Digital Foundry Microsoft Xbox Scorpio Reveal [2017: 04-06, 04-11, 04-15, 04-16]

Really the vram usage explosion is partially because they are not using any texture compression formats on Ultra like DXT5 PC on. Its giving you a false impression of texture memory requirements that are usually needed to hit those very high resolution textures

Nothing was mentioned, but the ID buffer was specifically pointed out as a custom feature added to the PS4 Pro in Mark Cerny's interview with DF, so I think that specific form of primitive tracking is not likely to show up.
The wording here:
However, just like PS4 Pro, the GPU has hardware support for checkerboarding and other pixel-efficient techniques, which Microsoft expects to see rolled out on the small amount of games on Xbox One that drop beneath 900p.
would seem to suggest that the ID buffer (or at least something very similar) will be present, since there's not much else that would count as "hardware support" for checkerboarding.

The wording here:

would seem to suggest that the ID buffer (or at least something very similar) will be present, since there's not much else that would count as "hardware support" for checkerboarding.
Indeed. I expect some more articles and videos that goes into more details on the inner makeup of the gpu.

The wording here:

There is a lot in standard GCN which could be counted as "hardware support" for checkerboarding.

Why so many people speak abou FP16 on PS4 Pro. Maybe I don't understand something, but guys... really... we speak now about 4K 60fps. FP16 is just don't fit in that conversation. It's old useless tech now. And regular PS4 don't support that thing, and ther's no game made especially for Pro, so a this FP16 of this maybe just useless.

Why so many people speak abou FP16 on PS4 Pro. Maybe I don't understand something, but guys... really... we speak now about 4K 60fps. FP16 is just don't fit in that conversation. It's old useless tech now. And regular PS4 don't support that thing, and ther's no game made especially for Pro, so a this FP16 of this maybe just useless.
Read posts above.
Also majority of Scorpio games won't hit 4k 60fps. Forza hits 1080p 60fps on OG Xbox One. And does not have impressive lighting.
Multiplatform games would be 4k checkerboard + same fps as OG console.

There is a lot in standard GCN which could be counted as "hardware support" for checkerboarding.

The statement is as a comparison to PS4Pro which means it has something in hardware that aids checkerboard rendering as opposed to some generally available "tech" in GCN-based gpus. I suspect we will hear more about this and more in follow-up articles and videos.

Oh people... can you stop with secret sauce and unannounced magic features ?
Do you think that they would hide a trump card or anything that would make their console look better than competition ?
Get real !

Why so many people speak abou FP16 on PS4 Pro. Maybe I don't understand something, but guys... really... we speak now about 4K 60fps. FP16 is just don't fit in that conversation. It's old useless tech now.
No it's not. That's why it's interesting. 32 bit is a waste in some calculations. Being able to use 16 bit means doubling the work you can achieve on screen for those workloads. That's smarter and the future.

Why do you perceive this as a problem? Doesn't Horizon do just fine with only 5.5 GBs available? I am under the assumption that checker board rendering doesn't alleviate the pressure textures place on the VRAM. If Horizon can readily make use of 4K textures on hardware with less CPU/GPU performance, bandwidth and RAM, then why would 4K textures be a problem with Scorpio's available 8 GBs running at 326 GB/s?
Horizon doesn't use 4K textures. It uses the same textures as the OG PS4.

Do you think that they would hide a trump card or anything that would make their console look better than competition ?
Get real !

I honestly thought this would stop after the specs brought people down to reality. But apparently just like the Switch thread, this will go on until we see teardowns lol

Why don't we just wait and see if there just might be additional articles with details coming within the next few days?

I honestly thought this would stop after the specs brought people down to reality. But apparently just like the Switch thread, this will go on until we see teardowns lol

switch is a pretty bad comparison, nintendo never talked about the specs or customization to the gpu. in fact DF kept on repeating that it will be slightly modified tx1. the only interesting thing about the specs is how the cpu works with the gpu, if the customization is the real deal, we should see most games with a 60fps option, there is no real point for the heavy customization they talk about on the cpu, if it's just running xbone games at a more stable frame rate.

Why don't we just wait and see if there just might be additional articles with details coming within the next few days?
This was always the risk of letting DF run with the reveal.
Whether you want to say it's for clicks or whatever this is standard to how they do their articles. I don't mind personally, everyone needs to get paid.

It's not MS hiding secret sauce, it's DF possibly saving things for later articles, later articles isn't an assumption or guess, they said they will have follow up ones.

We don't know what's in them, maybe they have nothing more to add and it will just talk about how nice the chip looks, I don't know. All we can do is wait and see, and not make too many assumptions either way.

This is a reveal the DF way.

Well Scorpio will use same textures as og xbo too.

But there was articles about how MS allows for efficient bundling of data to provide for Scorpio specific data, so that data only gets installed or downloaded if on a Scorpio system.

I'll dig up the link later once I'm out of bedand awake for the day (just passing time now until I fall asleep again).

Back