Dell 2007WFP

radeonic2 said:
Color IS a factor for me- I'm very sensitive to irregular colors [...]
The bottom line is that with a crt I get overall better quality since it can display dark scenes fine, can sync to multible res, is bright bright enough and has a better gamma curve so colors as better.
Which irregular colours? Have you seen a recent, high quality LCD next to a CRT? Have you actually seen any gamma curve problems? Fact is, many professionals who absolutely depend on accurate colours use LCDs (calibrated, of course).

Crts are bigger(deeper) and heavier but I had no problems taking my 19" HP up 13 steps, but I suppose not all of us have massive muscles like me.. oh wait, I forgot, I rarely work out and am in poor physical condition.
That's 18" visible, right? Call me spoiled, but I feel that's too small nowadays. There are plenty of CRTs with 20" visible, but for many people that's really pushing it as far as size and mass goes.

(Note: I'm not claiming LCD is better. There are still reasons to get a CRT.)

Last edited by a moderator:
ANova said:
I am incapable of refuting your arguments so I'm not going to respond to any of them

EasyRaider said:
Which irregular colours? Have you seen a recent, high quality LCD next to a CRT? Have you actually seen any gamma curve problems? Fact is, many professionals who absolutely depend on accurate colours use LCDs (calibrated, of course).
Yep and I also regulariy read lcd reviews where they actually show the gamma curves and colors.. extremetech is a good source for that.
Here's what a 2007 WFP looks like.
http://www.extremetech.com/image_popup/0,1694,s=1021&iid=130817,00.asp

That's 18" visible, right? Call me spoiled, but I feel that's too small nowadays. There are plenty of CRTs with 20" visible, but for many people that's really pushing it as far as size and mass goes.
Yep and I sit close enough to where it's about as big as I'd want to go.
That display was free...
I had to help someone move but it was free, none the less.
My 16" (current) viewable display is small, that much I agree, but 18 and 19" it big enough.
It does have the advantage of having a far superior gamma curve (compared to my old 19", the other one I had to adjust it massivly and it still wasn't quite right, and it wasn't bright enough.
If it's like 1920x1440 then like a 20" viewable should be used but in order to use such a res you'd have to have a couple gpus...

Don't get me started on 30" displays :LOL:

(Note: I'm not claiming LCD is better. There are still reasons to get a CRT.)
Indeed there are, but not everyone likes superior colors, contrast and the ability to sync to multible resolutions.
But if all you do is do email, office docs and internet there's no reason not to use an lcd though ;)

I find some of the comments in this thread bizarre....

I spent many years with nice high brightness Diamondtron CRTs. However, any semi-dark game (particularly of the FPS variety) would be so dark that I'd be forced to add gamma to get anything visible (this is with brightness and contrast turned up all the way). This inherently defeated any chance at decent contract while gaming. Playing such games on my 2005FPWs, I agree that the blacks are not as black as a good CRT, but the end result in terms of contrast is way way better because you can leave gamma alone. And this means more vibrant colours, more interesting picture, etc...

The first time I fired up WoW on a 2005FPW, I sat and stared at the vibrancy of a flame elemental for a few minutes in astonishment. It just so totally blew away my CRT-based bleached out expectations.

Now not all TFTs are made equal of course. I also have a Samsung 710N with TN panel which I once tried playing half life on. Gah, yuck, etc. Mostly grey rather than black in all dark scenes and definitely not superior to a good CRT. Still, as secondary monitor it serves it's purpose.

But hey, if you want to spend more than the 500 euros my 19 inch CRT cost in 2002 you can probably get better. However, I am definitely converted over to the TFT side on picture quality, not to mention desk space and desktop size.

radeonic2 said:
Crts are bigger(deeper) and heavier but I had no problems taking my 19" HP up 13 steps, but I suppose not all of us have massive muscles like me.. oh wait, I forgot, I rarely work out and am in poor physical condition.
Silly me.

so you won't join US army? :)
anyway I don't mind it, since we agree that CRT are superior.
I didn't have problems carrying a 20kg or more monitor either when I didn't have muscles, now that I grew some, I can probably carry a 21" one on my own.
CRT are not even a problem for lan parties. I can stuff them in a small european car, and there's plenty of room on the "desks" (big wood boards that belong to the rural town)

I can live with 16" visible for now, would be perfect with 18" visible.

I spent many years with nice high brightness Diamondtron CRTs. However, any semi-dark game (particularly of the FPS variety) would be so dark that I'd be forced to add gamma to get anything visible (this is with brightness and contrast turned up all the way). This inherently defeated any chance at decent contract while gaming. Playing such games on my 2005FPWs, I agree that the blacks are not as black as a good CRT, but the end result in terms of contrast is way way better because you can leave gamma alone. And this means more vibrant colours, more interesting picture, etc...

maybe your monitor was to dark, no problem for me. birghtness should never be all the way up, it must be set so you have perfect black and it becomes gray if you set it a few percent higher.
most games are fine, then for doom3 or counterstrike (which has dark corridors), adding 1.1 or 1.2 gamma is no problem. (gamma set in console in doom3. I also can set gamma with ctrl-alt-F1 to F4 hotkeys, that's cool)

Blazkowicz_ said:
so you won't join US army? :)
anyway I don't mind it, since we agree that CRT are superior.
I didn't have problems carrying a 20kg or more monitor either when I didn't have muscles, now that I grew some, I can probably carry a 21" one on my own.
CRT are not even a problem for lan parties. I can stuff them in a small european car, and there's plenty of room on the "desks" (big wood boards that belong to the rural town)

I can live with 16" visible for now, would be perfect with 18" visible.

maybe your monitor was to dark, no problem for me. birghtness should never be all the way up, it must be set so you have perfect black and it becomes gray if you set it a few percent higher.
most games are fine, then for doom3 or counterstrike (which has dark corridors), adding 1.1 or 1.2 gamma is no problem. (gamma set in console in doom3. I also can set gamma with ctrl-alt-F1 to F4 hotkeys, that's cool)
I have to lose 30 pounds to join ;)
I may not work out but I'm still reasonobly strong.
Anyway I'll get an lcd when they offer comparable black levels and the scaling is good enough to where it atleast looks comparable to a crt at non native res.

My main computer uses a CRT, simply because I've seen even high dollar LCDs that look like crap when not run at their native resolution. This, is the only downfall of the LCD to me, and it will probably continue to be the downfall into either A.) A LCD comes out that handles tons of resolutions very well, or B.) I can afford the highest end graphics card constantly so I dont get 5 FPS in the newest games at native resolutions.

I had an Iiyama 431S 17" LCD monitor (TN panel, DVI, 1280*1024), and anything I ran out of its native resolution looked like a mess. It was really unusuable at anything other than 1280*1024.

I now have a Viewsonic VX2025wm - a 20.1" LCD monitor (MVA panel, DVI, 1680*1050) and running at 1280*1024 stretched in games still looks amazing. It really is absolutely astonishing the difference in the scaler between the two monitors.

Do you find there's much difference between using driver scaling and monitor scaling for non-native resolutions? I've got a 6800 Ultra and the 2005FPW does a very slightly better job IMHO - most visible with black text on a white background, though it's hard to tell unless you flip back and forth repeatedly. I might just be imaging things, lol. For gaming there's no noticeable difference.

MuFu said:
From carrying around your CRT?
um.. ya..
I weigh 225~ pounds dude...
Besides no one carries their computer around that much to actually get strong from it :p
edit- a 19" crt should weight around 60 pounds.. that's not a lot of weigh just to carry around for a few minutes.

Back