DirectX Next - Longhorn only !?

Evildeus said:
Sorry, but facts doesn't exists per se for me. You need to comprehend those things, and thus speculate.

Seems like we're using the word "speculation" with different meanings.... to me it's something like THIS (1,2,4).
Speculation can become a fact ONLY after it has been proven through real-world examination.

Lezmaka said:
Well, from what I can tell, B3D isn't the kind of place that will post something about a document that exists and was available on ATI's website for a short time.

Why not ? It was a very interesting read imo.

Bry said:
Geeforcer said:
Well actually, my question was: What is the criteria to determine whether to publish the news? Is it the nature of the document (confidential, not intend for public eyes) the content (lies Vs merely inflammatory comments) source (official, albeit erroneous publication Vs unauthorized leak) or impact on the company?

Any real reporter would want to write a news article on facts. Look at this thread..There are many opinions as to what certain parts of the article means. In other words people are speculating what they are reading. True news is not speculation. it should be based on Facts. Since I am sure no one at Beyond 3d or any other web sight was in attendance at the meeting they would have to speculate what the news means.
Are they going to speculate that R420 has 512 MB of memory, or that R500 will be released before the end of the year. Are they going to speculate that R420 will not have PS/VS 3.0, or that they will have it but it will not run very good, and thus not be very usefull. And does this article show that ATI has inside info reguarding whether or not NV40 will run it good (this they protect themselves because they do not support it) Or that NV40 has PS3.0, but cant run it very well, and it is just a marketing skeem to sell their cards over ATI, which does not support it.
All this is speculation and not news. We have enough Inquirer news sights around. Beyond3d has been great in their news articles and reviews, and have become a reputable sight for not being fanboyish..To write a news article on this report and all the speculation that would have to be provided, would be a HUGE mistake for Beyond 3d or any other web site!!
I give cudos to Dave and beyond 3d for leaving this alone..This has NOTHING to do with them not trying to hurt ATI's feelings, or trying to get into their graces. Get real!!

May I suggest you get real instead? Fact: the notes were included in the power point. Fact: a news story along the lines: "A recent ATI presentation containing the following notes" would contain ZERO speculation. Fact: I never suggested that any website publishing/not publishing this is trying to help/hurt ATI.

Bjorn said:
Lezmaka said:
Well, from what I can tell, B3D isn't the kind of place that will post something about a document that exists and was available on ATI's website for a short time.

Why not ? It was a very interesting read imo.

I just looked over the headlines for the past year or so and never saw one thing like "OMG!!!1! Leaked ATI powerpoint tells people nvidia suxors!"

I seem to remember some slides of other presentations that were available from various people on the net, but I don't recall a headline about it here.

B3D is a professionally run site that doesn't seem to cater to the lowest common denominator by posting news and articles just to make some noise, especially when they have very little effect (which I believe this falls into).

B3D isn't a tabloid. It'd be similar to USA Today or another national newspaper running a story about a candid photographer taking a grainy, somewhat unfocused picture of a topless celebrity. The tabloid would print it on the cover to get as many people to buy as possible. USA Today (or other national newspaper) might not even report on it at all because they feel it has no real value. If they think it has some value, they may put it on page 12 in the Entertainment section.

B3D has front page headlines and forums could be considered the rest of the newspaper. For this site, I think that's where this story belongs. For a site like The Inq, [H], etc I would expect a post on their main news page.

Lezmaka said:
I just looked over the headlines for the past year or so and never saw one thing like "OMG!!!1! Leaked ATI powerpoint tells people nvidia suxors!"

I seem to remember some slides of other presentations that were available from various people on the net, but I don't recall a headline about it here.

I seem to remember that the Nvidia document was in the headlines/news here. But i might be wrong. Anyway, you could of course say something other then the "Nvidia suxors" headline that you mention.

F.e like Geeforcer suggested

"A recent ATI presentation containing the following notes"

Bjorn said:
I seem to remember that the Nvidia document was in the headlines/news here. But i might be wrong.

I don't remember if the Kyro pdf was put on the front page as news, but it doesn't matter since B3D had a different EIC back then.

anaqer said:
Evildeus said:
Sorry, but facts doesn't exists per se for me. You need to comprehend those things, and thus speculate.

Seems like we're using the word "speculation" with different meanings.... to me it's something like THIS (1,2,4).
Speculation can become a fact ONLY after it has been proven through real-world examination.
Yes i was more in the wonder than in the speculation i suppose :/ But well, you need conjecture and hypothesis (speculation ;)) to prove a fact, and everything must be true.

The fact is there's a paper, and that quotes exist and state something that is new (hense the news). And a news doesn't need to have a definite answer, at least till for the time being.

But well, i suppose it's up to the newsmaker to decide what to do, and it's up to me to think that it's important or not.

Bjorn said:
Lezmaka said:

I seem to remember that the Nvidia document was in the headlines/news here. But i might be wrong. Anyway, you could of course say something other then the "Nvidia suxors" headline that you mention.

F.e like Geeforcer suggested

"A recent ATI presentation containing the following notes"

What I'm saying is that no matter what headline you put with the info, I still think it's just a way for sites to get more visitors by being, in a way, sensationalistic (is that a word? lol). They post things that they think fit in with how they want to run the website. If they don't post a news story, then they may have not seen it as a big enough deal to post, or fit in with the way they run the site.

Personally, I don't see how this leaked presentation would fit in with the news stories that have been posted over the last year or so. True, there are some interesting things written in the notes, but while reading the thread, I've seen several totally different interpretations of the same sentence/slide.

I just don't see B3D posting a news story about an IHV out-right attacking or even subtly attacking another. If one company sued the other for the attack or some other reason, I would be surprised not to see a story about something like that. But not something like a leaked presentation that has a few comments about how to help present info, and something that to me, doesn't mean that much overall.

Lezmaka said:
Personally, I don't see how this leaked presentation would fit in with the news stories that have been posted over the last year or so. True, there are some interesting things written in the notes, but while reading the thread, I've seen several totally different interpretations of the same sentence/slide.

That you can interpret things differently doesn't make it less interesting imo. But i think that we just have to disagree about the "news worthiness" of this document and leave it at that.

sorry to be a bit OT, but where did nvidia reccommend to developers to not use dynamic branching in excess because of how "expensive" it was?

OK so there are a minority of ignorant, opinionated fools on its forums, who lack the elementary wit to understand the challenges of investigative journalism, and the delta between what a hardware enthusiast site does, and all our best efforts here at The INQ.

:devilish:

John Reynolds said:
OK so there are a minority of ignorant, opinionated fools on its forums, who lack the elementary wit to understand the challenges of investigative journalism, and the delta between what a hardware enthusiast site does, and all our best efforts here at The INQ.

Uhm, source? (And are you trying to give me a hint? :| )

digitalwanderer said:
John Reynolds said:

Uhm, source? (And are you trying to give me a hint? :| )
Mine ;)

Evildeus said:

DOH!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Ever just have one of them mornings? Ever have it happen on April Fool's Day when you are just NOT in the mood for it?

:(

I'm gonna go hide, kick me if anything really exciting happens. :oops:

If all you could get out of the comments was "NVIDIA sucks" I see a bigger problem with your reading than the comments themselves.

Evildeus said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15106
That was one of the best Inq posts/editorials I've read. Dave is right, Paul does seem to be on the money.

No obvious mistakes, either! /me looks in Fuad's direction :p

Evildeus said:
Seems like Fuad comes sometimes over here. Hey DB how does it feel to be on the Inq? 8) :LOL:
More accurately phrased:

"Hey DB, how does it feel that the Inquirer is finally crediting its fucking source for a change!?"

Dave Glue said:
Evildeus said:
Seems like Fuad comes sometimes over here. Hey DB how does it feel to be on the Inq? 8) :LOL:
More accurately phrased:

"Hey DB, how does it feel that the Inquirer is finally crediting its fucking source for a change!?"

April fools? :D

Pete said:
Evildeus said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15106
That was one of the best Inq posts/editorials I've read. Dave is right, Paul does seem to be on the money.

No obvious mistakes, either! /me looks in Fuad's direction :p

Usual tabloid headline though :)

Can't say I was overally impressed, there's a lot of opinion foisted on the reader as fact.

INQ said:
During our research for this article with games publishers, we were unable to conclusively determine whether any games that will feature PS 3.0 are under development. In fact some of the games publishers referred us back to the GPU manufacturers. Id Software's Doom III seems the most probable candidate but Activision was unsure whether an official announcement on this had been made.

My bet is Doom III *won't* have PS3.0 support... just a hunch ;)

Back