Dead Rising Has Amazingly Detailed Graphics (New Pics)

They've really nailed down the graphics for the cut-scenes, especially the skin. The first guy reminds me of The Rock (sans ridiculous hair).

More pics of the women! :p

I thought the cutscenes were some of the most tragically ugly things in the game.

The people in the cutscenes generally move like robots (which is an issue with a lot of games though), and the skin doesn't look that great in motion. It's definitely not doing any sort of SSS. The skin is just a high res texture that looks about as flat as can be.

The rest of the game is a whole lot more impressive, if you ask me.

:oops: I don't have the game. They seemed ok from the videos though.

They look like HL2 models (which isn't necessarily bad) -- high res textures that are well done, but seemingly nothing done to make the skin really look real.

Don't get me wrong, the game isn't ugly... it's just I found the flaws kind of distracting while watching cutscenes and thought the rest of the game hid them (since there aren't any close ups on faces when you're bashing zombie brains!) and was much more impressive overall. It's probably the whole issue of 'the closer we get to realism the more apparent the flaws become.'

One of the most impressive scenes i've seen so far is the clown with the 2 chainsaws mini-boss. Unfortunately not everyone will see him but the lighting, detail, and animation in his intro cutscene is extremely impressive. The only thing that doesnt scream 'quality' is his hair.

One of the most impressive scenes i've seen so far is the clown with the 2 chainsaws mini-boss. Unfortunately not everyone will see him but the lighting, detail, and animation in his intro cutscene is extremely impressive. The only thing that doesnt scream 'quality' is his hair.

What's the trick to get to this miniboss?

What's the trick to get to this miniboss?

It is the sidequest for the "out of control space ride" (i dont recall the exact name of it) in the mall. You can usually get it right after the first boss fight with brad through that next area of the mall, depending on the timing. You'll know it becuase you can see the rollercoaster ride zooming around overhead as you walk past, go up the stairs to the loading platform and walk over to the control panel, that will trigger it... enjoy! :)

They look like HL2 models (which isn't necessarily bad) -- high res textures that are well done, but seemingly nothing done to make the skin really look real.

Don't get me wrong, the game isn't ugly... it's just I found the flaws kind of distracting while watching cutscenes and thought the rest of the game hid them (since there aren't any close ups on faces when you're bashing zombie brains!) and was much more impressive overall. It's probably the whole issue of 'the closer we get to realism the more apparent the flaws become.'

Yeah the animation could use some work, but this guy has the most detailed face I've seen of any next generation title (target renders and all) :

Pretty impressive for just a first gen title from Capcom. Especially when I'm sure this title has nowhere near the budget of some of the bigger titles on the way. Bolds well for RE5 when that comes out :)

It is the sidequest for the "out of control space ride" (i dont recall the exact name of it) in the mall. You can usually get it right after the first boss fight with brad through that next area of the mall, depending on the timing. You'll know it becuase you can see the rollercoaster ride zooming around overhead as you walk past, go up the stairs to the loading platform and walk over to the control panel, that will trigger it... enjoy! :)

Thanks! :)

Pretty impressive for just a first gen title from Capcom. Especially when I'm sure this title has nowhere near the budget of some of the bigger titles on the way. Bolds well for RE5 when that comes out :)

Yeah, should be exciting to see what Capcom comes up. RE5, RE6, and who knows what other titles they come up with a couple years from now...

Yeah, and the textures are obviously processed photographs with a lot of the shading painted in them. The detail is there but it doesn't look good at all IMHO.

what are you guys praising cutscenes? the game itself is far from pretty me thinks

but thats maybe just me :devilish:

I'm not saying it didnt look nice, because it does. But saying it's the best face we have seen so far is kinda subjective sounding and very opininated. For example I happen to think solid snake looks pretty damn good on a hdtv. And if what kojima said is true, his face is pretty detailed as well, the rest of his body/uniform/clothing is even more technically impressive. And to say its better than target renders alike makes it sound even more subjective lol. We have seen some pretty amazing target renders and tech demos. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back