Dead Space

if you look more carefully the game doesn't feature self-shadowing. seriously. but i guess with all the dark atmosphere it's well overlooked. still gonna get it after beating farcry 2.

Picked up Dead Space earlier today. Just finished playing about 45 minutes, and I have to say that I'm very impressed. This game looks and sounds fantastic. I have a 5.1 system, and the soundstage used is very effective at creating tension. Definitely a sleeper hit.

Played through the first 4 chapters. Amazing game so far. It is a welcome breath of fresh air after torturing myself with a mediocre backlog after MGS4 was finished.

I think he says he doesn't understand the appeal of scary stuff, but why exactly do we care again?
It's not like he's saying the game isn't good.

My bad saying "apparently not very scary" though, it was the only review I read, I didn't think the topic would be controversial. That said, I personally don't expect this game to be scary at all, otherwise I will pass as well.

We care because it's supposed to be a survival horror game and if the game doesn't give you chills or make you sit at the edge of your seat or jump once in a while, it's a failed experience.

Honestly, I don't understand how somebody could not understand the appeal of scary games or movies. The dude needs to read a psychology book, not review scary games or movies.

The game looks a lot to me like Doom3, which was a scary game and the scary moments (although repetitive and contrived as the game went on), were some of the best in recent times.

I played through to chapter 2 last night. I was kicking myself for buying the wide gun right before the flamethrower became available. This is possibly the most polished and immersive experience I've ever seen in a game -- hats off to EARS/Games! It doesn't hurt that it seems to draw inspiration from two of my all-time favorite films: Alien(s) and The Thing.

The game looks a lot to me like Doom3, which was a scary game and the scary moments (although repetitive and contrived as the game went on), were some of the best in recent times.

Atmosphere-wise, this game is very similar to Doom3. Where Dead Space kills D3 is the sound. Most likely its because now my PS3 has a proper 5.1 system. It's very creepy to play in the dark and actually hear things behind or above you.

Can't say it enough, but EA did a fantastic job on this game. Sounds great, animates great, looks great. If mirror's edge has the same polish that Dead Space does, that game will be outstanding as well.

I'm with R1... I'm being forced to buy this. Tonight or just wait for tomorrow.. hmm..

I really should get stuff done tonight, and waste the weekend on this one :)

Game is really good,im pretty much scared to play,so the effect is there.Anyone like the signal light flashing in the eyes as the enemy rushes?

I dl'd the Elite suit last night (why not) and noticed there was another suit (forgot the name) that you could buy.

Umm..... these things don't actually influence the game in any way do they? They just change the way your character looks? Why would anybody spend any cash on that? It seems completely silly to me.

I just bought it tonight, drank a couple of beers while playing Madden and waiting for it to get dark outside, and I'm just hoping this game lives up to its expectations of creepy and scary and freaky.

I'll let you all know tomorrow whether or not it's for real or not.

I'm crossing my fingers.

I dl'd the Elite suit last night (why not) and noticed there was another suit (forgot the name) that you could buy.

Umm..... these things don't actually influence the game in any way do they? They just change the way your character looks? Why would anybody spend any cash on that? It seems completely silly to me.

They do. You can take more hits, and have more inventory slots, I believe. All the suits are the same. PS3 gets Obsidian, I think, 360 the Elite and there's the paid scorpion one.

Also, the elite/obsidian suits are a little weaker than an actual lvl 5 suit. But the scorpion suit is a little stronger.

Also, the elite/obsidian suits are a little weaker than an actual lvl 5 suit. But the scorpion suit is a little stronger.

Really? Hm, I was going off this. I guess virtually identical isn't that identical after all. The console-specific suits supposedly won't be free after Oct 28.

wow! what a game. It's like the cool parts of Doom 3 and Bioshock put together and but I like this game MUCH more than both of those. The controls and weapons are cool. I got used to the controls very quickly so there was no learning curve. On my HT setup this game is just fantastic and brings forth the atmosphere perfectly. I play really paranoid so that keeps the jumpy movements in check.

Where are you guys getting the cool suits to download from? :(
Also, what should I buy and upgrade? I've used just 1 done for + damage on the plasma cutter (starting weapon) but I don't like the idea of using nodes on empty spaces :|

Thanks for the recommendation on the game guys and to others reading this, it's a great game. Get it.

I don't like scary games, but it looks like this is the sleeper hit this year. Will check it out on Monday.

hi, does anyone have a european version (like uk or german). i would like to know if and what language options for the spoken words (not subtitles) are available.

and: i saw a video comparison between ps3 and xbox360. for my taste the ps3 looked better colorwise, i could not tell about the textures. are there some in depth comparisons available (maybe against a pc version if possible). i am undecided what version to get.

Back