Do you think it would be a mistake for MS and/or Sony to launch in 2012?

Too early to launch in 2012?

• Yes

Votes: 56 65.9%
  • No

Votes: 29 34.1%

• Total voters
Your link only mentions Samsung having better capacity commitment (which makes sense as neither AMD, nor Nvidia use Samsung ... not sure about the other TSMC customers) and cheaper pricing.

"Apple isn’t taking risks. Samsung offers better pricing and capacity commitment for the A6 mobile APs," the reported quoted an executive from another Apple supplier as saying.

As for me providing yield/cost projections, I did.

Apparently these projections were "ridiculous", but I never saw a reply outlining why.

Never showed a prior yield ramp with cost reductions which could be compared and thus proving my projections as "ridiculous".

Instead we get "nope, not gonna happen" or "too expensive" with nothing to backup such a claim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your link only mentions Samsung having better capacity commitment (which makes sense as neither AMD, nor Nvidia use Samsung ... not sure about the other TSMC customers) and cheaper pricing.

No, that's not all it mentioned. Re-read the parts pertaining to TSMC. It isn't so magical.

Samsung is ramping production of the A6 quad-core application processor for Apple because rival foundry TSMC has yet to stabilize its own production
Wonder why that is? 28nm should be easy according to you.

TSMC will provide customized chips with designs from Apple, however, the volume will be very small," the report quoted the executive as saying.
Samsung offers better pricing and capacity commitment
Yes, TSMC has other customers to attend to, but the original statement/argument was surrounding MS/Sony worrying about supply when Apple requires so much more.

So if TSMC can't help out Apple for their smaller chip, what makes you think it'll be that much better for MS or Sony?

Well gee, if Samsung is offering better pricing, then that must mean TSMC has really awful pricing. And you yourself even brought up the news item on TSMC increasing prices.

Does it really sound like a good idea to launch in 2012? (Don't answer, I know you're just going to say yes)

As for me providing yield/cost projections, I did.

No, you started pulling numbers and assumptions out of air to do some calculations that don't really mean anything because there aren't any solid numbers to rely upon.

So you found the current wafer capacity. And then you found out what the maximum supported capacity is for TSMC, but yet you go on to make dubious calculations assuming how TSMC will fare in 2012 when there is nothing more to go on but lovely, vague (and biased) PR statements - in other words, hardly reliable for any sort of calculation. The worst part is that with these calculations you go on to spout it as fact that your numbers prove that it is a viable node to mass produce and absorb the associated costs. Unforunately, you also just discard just how much capacity will be taken up by the other customers. But because you seem to have no numbers there, you just ignore it.

Furthermore, you make even more dubious comparisons to 90nm using the rather suspect PR statements, particularly ignoring the physical properties/qualities and equipment that differentiate 90nm and 28nm manufacturing.

You also seem to have forgotten how long TSMC has delayed 28nm due to difficulties with the process. The signs are written on the wall. It's not a simple job.

No, that's not all it mentioned. Re-read the parts pertaining to TSMC. It isn't so magical.

Read the report again, still not seeing anything damning WRT TSMC's ability to ramp 28nm production into 2012.

No, you started pulling numbers and assumptions out of air to do some calculations that don't really mean anything because there aren't any solid numbers to rely upon.

I pulled the only facts I could find WRT price, production capabilities, current impressions of the node progress by customers (not TSMC marketing), expected density/TDP improvement over 40nm (which is backed up by previous full node transitions) and previous actions of the buyer/customer.

If you have some facts which dispute them, be my guest.

I've been waiting ... ages ... for someone to follow up their "28nm can't/won't happen in 2012" with some data which shows why they've come to this conclusion.

Yes, TSMC has other customers, just as they did with 150nm and 90nm. Why is it now all of a sudden improbable that MS would be able to get their chips produced alongside AMD and Nvidia within the same year of a new node just as they did for 90nm and 150nm?

What makes this node so specially expensive and prohibitive for MS that they would avoid it where they didn't feel the need to be so cautious on 150nm and 90nm?

Why is this node so prohibitive for MS but not so for Nvidia and AMD?

Where is the line which is crossed that says, "this is too expensive"? How much is too expensive and how did you come to the conclusion that the theoretical 300nm^2 28nm chips produced in q3 of this year would reach beyond this "too expensive" threashold?

Along the same lines, how few is too few for production of said chips for launch and how do you come to the conclusion that the number your thinking is all that MS could manage to get out of TSMC in 2012?

I fully understand that as a general rule, when the node is first produced, yields are low and thus it is more expensive and produces fewer chips than when it is mature, but I find it difficult to understand how you come to such an outright statement of "won't happen" without quantifying it.

And as I said, I find it difficult to believe that all of a sudden with 28nm, everything is diferent and MS can no longer afford to launch on a new node when they have done so previously with the past two consoles on 150 and 90nm.

Why is this node so different and why did this difference not deter Nvidia and AMD?

Edit: just saw your snip about TSMC production not yet fit for a6, but it is very early in the running here. There is a long time between now and q3/2012.

Edit2: I didn't mean to imply 28nm is a simple job, but it is expected that 6-9 months after production on a new node starts, yields should be reasonable (50-60%).

Edit2: I didn't mean to imply 28nm is a simple job, but it is expected that 6-9 months after production on a new node starts, yields should be reasonable (50-60%).

Based on what information (and past nodes aren't really relevant to the difficulties they may face on 28nm)? What size part? And does that number include bins which won't be happening for a console?

Example Yield improvement on 40nm:

The company had previously improved yield rates for its 40nm processes to around 60% from as low as 20-30% in the second quarter of 2009.

http://www.techspot.com/news/36781-tsmc-40nm-yield-issues-to-affect-amd-and-nvidia.html

So judging from this chain of events:
q2/2009 20-30%
q3/2009 60%
q4/2009 40%
q1/2010 60%

Talk of yields in this case was relative to GPUs by AMD/Nividia.

Obviously binning can be utilized in these cases where in a console binning is impossible (unless radical steps are taken which change how we think of a console and what other uses these chips may find) so the yield would be lower than a comparable gpu line.

and past nodes aren't really relevant to the difficulties they may face on 28nm

Well if we can't use past nodes to estimate what future ramping will look like, I suppose you will have to pass me the keys to the DeLorean.

see post above for yield ramp if the DeLorean won't start again.

Read the report again, still not seeing anything damning WRT TSMC's ability to ramp 28nm production into 2012.

Apple is going to Samsung, with whom they are having patent issues, for manufacturing of their product instead of TSMC because TSMC does not have a "stabilized" process and will only have low volume for them due to everyone else bugging TSMC for manufacturing.

I've been waiting ... ages ... for someone to follow up their "28nm can't/won't happen in 2012" with some data which shows why they've come to this conclusion.
The problem is that you're on the belief that the opposing argument is that 28nm is impossible. It's not impossible.

Yes, TSMC has other customers, just as they did with 150nm and 90nm. Why is it now all of a sudden improbable that MS would be able to get their chips produced alongside AMD and Nvidia within the same year of a new node just as they did for 90nm and 150nm?
360 chips had very awful yields going by the Takahashi book. The situation surrounding the 360's design process and launch was a helluva rushed schedule, and look where it got them with RROD. Of course, MS was much more desperate back then than they are now. Do you really think they want to repeat that?

Do you believe they even see Nintendo as a threat to their associated early-adopter audience, whom you also identify as the hardcore. Launching early doesn't matter to the mass market who jump on board later.

What makes this node so specially expensive and prohibitive for MS that they would avoid it where they didn't feel the need to be so cautious on 150nm and 90nm?
I've already described the inherent difficulties with process nodes as you go smaller and smaller. The equipment used is much more complex and expensive. These translate to higher manufacturing costs early on so that TSMC can recoup R&D (just how long have they delayed already) for starters. Limited supply also drives up that price further, and you've already shown us the article about TSMC asking for more money.

Why is this node so prohibitive for MS but not so for Nvidia and AMD?
Both companies are trying to push the envelope of GPUs. You honestly don't see the difference? TDPs and power have soared enormously for the PC users, up to 200W currently. They need a new node so they don't end up with a low yield unfeasible die. They're already pushing the limits of where they want to go with 40nm.

nVidia is already at the high end of die sizes (~500mm^2). Pushing onwards for double performance is going to require a new node to bring down the die size to something that can actually be physically possible (reticle size limits essentially put the die size limit at about 600mm^2 maximum). AMD has enough issues with finances to want to make a low yield part.

MS isn't in the same boat, not even close. The question for them is why they should jump onto a next gen whilst utilizing a new node (to push a design they were originally planning for 2013-2014) that is invariably going to cause similar horror flashbacks of 360 launch units for 2012?

Where is the line which is crossed that says, "this is too expensive"? How much is too expensive and how did you come to the conclusion that the theoretical 300nm^2 28nm chips produced in q3 of this year would reach beyond this "too expensive" threashold?
Neither Xenos nor Waternoose were anywhere near 300mm^2, let alone 200mm^2 and yet they had crazy yield issues.

Edit: just saw your snip about TSMC production not yet fit for a6, but it is very early in the running here. There is a long time between now and q3/2012.
A couple things: Apple seems to be starting to stock up now (at Samsung). Second they've gone to Samsung out of necessity (despite other legal issues to boot) because TSMC quite clearly has been deemed unworthy of the risk. They simply don't believe they can get the capacity they need.

Apple is going to Samsung, with whom they are having patent issues, for manufacturing of their product instead of TSMC because TSMC does not have a "stabilized" process and will only have low volume for them due to everyone else bugging TSMC for manufacturing.

Apple ships ~25m iphones / quarter ... that's a lot of demand.

I understand TSMC may be having issues with meeting that demand, but it may also be that the supply is limited and TSMC makes more money off of AMD/Nvida etc rather than a low-balling Apple which would suck up capacity.

The problem is that you're on the belief that the opposing argument is that 28nm is impossible. It's not impossible.

Indeed.

Now it's just a matter of breaking down what is deemed "too expensive" and how much production is enough?

360 chips had very awful yields going by the Takahashi book. The situation surrounding the 360's design process and launch was a helluva rushed schedule, and look where it got them with RROD. Of course, MS was much more desperate back then than they are now. Do you really think they want to repeat that?

I agree.

That's why I'm not expecting them to repeat that mistake by trying to launch q1/2012 when the 28nm process is just getting warmed up.

Q4 launch should be enough time to field a reasonable launch.

As yields improve, costs will go down, and availability at retail will go up.

Do you believe they even see Nintendo as a threat to their associated early-adopter audience, whom you also identify as the hardcore. Launching early doesn't matter to the mass market who jump on board later.

I believe Nintendo is a bit of a threat, but not significant. I do think some early adopters will buy into Wuu just to see what it's about and Nintendo may try and lure them in with compelling content.

Nintendo didn't always embrace this kiddy image. At the outset of the Ultra64 days they were headed in a very different direction with the likes of Killer Instinct and Cruisin USA (with roadkills) both are very much outside of the typical Nintendo image of the time so it wouldn't be unheard of for them to try and steal this market.

Sony is an unknown.

But Sony still has an edge in a few areas mostly centered on branding and image (see overall sales trend ps3 outselling xb360). In order to compete, MS needs every edge it can get.

Launching first v Sony and preferably near Nintendo allows the early-adopter/hardcore gamer to be won, and with it, the trends of the generation.

I've already described the inherent difficulties with process nodes as you go smaller and smaller. The equipment used is much more complex and expensive. These translate to higher manufacturing costs early on so that TSMC can recoup R&D (just how long have they delayed already) for starters. Limited supply also drives up that price further, and you've already shown us the article about TSMC asking for more money.

25% increase.

The prices outlined are still within the realm of what was estimated to be paid for RSX and Cell.

Both companies are trying to push the envelope of GPUs...

Yes, 8x trans is expected for a nextgen offering. In order to meet this, 32/28nm is necessary if the die size budget is to remain roughly the same thus keeping initial BOM investment in silicon roughly the same.

MS isn't in the same boat, not even close. The question for them is why they should jump onto a next gen whilst utilizing a new node (to push a design they were originally planning for 2013-2014) that is invariably going to cause similar horror flashbacks of 360 launch units for 2012?

The reasons to jump in 2012 are for competitive advantage in capturing the highest consumer spend.

Where are you getting this notion of 2013-2014 was the "plan" all along?

RRoD issues were more to do with design & engineering than yield as we saw the same RRoD in later versions of the console.

Neither Xenos nor Waternoose were anywhere near 300mm^2, let alone 200mm^2 and yet they had crazy yield issues.

Can you define "crazy"? 20% 30%?

How quickly were they resolved?

A couple things: Apple seems to be starting to stock up now (at Samsung). Second they've gone to Samsung out of necessity (despite other legal issues to boot) because TSMC quite clearly has been deemed unworthy of the risk. They simply don't believe they can get the capacity they need.

And with as much volume as Apple needs, I'm not surprised at the outcome. It isn't as though Samsung is luring AMD/Nvidia to use their 28nm process and since they are under-bidding TSMC, they obviously have over-capacity.

And as I said, it wouldn't be the first time ...

When did we get official word on the PS3 "delay" from q1/2006?

No one I know actually believed the PS3 would launch Q1 2006.

xb360 Launch lineup:

and 12 were ports:

Call of Duty 2
FIFA 06: Road to FIFA World Cup
Gun
Madden NFL 06
NBA 2K6
NBA Live 06
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
NHL 2K6
Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie
Quake 4
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

Look at my prior comment, I said most of the launch line up weren't last gen ports. You can't compare CoD2 to Gun and I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make here.

Publishers will expect a return to their investment if they are going to port current gen games to the 720. Losing out on this revenue because MS decided to play it ear would not turn out well. MS is not going to decide mid-year to wait until 2013 to launch, they have a plan now regarding their launch schedule.

No one I know actually believed the PS3 would launch Q1 2006.

I know, Sony were only lying to themselves when they put that target: "Spring 2006" on stage.

An interesting move, wouldn't you say?

Look at my prior comment, I said most of the launch line up weren't last gen ports. You can't compare CoD2 to Gun and I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make here.

Point is only 5 were designed from the ground up (debatable) for xb360.

3 were internal (so irrelevant in this argument)

The rest (12 = majority) had other revenue paths from larger platforms to cover their costs (ie: ports).

Publishers will expect a return to their investment if they are going to port current gen games to the 720. Losing out on this revenue because MS decided to play it ear would not turn out well. MS is not going to decide mid-year to wait until 2013 to launch, they have a plan now regarding their launch schedule.

Indeed, publishers should expect to make something back from ports.

Why would a 3 month delay preclude them from reaping their just profits from such a venture?

As far as MS plan, as I've said NUMEROUS times ... I agree, yes, they do have a plan.

It may be 2012 (as it is a reasonable timeframe for 28nm which is a reasonable node), it may be 2013. We don't know.

What we do know is that if they are planning for 2012, and by mid2012 28nm isn't ready, it will not be the end of the world for them to delay a few months until it is ready.

And yes, publishers will still make money from their ports.

I know, Sony were only lying to themselves when they put that target: "Spring 2006" on stage.

An interesting move, wouldn't you say?

Wait a second now, instead of sidestepping the issue here, why not just admit that mentioning Sony's initial Q1 2006 plan was pointless?

You can't use the PS3's launch to support your statement one moment, then agree that it was all bullshit the next. If you knew the Q1 2006 launch date was a front, why bother mentioning it to support your agenda?

Do you not see how the round-about ways you post makes it hard for us to take these discussions serious?

The rest (12 = majority) had other revenue paths from larger platforms to cover their costs (ie: ports).

Having your game on other platforms may soften the blow of lacking sales, but they are not intended to cover the cost entirely. Publishers didn't let the ps2/xbox sales cover the cost for the lacking GC sales, they just dropped GC support entirely since the sales on that platform did not support the investment needed.

It's no different here.

Indeed, publishers should expect to make something back from ports.

Why would a 3 month delay preclude them from reaping their just profits from such a venture?

As far as MS plan, as I've said NUMEROUS times ... I agree, yes, they do have a plan.

It may be 2012 (as it is a reasonable timeframe for 28nm which is a reasonable node), it may be 2013. We don't know.

What we do know is that if they are planning for 2012, and by mid2012 28nm isn't ready, it will not be the end of the world for them to delay a few months until it is ready.

And yes, publishers will still make money from their ports.

Again, you are basing your logic on flawed assumptions. If MS delays the 720, it won't be for a few months, it will be closer to a year. MS will not launch a system during the spring or summer months, they will do it leading up to the holiday season.

Even entertaining the notion of a delay is silly in and of itself. Delaying a system launch would come at a huge financial cost for the manufacturer and the partnering publishers.

MS (or Sony) will not put themselves in a position where they have to play a waiting game before deciding on the final launch date. If they cut things that close, they risk running into another RRoD fiasco.

Wait a second now, instead of sidestepping the issue here, why not just admit that mentioning Sony's initial Q1 2006 plan was pointless?

You can't use the PS3's launch to support your statement one moment, then agree that it was all bullshit the next. If you knew the Q1 2006 launch date was a front, why bother mentioning it to support your agenda?

Do you not see how the round-about ways you post makes it hard for us to take these discussions serious?

Two options there:

Either we recognize that Sony intentionally lied (and did so for a reason, as you said, everyone knew it wasn't going to happen, yet they posted it prominently at E3 just after their stunning demonstrations and slides)

Or we accept that it was indeed delayed.

Given the touchy topic, I'm not going to state one way or the other, but feel free to state your opinion.

Having your game on other platforms may soften the blow of lacking sales, but they are not intended to cover the cost entirely. Publishers didn't let the ps2/xbox sales cover the cost for the lacking GC sales, they just dropped GC support entirely since the sales on that platform did not support the investment needed.

It's no different here.

Sure, if it will take a lot of time with a proven lack of return on investment, I'd assume most will drop xb720. For some reason though, I doubt this will happen on account of a minor delay.

One note on GC, part of it was the dominant sales of ps2 which made it unnecessary to hit other platforms, and the GC's limited disc space which would need more time to optimize the game to fit.

Again, you are basing your logic on flawed assumptions. If MS delays the 720, it won't be for a few months, it will be closer to a year. MS will not launch a system during the spring or summer months, they will do it leading up to the holiday season.

Flawed assumption:

PS2 launched in Spring 2000 in their home market (Japan).
PS3 launched in Spring 2007 in Europe.
3DS launched ... you get the point.

Even entertaining the notion of a delay is silly in and of itself. Delaying a system launch would come at a huge financial cost for the manufacturer and the partnering publishers.

Really? How much would a few months cost them?

MS (or Sony) will not put themselves in a position where they have to play a waiting game before deciding on the final launch date. If they cut things that close, they risk running into another RRoD fiasco.

RRoD wasn't due to node issues.

Given the touchy topic, I'm not going to state one way or the other, but feel free to state your opinion.

Actually you already stated one way or the other:

So if you knew Sony were only lying, why bother trying to use it to support your comment?

I'd appreciate a direct answer and not a spin or sidestep response.

Sure, if it will take a lot of time with a proven lack of return on investment, I'd assume most will drop xb720. For some reason though, I doubt this will happen on account of a minor delay.

There is a major difference between lack of return due to limited install base and lack of return due to a delayed launch. Publishers are much more understanding of the former than the latter.

Your note of the GC is irrelevant to this discussion, so it's going to be ignored.

Flawed assumption:

PS2 launched in Spring 2000 in their home market (Japan).
PS3 launched in Spring 2007 in Europe.
3DS launched ... you get the point.

That nice, show me when MS first launched a console outside of the holiday period. Sure there's a chance that MS can launch a system in Europe or Japan outside of said season, but they will launch first in the US and they will make sure that launch window falls in the holiday season.

I actually can't see any company launching a home console in the US outside of the holiday season and it's safe to say MS will launch in the US first.

Really? How much would a few months cost them?

Again, the delay would not be a few months. However since you're the one with all the answers, how about you pull out more numbers from thin air and tell us the answer to this question?

I actually can't see any company launching a home console in the US outside of the holiday season and it's safe to say MS will launch in the US first.

You're argument basically boils down to this ^.

And this is based on ... I guess no console launching in Spring in the US.

A few things have been changing over the years which contradict this notion of a spring launch faux pas.

It wasn't all that long ago that the industry didn't think a big AAA title could succeed by launching in spring.

Yet, we've seen exactly this case the past couple years.

Alan Wake
Crackdown2
SplinterCell5
Crysis2
LA Noir
Mortal Kombat

We also saw Nintendo launch in USA Spring for the first time.

They'd never done this in the USA prior to 3DS.

Why is the Spring now looked at as an option for big money spend?

The demographic of gamers have grown up and are no longer relying on a Christmas gift to afford the newest console or game.

So, especially in the case of xb720/ps4, Spring will not be a roadblock for acceptance due to the demographic which will be interested in the hardware.

And as I said above, why is Europe ok to launch in Spring, but not here? I'm not expecting parents to be the sole buyers of xb720/ps4 at launch for Christmas gifts ... are you?

Christmas is a much bigger deal in North America. At least in terms of spending. And could you put less blank lines in your posts, you're wearing out my scroll wheel.

Christmas is a much bigger deal in North America. At least in terms of spending. And could you put less blank lines in your posts, you're wearing out my scroll wheel.

Sorry, I find the blanks help to organize the information and points. I'll try to keep it in check for you :smile:.

Yes Christmas is a big deal here in the States and it does bring spending. But it is not necessary for spending. See iphone sales at launch (typically summer) which are a couple hundred with contract, $600 without.

Xb720 will be sold to Early-Adopters and hardcore gamers which have disposable income and they don't need Christmas as a reason to spend. I agree that it is ideal to try and hit that window, but it isn't catastrophe to miss it.

For a different market/demographic (Nintendo) I agree that they should absolutely try to hit that window as Christmas Gift sales are a big part of their demographic and as xb360 and ps3 drop in price, they are also becoming Christmas gift candidates.

But I do not anticipating xb720 being pigeonhold into this Christmas-gift-only mold at launch.

Sorry, I find the blanks help to organize the information and points. I'll try to keep it in check for you :smile:.

Yes Christmas is a big deal here in the States and it does bring spending. But it is not necessary for spending. See iphone sales at launch (typically summer) which are a couple hundred with contract, $600 without.

Xb720 will be sold to Early-Adopters and hardcore gamers which have disposable income and they don't need Christmas as a reason to spend. I agree that it is ideal to try and hit that window, but it isn't catastrophe to miss it.

For a different market/demographic (Nintendo) I agree that they should absolutely try to hit that window as Christmas Gift sales are a big part of their demographic and as xb360 and ps3 drop in price, they are also becoming Christmas gift candidates.

But I do not anticipating xb720 being pigeonhold into this Christmas-gift-only mold at launch.

You're missing some key points here but before I give you another chance to move the goal post even further, I'm still waiting for you to reply to this rather direct question:

So if you knew Sony were only lying, why bother trying to use it to support your comment?

I'd appreciate a direct answer and not a spin or sidestep response.

:?:

You're missing some key points here but before I give you another chance to move the goal post even further, I'm still waiting for you to reply to this rather direct question:

:?:

You got me ... Sony lied.

It wasn't a delay, it was a lie. Sony never intended 2006 Spring launch. Everyone behind the scenes knew they were lying though so no big deal for them.

If MS were to delay it would be the first time. Devs and Pubs would be pissed, and at that point, no games for you.

MS would close down xbox division and sell units for scrap.

http://www.cloudsmagazine.com/video...h-of-the-playstation-3-console-in-europe.html
http://lubbockonline.com/stories/082701/upd_075-6131.shtml
http://wraltechwire.com/business/tech_wire/news/blogpost/9950697/
http://www.finestdaily.com/news/gaming-news/nintendo-wii-u-delayed-considerably.html

Now how about a reply for this faux pas Spring launch...

You got me ... Sony lied.

It wasn't a delay, it was a lie. Sony never intended 2006 Spring launch. Everyone behind the scenes knew they were lying though so no big deal for them.

If MS were to delay it would be the first time. Devs and Pubs would be pissed, and at that point, no games for you.

MS would close down xbox division and sell units for scrap.

http://www.cloudsmagazine.com/video...h-of-the-playstation-3-console-in-europe.html
http://lubbockonline.com/stories/082701/upd_075-6131.shtml
http://wraltechwire.com/business/tech_wire/news/blogpost/9950697/

You know my intent was not to prove whether or not Sony was lying. My point was to force you to admit that you back-peddle or side step points entirely when they don't support your agenda. You know this and it shows with your sarcastic reply, which really does nothing to move the discussion forward.

So until you've proven that you can have an intelligent discussion, while being respectful at the same time, there's no reason to have any type of conversation with you.

You know my intent was not to prove whether or not Sony was lying. My point was to force you to admit that you back-peddle or side step points entirely when they don't support your agenda. You know this and it shows with your sarcastic reply, which really does nothing to move the discussion forward.

So until you've proven that you can have an intelligent discussion, while being respectful at the same time, there's no reason to have any type of conversation with you.

What exactly is my agenda?

I countered your argument that a spring launch is not going to happen and that any delay would mean a years wait.
(Spring launches happened for ps2 and ps3 (in Europe) and also for 3DS and other AAA games as the market has grown to accept spending at other times than q4)

I countered your argument that launch software devs/pubs would be screwed.
(majority will be ports, also delays in regions have happened before ... multiple times)

I provided examples of Spring launches and of delays in regions not equating to a shunning of the console in any way.
(see above)

Your response has simply been to point back to the PS3 launch... for whatever reason.

Bottom line:

MS (or Sony) may be planning for a 2012 launch and worst case scenario for them is they have to delay a few months for the node. The delay would not be ideal, but would not result in failure for the launch, or the platform.

Potential gains from such a maneuver would be mindshare, hardcore gamers ( >10 attach rate ), developer preference, and social snowball effect.

Back