Demon's Souls Remake [PS5]

The weird light source from the character has been in all Souls games, and Nioh too, and a lot more games of this type. I’ve never actually understood the point of it, as you can also carry a torch which illuminate the vicinity. Who knows.
It's to make sure that player doesn't have to carry a torch. (Leaving both hands free etc.)

Considering how lighting is done it's also a lot more pleasant to watch than wildly swaying harsh light and shadows from torch.
If those would be properly made, lighting could be more pleasant even with swaying torch. (Area light weakening during fast movement and shadows acting accordingly. (A case where motion blurred ray tracing would be awesome.))

Certainly would be interesting to have a game where this would be handled properly without invisible lightsources and forcing player to act the part.

Anyone know the status of the Demon's Soul trademark? I couldn't turn up anything in the Trademark Search.

Maybe it will release one day in 3 or 4 years or maybe if one day Sony release a PS6. But not day one.

Not on day one no, but then we have no clue as to when it will be ported. We see that more and more sony stuff appears on pc atleast. Which is a good thing.

Edit: Why does the new video say Playstation exclusive, and not PS5 exclusive?

Last edited:
Not on day one no, but then we have no clue as to when it will be ported. We see that more and more sony stuff appears on pc atleast. Which is a good thing.

When title finish commercial life with very low sales on PS5 or maybe when next generation console releases. After all the core business of Sony Playstation is digital retailer because they earn majority of revenue on PSN with third party content and Playstation console being the gateway to the content. Epic Game Store and Steam are competitor like the Xbox Live. They all chase third party royalties.;)

EelgDwiXYAI8uTp.png:small

Playstation console being the gateway to the content.

They seem to move more and more to digital content indeed. Stores seem very profitable even if their bad. I think Sony wants some of that cake too, and that unfortenately means the pc, a very big userbase.
Seemingly, having to keep pace with older hardware from 2013 doesnt seemt o impact the visual quality of Spiderman and FW all that much. On the contrary, people all thought those graphics where possible because Sony didnt do cross gen with those games. It's not so much of a difference to demon souls in the graphics department, comparing to spiderman, fw etc.

On forums and FB; many still think FW is the best looker out there so far. With Spiderman and DS being close to that.
I want to say, this cross-gen/scaling doesn't apparently have to be bad, when done right that is.

They seem to move more and more to digital content indeed. Stores seem very profitable even if their bad. I think Sony wants some of that cake too, and that unfortenately means the pc, a very big userbase.
Seemingly, having to keep pace with older hardware from 2013 doesnt seemt o impact the visual quality of Spiderman and FW all that much. On the contrary, people all thought those graphics where possible because Sony didnt do cross gen with those games. It's not so much of a difference to demon souls in the graphics department, comparing to spiderman, fw etc.

On forums and FB; many still think FW is the best looker out there so far. With Spiderman and DS being close to that.
I want to say, this cross-gen/scaling doesn't apparently have to be bad, when done right that is.

Again PC store is not the same. You don't understand. Sony like Apple or Xbox is master of its ecosystem. If they open the store on PC, they need to invest a lot to fight against Steam for third party content.

Sony main source of revenue is third party content on PSN. They can never do the same on PC because there is one dominant actor and it is open competition. PSN and Playstation consoles are a closed ecosystem. If they want to do the same on PC, Steam , Epic game store, GOG or any other store need to close.

Imo Demon Soul's looks better than Spiderman but this is launch title and we will see much better. Forbiddent West looks better but it will look dated soon by true next generation title next year and in 2022, Third or first party... If it is not the case the PS4 version will have trouble.

It's to make sure that player doesn't have to carry a torch. (Leaving both hands free etc.)

Considering how lighting is done it's also a lot more pleasant to watch than wildly swaying harsh light and shadows from torch.
If those would be properly made, lighting could be more pleasant even with swaying torch. (Area light weakening during fast movement and shadows acting accordingly. (A case where motion blurred ray tracing would be awesome.))

Certainly would be interesting to have a game where this would be handled properly without invisible lightsources and forcing player to act the part.

Dragon's dogma got real dark if spelunking without torch or light magic

It looks like he’s walking around with his phone on. Checking Instagram, slaying demons... check B3D, jump, slay knight, check YouTube, pull lever, selfie.

The game never relased on PS4. This is a Ps3 games and the Soul's Series was less popular, Dark Soul's 3 sold 10 millions and Demons Soul's maybe 2 million. I think the game will sell well and it will be the first run for many people.

It's a popular series for something that is relatively niche.

https://segmentnext.com/2020/07/13/dark-souls-franchise-sales/
  • Demon Souls - over 1 million
  • Dark Souls - over 2.7 million
    • This does NOT include the remastered version as sales numbers were never released
  • Dark Souls 2 - over 2.5 million
  • Dark Souls 3 - over 10 million
  • Bloodborne - over 2 million
Not bad for a relatively niche series. Bloodborne likely would have sold between 5-10 million if it wasn't exclusive to PS4.

Regards,
SB

The weird light source from the character has been in all Souls games, and Nioh too, and a lot more games of this type. I’ve never actually understood the point of it, as you can also carry a torch which illuminate the vicinity. Who knows.

For the Dark Souls games the explanation is easy enough.

The player character still carries the "fire" in them. It's why they haven't turned fully into a zombie (not zombie, but can't remember the game's terminology for those who have lost the fire).

It's also a way to allow the player model to be lit and visible to players even in areas that are mostly pitch black. Without it, you wouldn't be able to even see your character in some locations. In those locations it's also notable that it really doesn't light up much of the surroundings. It's weak and isn't meant to be a usable light source.

Regards,
SB

Just a musing, but I am still shocked this game is getting a remaster of this quality given it had such a tumultuous development cycle and shunned by its own publisher SECJ. Even after hearing about it before I played it, I never felt the difficulty was overbearing and (as the director said) only served to give players a sense of accomplishment for paying attention and clearing areas. Its online implementation was brilliant and gave a sense of community for what would have been a standard single player action rpg... I am still bummed that pvp boss fights like the Old Monk never made a return to the future souls games and I hope they don't cut it from the remake.

I am thankful Atlus saw its "lighting in a bottle" potential and delivered it to westerners who were far more forgiving of its design choices because imo its one of the most important games in history.

Personally I didnt think it looked that good, the guys cartoonish running animation was very offputting as well.

Also cause my game is similar and its something thats bothered me, in these indoor areas do ppl mind that the person has a lightsource even though they are not holding a torch or anything?
I suppose one could argue (even though its unrealistic) it emulates being able to see whats in your immediate vicinity, but its not something Im not happy with, perhaps just make them hold a torch in one hand? but then what happens if they have a sword and shield?

Now that I have time to actually watch the trailer, the protagonist has a crystal hanging from his belt that is emitting light. It's also casting shadows off the player character. Pretty neat effect.

Regards,
SB

Personally I didnt think it looked that good, the guys cartoonish running animation was very offputting as well.

Also cause my game is similar and its something thats bothered me, in these indoor areas do ppl mind that the person has a lightsource even though they are not holding a torch or anything?
I suppose one could argue (even though its unrealistic) it emulates being able to see whats in your immediate vicinity, but its not something Im not happy with, perhaps just make them hold a torch in one hand? but then what happens if they have a sword and shield?

He has that glowing soapstone (was it) on his left hip. The light effect isn't right. It's as if the light emanating from his body lol. You can see it in the new remake vid.

OK thanks guys I tested have a torch vs a light emanating from the selected character vs no lights (as you can see in the video)

Its hard to say, no light is easily the worse, and yes having a torch looks good, but then what happens when the player has a sword and shield, where do they hold the torch? On the belt like demons soul, hmmm. Do I give each person a torch?
Its the gameplay vs realism tradeoff, and off course gameplay should always triumph in such a situation

I'll think about it some more

Yep. The video clearly showed RT shadows, and it was running at 60fps. Imagine the oMg dOwNgRaDe BrIgAdE!!! if the game was released with RT only on the 30fps mode.

Back