Destiny Sales *split*

Yeah, the split was 46-36 in the UK, so PS4 version won by 28%. But hardware sales in UK are supposedly 1.5:1 in favor of PS4 where in USA they're 1.25:1. So if that ratio holds in the US it'll sell only 6% better on PS4. Could be pretty close or within 10%. Of course NPD wont count bundles or freebies either way so it wont be apples to apples.

More interesting is some gaffer made an estimate of Destiny's sales based on some info and calculations. I cant 100% vouch for these accuracy.

Top 5 biggest game launches of 2014 in the UK

01. DESTINY (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 400,000
02. WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 388,000
03. TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 127,015
04. WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) - 82,050
05. INFAMOUS: SECOND SON (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT) - 69,666
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
06. THE LAST OF US: REMASTERED (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT) - 69,000
07. MARIO KART 8 (NINTENDO) - 68,407

So yes, if correct, barely better than Watch Dogs. IMO that's got to be considered a disappointment.

Interesting about the UK figure that was posted on Eurogamer is the balance between current gen and next gen:

Destiny is the biggest new IP launch ever in the UK, official figures have confirmed.

Sales during launch week beat out those of Ubisoft's Watch Dogs, the previous record holder. Destiny went on sale on Tuesday, 9th September 2014.

The PlayStation 4 version took a 46 per cent share of the sales (this figure includes sales of new fixed hardware bundles in both black and white). Xbox One took 36 per cent, Xbox 360 14 per cent and PlayStation 3 four per cent.

If you combine all versions of the game, physical PlayStation and Xbox sales are split 50/50.

Chart-Track sales figures do not include download copies.

Destiny is also the biggest video game launch of 2014 in the UK so far. Here's the top five:

Destiny
Watch Dogs
Titanfall
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Infamous: Second Son

So only 17% on last gen! We're making a fast transition here for sure.

So only 17% on last gen! We're making a fast transition here for sure.

I think it demonstrates that a statistically small number of console owners buy a statistically large number of games. I.e. the so-called core gamers and many of those folks have bought nextgen consoles as you would expect many core gamers to do so.

It kind of makes you wonder what or how infrequently those other 160 million combined 360/PS3 owners use their consoles. My cousin has never bought a game, his PS3 is his Blu-ray/DVD player/Netflix box. The only games he plays are those "must play" games (Uncharted, The Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption, GTA V etc) I give him.

With regards to unusually high starting sales for a new IP, I'm quite sure that Bungie's successful history with the Halo series and online multiplayer is a major factor. The IP itself actually seems almost superficial in this case, and practically everything feels derived from Halo - engine tech, gameplay mechanics, design philosophy, even the art style (it's very similar to Reach IMHO).

So I don't think it's fair to compare the sales to other new IP launches.

With regards to unusually high starting sales for a new IP, I'm quite sure that Bungie's successful history with the Halo series and online multiplayer is a major factor. The IP itself actually seems almost superficial in this case, and practically everything feels derived from Halo - engine tech, gameplay mechanics, design philosophy, even the art style (it's very similar to Reach IMHO).

So I don't think it's fair to compare the sales to other new IP launches.

Whilst I'd agree somewhat, I'd say that there's quite a lot of pent up anticipation for a new IP that is simply rooted in a consumer's trust in the developer of said game.

Bungie have a pedigree, just as the TitanFall devs, just as Naughty Dog, just as Rockstar (with RDR).

New IP thusly can be effectively marketed on that basis alone and sell a crapload of copies.

Gamers seem to be more and more placing their trust in the bigger developers and taking less chances with devs who don't have a prior history producing hits. Gamers are equally as risk averse with their purchases as publishers with what they choose to greenlight.

There's a certain, "benefit-of-the-doubt", that gamers will happily afford devs like Bungie, Rockstar, ND, Bioware etc.. And it's this that makes it harder for developers who have failed to push out hits to gain the same kind of marketing buzz, hype and consumer anticipation when launching new IP. So in this way you're absolutely right that a new IP by Bungie isn't really comparable to one by, say Ninja Theory.

the timing of Destiny also good. it released in dry-season.
on the other hand.. this end of 2014 and 2015 is filled with game flood :/

Insiderp reports on sales

Destiny propels PS4 to 11m units worldwide. PS4 outsells Xbox One 5:1 during Destiny Week across Europe

It seems Destiny did manage to give PS4 a nice little boost as expected. Despite the downgrade of the PS4 version to reach 1080p resolution on Xbox One , more than 56% of Destiny's global sales came from PS4. The game went on to sell ~5 million copies in the first week of its launch across all platforms . PS4 handily beat the Xbox One 2:1 in UK and a whopping 5:1 across Europe. We do not have the final numbers for USA but we can confirm that over 100,000 PS4 consoles were sold across the region during Destiny week. Around 50% of the total PS4 hardware sales in USA came from Destiny bundles. PS4 reached the coveted 11m units sold worldwide as of September 13,2014. PS4 globally, now has more than double the install base as Xbox One -Microsoft's forsaken console. Xbox One, despite some fire sales to match PS4 Destiny Bundle, saw a meagre hardware boost across UK and USA only.

http://www.insiderp.com/ps4-reaches-11m-worldwide-with-destiny.html

That sure is a loaded statement!
No kidding. I find it hard to believe that this site has both extensive details on Destiny's sales and also information relating to the PS4 version of the game being downgraded. That'd have to come from two sources.

All sounds a bit like nonsense to me. I'd happily stand corrected if the numbers are confirmed though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Insiderp was correct on PS4s 10 mil milestone and TLoU launch sales. Anyhow I don't see anything outrageous in his numbers.

Insiderp was correct on PS4s 10 mil milestone and TLoU launch sales. Anyhow I don't see anything outrageous in his numbers.
I have no opinion on the numbers, but the labelling of the game as downgraded on PS4 is pure fan-bait that adds nothing to the numbers and their interpretation.

I think it delivers the right things at the right time. On next gen consoles there isn't that much competition right now in this space. It doesn't really matter per se that another game gets a higher rating either if it's not really a competing genre.
I can understand the appeal of this game but the cynical part of me doesn't believe the numbers they are giving at all.

It's a no go for me 'cos it asks for a connection all the time, and the weather where I live is horrible -maybe not like in Forks, but close-, the connection and telephone wires get fried sometimes.

Even if it wasn't a new IP $500 million the 1st day is still big.
Looks like it wasn't $500 million first day

http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=871349
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI), announced today that its highly anticipated new franchise Destiny sold-through more than $325 million worldwide in its first five days
Still decent, but based on its bad word of mouth / low reviews, I don't think it will have a long sales tail

Back