Designing board games

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
They are REALLY easy to create.
The thing is, I have more fun playing board games than real time games.
Why do I have such an addiction?

I'm playing Freeciv and I find it more fun than Rise of Nations(which is effectively the same thing but in real time).
Then there is Chess which is the only MP game where I actually came back to play.

So this discussion is going to be about how would someone go about designing a fun but complex board game?
The trick is that it has to appeal to people and not just be fun for a single person.

Obviously some board games like Chess are easy to learn but impossible to master but games like Checkers are easy to learn and master.

What makes board games fun?

K.I.L.E.R said:
They are REALLY easy to create.
The thing is, I have more fun playing board games than real time games.
Why do I have such an addiction?

I'm playing Freeciv and I find it more fun than Rise of Nations(which is effectively the same thing but in real time).
Then there is Chess which is the only MP game where I actually came back to play.
Have you tried "Risk" (when played 'properly', i.e. involving negotiation and bargaining) and "Rummikub", which involves luck, a good memory, planning ahead etc etc?

EDIT: (just looked up freeciv) When you say "board" games are you still only playing against a computer?

For board games look into Settlers of Cataan. Often cited by Video Game Designers as one of the most addictive games they've played.

Back