Deprecated Technologies

Can I have confirmation on thread intentions. Title is 'depreciated', meaning decreased in value. Conversation looks to be 'deprecated' as in discontinued. I presume the intention is the latter, tech that has disappeared from games, and I should edit the title?

It depends on how reductive you want to be with technology, but iPhone owners will use IR dot projectors and cameras every time they use their device. :)

The technology (no idea if MS still refers to it internally as Kinect) is used in HoloLens, albeit are they still producing and marketing that to corporations or is it mostly limited to the military now?

Regardless...

Can I have confirmation on thread intentions. Title is 'depreciated', meaning decreased in value. Conversation looks to be 'deprecated' as in discontinued. I presume the intention is the latter, tech that has disappeared from games, and I should edit the title?

I interpreted the intent as in deprecated/no longer used in games.

Regards,
SB

- Every few years there is a new 3d hype ... now we call it VR ;)
- Kinect
- truform/npatches (or what was it called...)
- Glide :( (3dfx)
3DTruform blew my mind back in the day. too bad not alot of games use it. Yeah I fired up a game I had that used it. Not working. I wonder if it's possible to do a wrapper.

We might as well throw in NV's Quadratic Surfaces from their first graphics chip, NV1.

For sound, MIDI is also not likely to be found in games anymore. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if some indie game leveraged it for additional nostalgic value

Of course, those have been dead a long time now in games.

Regards,
SB

It's been a while since I've seen it in action or read up on it. From what I remember it subdivided the triangles making models more rounded. It worked nicely for some character models that supported it but would often be applies to other 3d models securely deforming them. I forget the FPS I played at the time, counterstrike or unreal tournament, that caused weapons to look like blimps when truform was enabled.

It's been a while since I've seen it in action or read up on it. From what I remember it subdivided the triangles making models more rounded. It worked nicely for some character models that supported it but would often be applies to other 3d models securely deforming them. I forget the FPS I played at the time, counterstrike or unreal tournament, that caused weapons to look like blimps when truform was enabled.
It was Unreal Tournament. IIRC some games had a slider where you could select the level of tessellation but yeah most games exhibited this behavior where some models looked like they where pumped with air and became all rounded. I think another game where I used Truform was Morrowind but it may have been a mod, it didn't have official support.

Matrox Head-casting (not really a gaming technology)
It was castrated vertex shader engine only capable of matrix palette skinning with extra constant registers over dx8 spec, not sure should it be singled out from full vertex shaders.

As for TruForm, it was curious. It didn't really catch on widely, but several games could support it and enable it via .ini modifications. Neverwinter nights comes to mind, it caused gaps in some models but was iirc still worth it

What about some of the old AA models like NV Quincunx and ATI SmoothVision? Also remember HyperZ where ATI figured out you could losslessly compress Z buffer for bandwidth and compute savings? I guess technically it's still probably around, invisibly to the end customer.

Or for that matter, remember AGP Texture Acceleration? It's gone now, although simply superceded by modern PCIe memory reservation tech.

What about some of the old AA models like NV Quincunx and ATI SmoothVision? Also remember HyperZ where ATI figured out you could losslessly compress Z buffer for bandwidth and compute savings? I guess technically it's still probably around, invisibly to the end customer.

Or for that matter, remember AGP Texture Acceleration? It's gone now, although simply superceded by modern PCIe memory reservation tech.
SmoothVision was just AMD's name for their AA solutions.
First it was SSAA (IIRC it ended up being Rotated Grid even though it supported apparently programmable sample positions) with R8500, 2.0 came with R9700 and added MSAA (up to 6x). I think they got SmoothVision HD at some point too before the name was dropped.

Quincunx was never anything but blur filter and nothing will change that.

Back