Did Digitlife jump the gun announcing NV40?

NVidia didn't say penalty free branches in pixel shaders, they said penalty free branches in vertex shaders. Pixel shader branches will have a penalty.

DerekBaker said:
If you'll look you'll see it says T+, which means *after* the event. According to that, it was launched yesterday, and the number is the time since then.

Exactly. Maybe the ixbt boys had a similar "glitch". 8)

anaqer said:
DerekBaker said:
If you'll look you'll see it says T+, which means *after* the event. According to that, it was launched yesterday, and the number is the time since then.

Exactly. Maybe the ixbt boys had a similar "glitch". 8)
Or maybe we were all so busy getting our jollies out here that we missed the launch? :|

NVIDIA recommends testers to use 480W and over power supplies

:oops: :oops: [Spits out soda through nose all over computer monitor. Falls over, wincing in pain as nostrils burn from carbonated water and sugar.] :oops: :oops:

Clashman said:

:oops: :oops: [Spits out soda through nose all over computer monitor. Falls over, wincing in pain as nostrils burn from carbonated water and sugar.] :oops: :oops:

Just bought an ANTEC 480w Truepower on Sunday.

Clashman said:

HAH!!!! And everyone said I wasted money on my PCP&C 510 Deluxe... Atleast I don't have to worry about power problems if I got one of these.. ;)

I sure am glad I bought and antec 550 last year... :) Lots of people thought it was overkill but I said "it is a good deal and I bet i'll need it soon enough " :) ... Anyway the mermaid does look cool, but what is with the tan line on her upper arm strange no? In any case my wife liked dawn a lot better than the chimp as well, and I bet she likes the mermaid better too .. maybe someone will make a wrapper again so I can play it on my 9800pro.

edit:

And btw the inq. was wrong no hardware encoding is listed for mpegs, at least not that I saw, which is good since I just bought a hauppauge encoder card.

Seriously, someone needs to make a video card with decent performance and sane power requirements. Maybe PowerVR will. Things as they are, however, are getting out of hand.

Nick and Alpha: :LOL:

McDusty: I was going to mention that nV had gone to zero environment, dumping even the primitive Dawn backdrop, but I'm guessing they must have some water effects.

I guess a more mechnical demo would be interesting, though. Maybe a trip through a car's powerplant, from the ignition key to the tailpipe (via the engine), with all the metal and oil and gas and fire and smoke in between? :)

Pete said:
I guess a more mechnical demo would be interesting, though. Maybe a trip through a car's powerplant, from the ignition key to the tailpipe (via the engine), with all the metal and oil and gas and fire and smoke in between? :)
Agreed...I am sick of them throwing out chicks in skimpy clothes to sell cards. Yes I know sex sells but it is pretty sad when you have to resort to virtual chicks to sell your product. What is even sadder is that there are quite a few people out there that would buy a product because of this. (If you don't believe me go take a look at some of the people that popped up at nVnews today...) At least I can have the satisfaction of know that people that would buy a card for that reason will never procreate. :) Personally I don't think the mermaid is all that great...her face is all screwed up imho. A change to a more mechanical demo like you said would be nice...but it is much easier to come up with a scenario that looks good that involves a chick instead of something mechanical. Oh well...one can always hope...

Razor04 said:
Personally I don't think the mermaid is all that great...her face is all screwed up imho. A change to a more mechanical demo like you said would be nice...but it is much easier to come up with a scenario that looks good that involves a chick instead of something mechanical. Oh well...one can always hope...

Yes, but realistic people are *difficult* to do. If you can do it, it's more impressive than artificial objects.

Razor04 said:
Agreed...I am sick of them throwing out chicks in skimpy clothes to sell cards. Yes I know sex sells but it is pretty sad when you have to resort to virtual chicks to sell your product.
I can't get enough of them pixie goddesses! :D

Razor04 said:
What is even sadder is that there are quite a few people out there that would buy a product because of this.
:oops:

Razor04 said:
A change to a more mechanical demo like you said would be nice...but it is much easier to come up with a scenario that looks good that involves a chick instead of something mechanical. Oh well...one can always hope...
Yeah, mechanical stuff, like engines - all the oil, steam, fat pipes AND chicks.

Hmmmmm. Tasty! :D ;)

cu

incurable

DemoCoder said:
NVidia didn't say penalty free branches in pixel shaders, they said penalty free branches in vertex shaders. Pixel shader branches will have a penalty.
That makes sense, but it would only be for static branches. nVidia's docs state ~2-cycle overhead for dynamic branching in the vertex shader.

Sxotty said:
Anyway the mermaid does look cool, but what is with the tan line on her upper arm strange no?

It's probably caustics from the water. It's hard to say is it a "correct" one from a still picture, but it looks very good to me. I'd like to see a video version, too. Caustics are a nice showcase for pixel shading, I think. :)

Back