Dead Space

I wasn't planing on picking this game up until I played it at comic con and had a blast. Now I just need to decide on what version to get, hehe.

I wasn't planing on picking this game up until I played it at comic con and had a blast. Now I just need to decide on what version to get, hehe.

EA Redwood Shores has done one of the best jobs I've seen of making sure their game runs equally well on the 360 and PS3. The game looks great, sounds great, and plays great on both platforms. Neither version is missing a crucial feature, and EA has outdone most other major third party publishers by including Trophy support in the PS3 version. The game runs identically on both platforms, and controls equally as well on either controller. You'll be able to save yourself a few seconds when loading a saved game on the PS3 version, but this isn't something you'd notice unless you were actively timing it. Ultimately, the PS3 and 360 version of the game will deliver an identically entertaining and atmospheric experience.

That's from IGN.

I don't like to get scared so I probably won't play it... But this game has come very, very far from what it looked like when the first screens were released. Nice work, and a real surprise that it's coming from EA.

wow 9 from Gamespot

• Deeply engrossing story
  • Breathtaking visuals and nerve-wracking audio
  • Strategic dismemberment adds an entirely new, satisfying dimension to combat
  • Truly terrifying gameplay keeps you on the edge of your seat.
Dead Space is a remarkable game from a well-tread genre that manages to stand out from its competitors in almost every way, from visual presentation to engaging story, innovative combat mechanics to fright factor. Whether you're looking for a terrifying horror experience or a deeply story-driven adventure that will keep you engaged for 15-20 hours, Dead Space is a fantastic game that you should not pass on.

Just when I thought I got away from this game, now I'm thinking about buying it on day one. Sounds fantastic, with some interesting comparisons being made to both RE4 and (don't kill me!) System Shock 2. The biggest win here seems to be the atmosphere, which is exactly what these sort of games need to succeed.

Nice, any game that uses a Sigur Ros song in it's trailer gets a thumbs up from me. It certainly seems to have presentation going for it. And I have this weird feeling of actually wanting to play a game, something I haven't felt in ages.

Nice trailer and so many good reviews, but something just doesn't give me the vibes of a good game. All the comparisons with RE4, man.....when I saw RE4 (I wasn;t a fan of RE before) I coulde see that this game will rock, I was floored immediately, the polish was there to be seen, but this Dead Space isn;t giving those vibes at all. Something seems amiss, like that SH5, though this seems much better than that but................I can't put my finger on it, but something seems to be lacking............:???:

I was interested in this since I saw the first trailer because the creature design was just my type of thing. But I feared it would just be an average Silent Hill in space type of game, without actually achieving the atmosphere of a SH game (and the EA malus I guess).
Good to see that it seems actually a very good game with nice story and atmosphere as well, now I`ve ordered it.

That great huh, I need to rewatch that Qore episode. The main thing I remember was the segment on the pregnant monster and the emphasis on scares (The entire episode was on creepy games). Someone please post quick impressions when you have the game.

Despite being marketed as one, it's not very scary apparently.

So who to believe.

You, or all the reviews and comments after this one?

I'm being serious. Where did you get the idea that it's apparently not very scary?

Also: Paranoia - what comparisons of the game have been made to System Shock? Or, I guess to say, what about the game have people been saying compares favorably to System Shock?

I'm tempted to go buy this after work today.

I don't like to get scared so I probably won't play it... But this game has come very, very far from what it looked like when the first screens were released. Nice work, and a real surprise that it's coming from EA.
The scores are so high that this game must be the Soty (sleeper of the year). Even Gamespy scored it with a 10.

http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/dead-space/920032p1.html

Eurogamer scored it with a 7. :???: Sure, it hasn¡t blown other games away but I think the criticism it has received has been a bit harsh.

The game features effects like deferred rendering -KZ2, Alone in the Dark- and Ambien Occlusion, which are always nice (btw, loved your graphical analysis on Gears of War 2). Thanks for sharing

Cheers

Thanks Betan.

But the very first sentence of his review makes me wonder the validity of his conclusions.

I've never understood the appeal of scary games -- or movies, for that matter.

Hmm.. So somebody who doesn' t 'understand' scary games or even movies is the sole source saying the game isn't scary?

Having said that, he explains rather well why he doesn't think the game is scary.. apparently they've made it too easy to tell you what to do and this reviewer would much rather have a 'stumble around aimless in the darkness' difficulty setting.

Thanks for link, Betan.

Thanks Betan.
Hmm.. So somebody who doesn' t 'understand' scary games or even movies is the sole source saying the game isn't scary?
I think he says he doesn't understand the appeal of scary stuff, but why exactly do we care again?
It's not like he's saying the game isn't good.

My bad saying "apparently not very scary" though, it was the only review I read, I didn't think the topic would be controversial. That said, I personally don't expect this game to be scary at all, otherwise I will pass as well.

Back