Deprecated Technologies

Davros

Legend
Out of interested I wondered when was the last time you ran a game that had an option to enable :

A : Nvidia Physx
B : Tress-FX
C : Tru Sound

ps: any more that come to mind?

B : Tress-FX

Is still being used in games, but since it has very little performance cost, is free to use and modify, and runs on pretty much anything there's no options to disable it in any game that implements it. AMD updated it to version 5.0 last year (https://gpuopen.com/tressfx/) and have stated their intention to also update it to work with UE5.

I believe it's more often used in China and S. Korea than in the west, but it can be hard to tell since many developers will make changes to the code and then call it their own thing. Like how Square-Enix called their version of TressFX - Pure Hair.

When looking this up, I found out that Horizon Zero Dawn also used TressFX. Interesting. A lot of titles use it, but it's not necessarily advertised as being used since it's just included in the SDK for many engines and/or modified enough that a developer will give it a new name. So, its usage is probably a lot more widespread than even I knew about.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Tons of games ship with msaa. Not deferred renderers of course, but it's quite common, especially in VR games.
Oh I wasn’t aware it was used in VR. Other than Forza Horizon, has it seen any recent use outside of VR?

there's no options to disable it in any game that implements it.
There was in Tomb Raider
There is no Tressfx option in Horizon (that doesn't mean it doesn't use it)
Also read Deus Ex mankind Divided uses it (another Square Enix game like horizon) but there is no option there is however an option for MSAA
read (in a reddit post) that Litchdom Battlemage uses it but I cant test as I no longer have it installed, searching google I found posts complaining that Tressfx wasnt selectable on Nvidia cards, but you can enable it by messing with a config file

Last edited:
eyefinity is still supported as is nv surround.
Ultrawides are an alternative but multi monitors are still favoured by some people for racing sims because of the way you can angle the screens
also if you want something really wide for cheap you can get 27" monitors for £125 so for £375 you could have something roughly 80" wide

Last edited:
eyefinity is still supported as is nv surround.
Ultrawides are an alternative but multi monitors are still favoured by some people for racing sims because of the way you can angle the screens
also if you want something really wide for cheap you can get 27" monitors for £125 so for £375 you could have something roughly 80" wide
I know its still in the drivers but I haven't really heard about it much or any new improvements.

I ran eyefinity for a decade but ultimately the bezels on the monitors ruined it for me. Perhaps 3 ultra wides would work better. Wife would kill me tho

As in really deprecated? Not usable anymore?

Truform on ATi GPUs. I do not think you can make it work with the latest AMD offerings if you load up a game from that era.
Shadow Buffers on Nvidia GPUs. I think they do not work on anything past the Geforce 4 series tmk.

Back