority of cases S.M.A.R.T. is useful and does what it says!

A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y likes this.
  9. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

And that's fine for a single drive for a consumer that may not be too worried about the data on the drive. But even for my home NAS with 5 drives, having periodic tests and warnings about possible failures, I replace them ASAP. For Enterprise? Notification goes to relevant department and drives are replaced at whatever schedule they have set based on redundancy and severity, usually within 24 hours.

BRiT likes this.