Demoscene yummy stuffs!

Guden Oden

Legend
I dunno if many of you guys are too young to have been into this kind of deal, but back in the day I luvd demos. There were some downright crazy colorful stuff being made for the Amiga and Atari ST in particular (seeing as all that POS computer had was a 68k @ 8MHz and a squeaky Yamaha FM synth). The Carebears in particular did very good ST demos as I recall.

Hence it really brought a tear of nostalgia to my eye when I watched "Obsoleet", it was very nicely done (though a few touches could have made it even better), and it had just the right retro feel to it. Great design, some really neat visuals (best CRT/moire simulation I've ever seen), kickass music and like I said - tons of nostalgia. Very neat demo.

Then I watched "Planet Risk", and while it was much more cinematic in nature, it too looked and sounded AWESOME! Definitely some of the best designs and effects I've ever seen in a demo. Very professional, I have to say.

My handle had something to do with this subject. :) I get nostalgia overload from watching these, and my HD is a virtual mirror of the site. :)

Hey Demo,

Seeing as your drive's a mirror of the site, what's your favorite productions? :) I don't really know which groups are consistently good/awesome on the PC, I'm an Amiga guy at heart. :D

Well, from Amiga days, I remember only a few groups: ByteRappers, Crionics, and Cryptoburners. I remember liking their demos.

There was one demo that told a story, 2 floppies, using filled vectors and filled cylinders, a space sci-fi movie-like thing. Really impressed with overall design (many demos are just like music videos on LSD) Can't remember the name, but I remember the main ship pulling a "top gun" maneuver in it.

Well, I meant your fav PC demos, if you got any. :)

I like Farbrauch's Candytron and Popular Demo demos, they've got great gfx, sound and overall production. I still got an old DOS demo called 303 too that totally rocked, it had metaballs and all kinds of weird impressive stuff that looked awesome for its time, software renderer all the way through, but I can't get sound in particular to work in winxp... :(

I'm not exactly up to date on the PC demo scene, but demos by farbrausch, exceed, moppi or haujobb are generally very high quality. One of my all time favorites is "Spot" by exceed. It's pretty old, but really great.

I forget the name, but that demo coded on/for PS2 was seriously trippy and VERY impressive.

"The Popular Demo" with the discoball head guy is good too.

Back