Dead Space

PC ships October 20th. One of the many games coming soon which convinced me to send off for a 4870 last night.

Looks very interesting. And I think there's a lot of positive buzz.

I only have two real concerns.

Firstly, I hope there isn't a 100% focus on the strategic dismemberment. Don't know why I feel like that; at least it's something different.

Secondly, I haven't picked up much of a feel for the scares which I feel it has great potential for. This isn't any great insight but it most obviously reminds me of Event Horizon (which, despite a couple of shocks) I found silly.

good to see there is some interest in this quality game

I was beginning to think the only games anyone bought on B3d were exclusives. :p

I'm glad they bumped release date up from Oct 21 - 14th (consoles) as fable 2 and Far Cry are coming 21st, although Saints row 2 is releasing on the 14th as well... wow quite a game filled October.

good to see there is some interest in this quality game

I was beginning to think the only games anyone bought on B3d were exclusives. :p

I'm glad they bumped release date up from Oct 21 - 14th (consoles) as fable 2 and Far Cry are coming 21st, although Saints row 2 is releasing on the 14th as well... wow quite a game filled October.

Yeah, Dead Space on the 14th, Fable2 on the 21st, Fallout 3 on the 28th(?) and Gears2 on November 7th. Those games are all a little too close together for my liking. And Left 4 Dead in late November. Plus the others you mentioned, which will also be big titles. 360 has a strong Christmas lineup.

Yeah, Dead Space on the 14th, Fable2 on the 21st, Fallout 3 on the 28th(?) and Gears2 on November 7th. Those games are all a little too close together for my liking. And Left 4 Dead in late November. Plus the others you mentioned, which will also be big titles. 360 has a strong Christmas lineup.

It's a ridiculous month from Oct 7th to Nov 7th when you add in NBA 2k9 on 10/07 :D

I rarely spend that much money on games nor keep more than 4-5 games at a time (2-3 of them sports games) so I'm gonna have some hard choices but frankly I will probably have to pick one or two at a time and then slowly trade in for the other ones later. It will give me a couple of quality titles that I will probably pick up next spring that will fill a void.

I'm leaning toward Dead space on the 14th and then Far Cry or Fable on the 21st. all other games will follow later but that list and order changes daily. :)

It's a ridiculous month from Oct 7th to Nov 7th when you add in NBA 2k9 on 10/07 :D

I rarely spend that much money on games nor keep more than 4-5 games at a time (2-3 of them sports games) so I'm gonna have some hard choices but frankly I will probably have to pick one or two at a time and then slowly trade in for the other ones later. It will give me a couple of quality titles that I will probably pick up next spring that will fill a void.

I'm leaning toward Dead space on the 14th and then Far Cry or Fable on the 21st. all other games will follow later but that list and order changes daily. :)

I really want to play Dead Space, but I think I'm going Fable2 and Gears2 and leaving Dead Space and Fallout3 till Christmas or after.

IGN Review - 8.7

Call it science fiction survival horror, but Dead Space does the genre proud with an engaging story; action that's tense, fast-paced and extremely violent; as well as atmospheric qualities that will get under your skin and make you jump. It may be a newcomer, but the seeds of an incredible franchise have been sown, and EA's in a great position to reap a phenomenal franchise full of scares. If you like survival horror, action or sci-fi, Dead Space needs to be on your radar.

9.0 Presentation
A deep story and incredible atmosphere with tons of horror influences make Dead Space one of those titles that is a great starting point for a franchise.

9.0 Graphics
Visually striking, everything from the holograms to the Necromorphs is incredible. Pixilation during depressurization and mild slowdown crimp its style.

9.5 Sound
Voice acting is delivered beautifully, but it's the sound design that will have you jumping out of your seat and sending shivers down your spine.

8.5 Gameplay
A strong mix of action and exploration is only hampered by repetitive, though appropriate, backtracking and odd navigation issues.

8.5 Lasting Appeal
You'll have to play through the game multiple times to improve your gear and understand the full story. However, not being able to change your difficulty after you beat the game is a bad decision.

8.7 Great OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Yeah, saw the Dead Space presentation in Qore episode #5. The creatures are pretty well designed (
They showed the pregnant monster which gave birth to more nasties if you shot her in the belly
).

I am curious about this as well. There are just too many games this fall. I already have 10-12 on my list.

Surprisingly, some websites are mentioning this as the best thing after Resident Evil4 !!!! :oops:
That is one heck of a fun standard to match ! I have got intersted in it now, is it coming out for PC? Coz then I can get it cheaper, as I am already stripping my pocket with LBP, R2,Bluetooth Headset,KZ2,StlkerClear Sky, and the list goes on........

Yeah, it's a bit overwhelming at the moment. In Australia they delayed this until the 24th, which is a real shame... puts it right on top of Fable and Fallout. A week earlier and I'd be there day one. Oh well, it may release early.

On the plus side, early 2009 will be a great time to go bargain hunting for all those missed opportunities!

Now even Gamespot is saying this will be the new standard to judge SUrvival Horror Games for many years to come :oops: .Looks like I will have to check it out. I hope I can get it for cheap :(

Back