Dead Space

It's great. Very good athmosphere, but the combat is lacking quite a lot compared to Dead Space.

Wow. I guess I'm going to have to try and give Dead Space another try.

I thought exactly the opposite, that the combat in Bioshock was far superior to Dead Space.

Maybe I didn't get far enough before I decided it was just like Doom III and gave up because of the ridiculousness and repetition.

Of course, that's really a function of the nature of the encounters, not the usability of the combat systems....

Wow. I guess I'm going to have to try and give Dead Space another try.

I thought exactly the opposite, that the combat in Bioshock was far superior to Dead Space.

Maybe I didn't get far enough before I decided it was just like Doom III and gave up because of the ridiculousness and repetition.

Of course, that's really a function of the nature of the encounters, not the usability of the combat systems....
If you were able to play it like Doom 3, maybe you should start it with a higher difficulty?
I can understand that combat wouldve been boring if you just mindlessly could shoot anything.

I also agree Dead Space is far superior to Bioshock with regards to combat. Aside from big daddy fights, Bioshock combat was totally mediocre for me. Deadspace is the spiritual successor to System Shock2 for me. Even though Bioshock obviously tried to mimic SS2 much harder.

I agree, the Pulse rifle is shit.

Pulse rifle has very good stopping power, especially upgraded. In dead space every time your bullet connects with an enemy you interrupt their animation. So it is very useful to have a gun with such a high rate of fire and good accuracy.

I used the Pulse Rifle and Flamethrower for about 2 mins each before selling them.

See, there is your problem.

Yeah, I now bought the force gun because people said it was strong but I dont like it. Pulse Rifle is better. Force gun just kicks enemy's back, it doesnt seem to kill them. Than I rather have the Pulse. Stops them too and kills them.

I use the pulse rifle for those giant tentacles. :/ My weapon of choice for my crappy aim. :p

I'm still on my first play on normal. I'm only using the plasma cutter, rifle, line gun, and flamethrower mostly because I'm cheap and I want to spend on upgrades instead of the new weapons. :LOL: I figure if there's an achievement for using only the plasma cutter, I won't *need* the other weapons per se.

Yeah, I now bought the force gun because people said it was strong but I dont like it. Pulse Rifle is better. Force gun just kicks enemy's back, it doesnt seem to kill them. Than I rather have the Pulse. Stops them too and kills them.

Force gun is very useful but not in the way you are expecting it to be.

What it is very good besides pushing back crowds of enemies is killing groups of spiders and other creepy crawly things in just 1 blast. Also the secondary fire is a grenade which is very useful against certain baddies like the freak things that are growing out of the walls.

A fully upgraded force gun is godly: it deals enough damage to kill off most enemies at close range with a single shot, and if you knock over more than just one enemy without actually killing them you can finish them all off with a single grenade. I love that thing and I always got plenty of ammo for it too.

But it takes a shitload of nodes to upgrade and I got it in chp10 (im at 12 now) so I got way to little nodes to do decent upgrades on it. I had 6 nodes left and decided to spend 3 on fully upgrading my suit and just save the rest for if I might need them. My pulse and plasma are full power anyway and things like capacity and reload speed dont matter that much.

Well, you can always uprade in a new game+. It's a bit pointless though as you can't switch difficulty settings. New game+ is a bit of a joke because of that.

I cheated a little by buying the force gun dlc to give me a bit of an edge on insane difficulty.

I doubt I will be replaying the game. With games like this, im never really interrested in playing it again. Much of the fun comes form following the story and wanting to see the next level. Once i've seen it all its not fun anymore. I had the same with RE4, loved it every second, wanted to play it again to get all the high powerd weapons but got bored after 5 minutes because I just couldnt get into it anymore.

I think im pretty close to the end now (to avoid spoilers, im now at the point where someone tells you to watch a video again). I've got I think 5 or 6 nodes again and still 50k+ cash. Maybe ill sell some extra stuff and buy another 6 or maybe 7 nodes and upgrade the force gun.

Finished the game. Seemed that I only had to take out the final boss. Must say it was a dissapointment. It was weak and even if you would not bother to avoid being hit (which isnt hard anyway.... plain strafing will do) you could still easily beat it if you have 2 or 3 medpacks. The thing that happend afterwards was funny though.

I downloaded the game demo and was not impressed. Graphics aren't that great. The music and environmental audio is pretty scary though.

I'm on chapter 8 on the 360 version.

What's up with the shadows for this game? They are fugly. Is it because it's multiplatform? The rest of the graphics range from average to good, but I don't see anything that looks so expensive that they couldn't afford to use higher quality shadows. What do you guys think is the reason behind this?

I think the reason is lower budget game or the artists/developers aren't A list. I mean look at RE5, it's also multiplatform and it's gorgeous. I know EA has some great tech as seen in Army of Two so it's not that.

I think the reason is lower budget game or the artists/developers aren't A list. I mean look at RE5, it's also multiplatform and it's gorgeous. I know EA has some great tech as seen in Army of Two so it's not that.
Army of Two IIRC used the Unreal engine, Dead Space uses an in-house engine. Based off the Godfather engine.

I'm up to Chapter 10. This game has been pretty entertaining. Rarely do I find myself playing through this much of a game.

While there is some repetitive nature to some/most of the levels, I have found the scenery and combat to be enjoyable.

I love the weapons and being able to upgrade them as well. I'll be finishing this game in the next day or so. Started last Thursday. Again, my gaming time has been greatly reduced recently and this has trumped both Gears and Left 4 Dead!

my gaming time has been greatly reduced recently and this has trumped both Gears and Left 4 Dead!

Yep Dead Space was my game of the year, excellent combat, button layout, athmosphere and on overall nice graphics too. I thought the shadows were nice, but maybe it was because I had just played Far Cry 2 on X360 which has weird looking rasterized shadows.

Yep Dead Space was my game of the year, excellent combat, button layout, athmosphere and on overall nice graphics too. I thought the shadows were nice, but maybe it was because I had just played Far Cry 2 on X360 which has weird looking rasterized shadows.

Yep, mine too. The last 4 chapters or so was a marathon gaming session for me as I just couldn't put the controller down. I'm working through Tales of Vesperia right now, but I'm seriously considering giving this another playthrough once I'm done with that.

I highly recommend playing on Impossible the second time around. Just make sure you start a New Game right after you finish the game. There may be a bug that removes the Impossible difficulty if you just quit the game.

Back