Direct3D feature levels discussion

+1 feedback to see for for standard swizzle support then : D

Also, it's nice to see a Tier 3 in Conservative Rasterization.

PS: @DmitryKo
Time to update that table, moreover I am pretty sure that current Warp12 driver (Windows 10 RTM SDK) is far from a full feature support.

And even if we don't get all the way to "bashing", I think it's fair for us to be proud of having clear leadership in DX12 features for the time being.
I might be paranoid since not everything drivers are claiming or not claiming was 100% true the last months, since it's a major technical ramp of new API runtimes and drivers, but is it really true, that Skylake supports Conservative Rasterization Tier 3, Resource Binding Tier 3, Tiled Resources Tier 3 and everything else + FP16/Standard Swizzle in the table from PCGH?!

That's at least what the mentioned driver versions report - with all due caveats. Since the results are in a plain text file, I saw no reason to post them as well.

The hardware does support standard swizzle (and fp16 of course, Broadwell too). It may not be enabled yet in the driver though, not sure.

And even if we don't get all the way to "bashing", I think it's fair for us to be proud of having clear leadership in DX12 features for the time being. Indeed several of the main features are there because of us. Not something most would have expected out of Intel a few years ago I don't think :)

Honestly, even from today's Intel, it's slightly shocking. In any case, nice work!

I might be paranoid since not everything drivers are claiming or not claiming was 100% true the last months, since it's a major technical ramp of new API runtimes and drivers, but is it really true, that Skylake supports Conservative Rasterization Tier 3, Resource Binding Tier 3, Tiled Resources Tier 3 and everything else + FP16/Standard Swizzle in the table from PCGH?!
Yes, if you have one of the chips I encourage you to try it out :) Our policy is generally only to turn on caps bits once at least all of the associated WHQL tests are passing.

Do note though for all IHVs that during the tech preview there was a large amount of churn related to DX12, WDDM, etc. so it's not surprising that various things got missed and so on. Obviously setting the right caps bits is one of the last things you do after getting the rest solid :) There should be somewhat less churn on that stuff now that Win10 is released.

That's at least what the mentioned driver versions report - with all due caveats. Since the results are in a plain text file, I saw no reason to post them as well.
Did you check results for Haswell/Broadwell? Because with the same driver (I think), my Haswell does not support some features that it supposedly should.

Did you check results for Haswell/Broadwell? Because with the same driver (I think), my Haswell does not support some features that it supposedly should.
Which features "should" it support that it doesn't report curiously? It's possible there are bits not set but Haswell (Gen7.5) obviously supports far fewer features than Skylake (Gen9).

The hardware does support standard swizzle (and fp16 of course, Broadwell too). It may not be enabled yet in the driver though, not sure.

And even if we don't get all the way to "bashing", I think it's fair for us to be proud of having clear leadership in DX12 features for the time being. Indeed several of the main features are there because of us. Not something most would have expected out of Intel a few years ago I don't think :)

This is great news, hopefully the full FL12_1 support will increase adoption of those features in PC games.

Time to update that table
Already updated with Skylake features. I'm against adding some of the technically challenging options which are hard to explain in a small article format.

I am pretty sure that current Warp12 driver (Windows 10 RTM SDK) is far from a full feature support.
WARP12 should eventually support level 12_1 and probably implement all of the optional features as well, because it effectively replaces the reference rasterizer in Direct3D 12. That's why I maxed every option in the table, even though current release is far from being feature complete.

even if we don't get all the way to "bashing", I think it's fair for us to be proud of having clear leadership in DX12 features for the time being.
Rightly so, however fanboys will just bash AMD without showing any appreciation for Intel graphics....

Please

Any of you guys or all of you guys.
Make an articled talking about the differences between the API versions and Feature Levels and why DirectX 12.1 has nothing to do with Feature Level 12.1.

Please !

Make an articled talking about the differences between the API versions and Feature Levels and why DirectX 12.1 has nothing to do with Feature Level 12.1.
I think we have to leave that to the press for a few reasons, if it even makes sense. Ryan Shrout was considering something like that earlier in the thread.

FWIW - there's no such thing as "DirectX 12.1" for starters :)

Honestly, even from today's Intel, it's slightly shocking. In any case, nice work!
Another awesome fact is that Intel has finally brought GT2 graphics up to a decent level of performance, comparable to AMD A8/A10.
GT2 is mainstream, unlike GT4e, and at the levels where GT1 will remain, AMD also has weaker GPUs, so the lowest common denominator for graphics per dollar (both features AND performance) has been advanced. Besides which, I have a feeling GT1 may very well benefit disproportionally from Skylake's improvements...

Back