Dell 2007WFP

Nice. Wassup with WFP now instead of FPW? Some consultant making money to rearrange deck chairs yet again?

Dunno. Maybe they had problems with differentiating the FP and FPW SKUs (e.g. the "W" gets lopped off and little Billy tells his moron parents that the monitor they bought him is squashed).

Quite intrigued to see it first hand, TBH. The panel in the 2005FPW has this weird yellow/purple tinge to it sometimes that I think is unique to S-IPS. It can be a little offputting if you're close. Plus, the backlight problems with (all three revisions of) the 2005 are unbelieveble - I'm on my second one, and I know several people who have gone through 3 or 4 before getting one that's acceptable, let alone reasonably uniform.

I have uninstalled MIRC for the time being, geo. Too much BS, not enough work... :LOL:

MuFu said:
Quite intrigued to see it first hand, TBH. The panel in the 2005FPW has this weird yellow/purple tinge to it sometimes that I think is unique to S-IPS. It can be a little offputting if you're close. Plus, the backlight problems with (all three revisions of) the 2005 are unbelieveble - I'm on my second one, and I know several people who have gone through 3 or 4 before getting one that's acceptable, let alone reasonably uniform.

I have uninstalled MIRC for the time being, geo. Too much BS, not enough work... :LOL:
I ordered 3 and all 3 fpw's were perfect in pixels, no backlight issues, and good color. Maybe I am just incredibly lucky though. They were all bought this spring on a sale.

MuFu said:

My screen has this purple tinge as well, though I only notice it when I'm looking at the screen from a top down angle. It has great contrast, except for some backlight bleeding on the ends.

ANova said:
My screen has this purple tinge as well, though I only notice it when I'm looking at the screen from a top down angle. It has great contrast, except for some backlight bleeding on the ends.
But.. lcds are so much better than everything else ;)
BLASPHEMER!

I have a 2005FPW and I have 3 friends with at least one each. All of us are pleased with them. I think 2005FPW may have better color than my 2405FPW right next to it.

ANova said:
Oh they are, but they aren't perfect either.
Funny, my old viewsonic crt I'm currently using doesn't have any strange tints to it or problems with non uniform blacks :D
Guess that's what happens with "inferior" tech....they tend to have less severe issues than "superior" tech :LOL:

radeonic2 said:
Funny, my old viewsonic crt I'm currently using doesn't have any strange tints to it or problems with non uniform blacks :D
Guess that's what happens with "inferior" tech....they tend to have less severe issues than "superior" tech :LOL:

ANova said:
I only notice it when I'm looking at the screen from a top down angle. It has great contrast...

It's still much better than my last CRT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sxotty said:
I ordered 3 and all 3 fpw's were perfect in pixels, no backlight issues, and good color. Maybe I am just incredibly lucky though. They were all bought this spring on a sale.

That is very lucky, assuming they are the 20" variety. The colouration is inherent - all panels look identical this respect and it isn't really a problem, just an oddity. The backlight issue isn't really a "problem" with most examples until you turn the lights off. In the worst cases you can see the leakage under room lighting, which IMHO is pretty shocking for a $500 display. I'm just amazed that they've gone through two revisions now without fixing it. I've seen about ten 2005FPWs made in the past year and not a single one is without noticeable backlight leakage.

Having said that, people only tend to get annoyed by it once you point it out to them. :LOL:

I knew about the issue before I bought it, and I did check it with the lights off. I used the handy dandy red, green, blue, black, white screens you can find on some web sites first thing to check for dead pixels and leakage, they really are superb. I had read that the ones made after december 05 had finally fixed the issue though, but I do not honestly know whether that is true or not. I was personally very impressed and happy with the display. I was terribly worried though before I bought them that I would end up screwed with dead pixels or bad back lights. My laptop has a dead pixel and I find it very annoying.

(They were all 2005fpw)

I only retained one, I had this silly idea that I would order 3 for a computer I was building someone and then pick the best one of the 3, but I couldn't tell much of any difference between them.

According to Hardware.fr news past march, the 2007 Dell can come with 2 sort of panels, one PVA, one IPS, without any warning. So if you order one, you may want to put a condition about the panel you may receive.

Sxotty said:
I knew about the issue before I bought it, and I did check it with the lights off. I used the handy dandy red, green, blue, black, white screens you can find on some web sites first thing to check for dead pixels and leakage, they really are superb. I had read that the ones made after december 05 had finally fixed the issue though, but I do not honestly know whether that is true or not.

Ah, well it sounds like they may have fixed it, finally - I haven't seen any 2005FPWs that recent. It probably depends a bit on where they are manufactured too. Hopefully whatever amendments they made have been incorporated into the 2007WFP.

PatrickL said:
According to Hardware.fr news past march, the 2007 Dell can come with 2 sort of panels, one PVA, one IPS, without any warning. So if you order one, you may want to put a condition about the panel you may receive.

That is interesting, if true. I don't think the backlight problem was related to the panel, so it might not be that big a deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
ANova said:
It's still much better than my last CRT.
"better" in what way, beside the obvious ways, like being a shit load brighter and not having to adjust the geometry as well as being shaper (which isn't always a good thing for everyone)?
The problem with lcds for me is like I said: they have more severe issues than crt tubes.
Crts have issue but they'll all minor in comparison to issues with lcds.

MuFu said:
I don't think the backlight problem was related to the panel, so it might not be that big a deal.
This may be incorrect, but I seem to remember the backlight bleeding was actually an issue of the plastic case. Supposedly if you pulled the monitor apart and put masking tape along the edges the backlight bleeding was going away. In otherwords the entire problem was caused by a crappy cheap piece of plastic not fitting snugly on a very expensive monitor :(

Back