Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

The thing I like the most about this game is the ton of flexibility and features and activities which will allow for a lot of different ways of playing and customizing. It would be cool if there was a "open market" for players to sell items to other players kind of like what Forza had with custom paint jobs etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far I've read mostly positive previews, they're saying it feels just like Halo but far more advanced. The Borderlands style looting and upgrading and the concept of the central location to meet and trade with other players sound like a match(sic) made in heaven!

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh, who knows. I was wrong about Ryse. Maybe I'm wrong about this game too.

I am actually glad there is a beta at least for this. It is hard to look at this and not see elements or even animations that are similar to Halo - not that it is a bad thing. I think it breaks the feeling of a new universe when I see these things, but playing is hopefully going to erase that oddity.

^ It is on enough platforms I am sure it will do fine, but I doubt it can beat Skylanders for revenue.

If we assume they net $30 per full priced copy, they need to sell 16 million to break even. Tall order.

However I think the side effect of less really expensive games, is less competition for those that remain.

The sum was said to include royalties as well. What's that, 10$ per copy? 15M copies is a lot of royalties and a variable cost.

It's really hard to figure out how that 500 million dollars is spend. So far the some of the highest of marketing campaigns have been for GTA 5 and various Call of Duty games. Modern Warfare 2 marketing cost more three times as much as developing the game (so total figures are around 40-60 million to develop the game and 150-200 million to market it).

If I had to guess, Destiny game development is really expensive so far, probably around 100 million, 150 million for ad bliz, 50 million for first expansion, 50 million to market it, bit less for the second expansion and various dlc and server structure.

Based on leaked activision bungie deal, they have to sell more then 5 million units of Destiny. That would be something like marketing + development budget of 150-180 million. I guess they want to sell at least twice as much + dlcs and expansions. This would give 'em good position for Destiny 2. Still, seem like a huge gamble. If this fails and Ubi bombs few of the big AAA games, we're soon left only with EA and their ultra safe (but at the same time very smart from economic point of view) lineup.

Finally some good 'resolutiongate' news for Xbox One owners. Eurogamer are reporting that Geoff Keighley has tweeted that in an interview with Bungie they have said they'll get the Xbox One version of Destiny to 1080p at 30fps, the same as the PlayStation 4 target.

This follows the freeing up of Kinect resources.

That looks much better than the crap YT video. The art style looks pretty sweet. After watching that playthrough I'm guess they made the characters overly powerful in order to show them moving along through the large seamless environments instead of getting stuck at the same spot for a long time?

I've been playing the Alpha for a while now, so if you guys have an Q's just ask!

Regarding levels of enemies - The areas you spawn into are huge, with many different sub-areas around, and many tunnels / caves connecting everything, as you travel around, enemies are constantly spawned, at various levels, relative to your own level. So if you're lvel 6, sometimes you'll see a group of lvl 4 enemies, and you can mow through em, other times it's level 8's, and they really kick your ass. The boss battles tend to be very hard, requiring good cooperation between all 3 players (if everyone dies, it's a painful checkpoint restart, same as co-op halo. If one of you stays alive, the others will be respawned aftyer 30s).

In addition to boss battles, you get random "Public Events", where some big enemy, or multiple groups of enemies, will appear and multiple players can choose to join in, or not. These are also very hard, and you achieve a rank, from Bronze > Gold, depending on whether you fully complete the objective in the given time. I've done probably 6 special events, only getting gold once. It's hard to get gold, but it's mainly a time issue rather than pure difficulty (gotta kill everyone in 5 minutes, for example).

You gain loot after defeating bosses, special events, or finding chests. After beating a boss, the players are ranked, and it appears your loot drop is related to how well you performed. In special events, it seems that loot is related to whether you got Bronze, Silver or Gold.

Quite a few sections of the Alpha have been essentially locked off, by enemies that have infinite health, and can not be destroyed. So there's a huge variety right now, in challenge level, as you move through each map.

As far as I can tell, multiplayer uses your existing equipment stats from the main game. So it's super important to have good armor (yes, you have a full armor set), and great/unique weapons, if you want to stand a chance. They say that there's some level-balancing going on, but it's hard to say what it is.

The way they handle Ammo is really cool. There's 3 gun slots that can be switched in realtime, Normal (BattleRifle/DMG), Special (Shotgun/Sniper) and Heavy (Rockets / Machine Gun). Each ammo has a unique color, White/Green/Purple. White Ammo is plentiful, while Green is less so, and purple is very rare. So you always start out with your basic weapon, and essentially 'unlock' the others as you find ammo. I tend to keep my Heavy ammo saved for a big special event, or really tough group of enemies.

Does it do the Borderlands thing where they reduce the damage your weapon does if you're fighting enemies that have a higher level than your character? I always hated being artificially limited like that.

How open is the game? Can you wander freely around between areas without loading, or are areas separated by some form of mechanic like flying between the hub location and your destination?

Back