DFI Lanparty $LI

trinibwoy

Meh
Legend
Supporter
Looks schweet. Probably costs an arm and a leg too. Time will tell if I'll trade my Infinity in for one of these bad boys.

008.JPG

Courtesy this thread

why not get the dual opteron and SLI board by Tyan? if you're going dual then go dual all the way! :D

PCIe motherboards require a 24-pin main power connector, which not all PSU's have. In fact, the extra 4 pins are specifically to supply the increase the PEG x16 slot to 75W. Because not many PSU's have this 24 pin connector Intel allow you to use a standard 20 pin one and then provide the required PEG x16 power via the use of a molex - I should imagine that this is what is occuring here.

[Edit] Looking at that board though, do you not notice something missing? If it was an actual nForce4 SLI board then there should be the slot to alter the operation between single x16 operation and dual x8 modes. I susepect this is an early mock-up.

yes the 24pin isssue. They have a 20pin to 24 pin converter, and with a PSU that has the 24pin there are 6 SATA connectors too!

DaveBaumann said:
[Edit] Looking at that board though, do you not notice something missing? If it was an actual nForce4 SLI board then there should be the slot to alter the operation between single x16 operation and dual x8 modes. I susepect this is an early mock-up.

Could it be hidden under that LANPARTY rectangle between the two slots? It looks like it could be covering something. It doesn't look like it's flush with the board surface to me.

Boo, you lose a pci express 1x slot if you use sli. And what's with only having pci express 1x slots, that seems to be a very useless slot, is it's bandwidth much more than pci?

IIRC PCI is 133MB/s, whereas PCIe 1x is 250MB/s both upstream and downstream. PCIe is also point to point so there will be no contention with other devices using other lanes, unlike PCI which is a parallel, shared bus.

DaveBaumann said:
IIRC PCI is 133MB/s, whereas PCIe 1x is 250MB/s both upstream and downstream. PCIe is also point to point so there will be no contention with other devices using other lanes, unlike PCI which is a parallel, shared bus.

What kind of bandwidth do you think a next generation high end sound card could need?

Fox5 said:
What kind of bandwidth do you think a next generation high end sound card could need?
That's pretty much a moot point since it will just have to make do with PCIe 1x - unless it's at least a year down the line, in which case this motherboard will be obsolete anyway. ;)

anaqer said:
Fox5 said:
That's pretty much a moot point since it will just have to make do with PCIe 1x - unless it's at least a year down the line, in which case this motherboard will be obsolete anyway. ;)

That's a pretty fast obsoletion and I think it would be really bad to start splitting a market among pci express 1x, 4x, 8x, and 16x cards that have the same purpose. This board is about as future proof as they come, socket 939, pci express, and I seriously doubt any future athlon 64 chipsets will have any real performance increase unless amd brings out quad channel or something along those lines. I bet this board can unofficially do pc3700 as well.(since just about all new motherboards seem capable of that)

I kind of wish that there was a PCI-E 1x slot that wasn't adjacent to one or more of the graphics card slots.

I don't think current high end cards can cook their neighbors, at least not if you go without SLI, but things look pretty toasty as they are.

Can you put a card in the second graphics slot and give it a full 16x, or must you place a single card in the one slot next between the 1x slots?

Back