Da Vince Code movie reviews - generally bad

I enjoyed the book, as an action-y thriller-y book and nothing else. I am being forced to go see the movie even though i have no interest whatsoever in seeing it, as i know the story already... It's not like the Harry Potter movies (for example) where at least you can go to see the pretty special effects, and how the movie was translated from the imagination of the books... The Da Vinci Code is gonna be 2 and a half boring hours...

london-boy said:
I enjoyed the book, as an action-y thriller-y book and nothing else. I am being forced to go see the movie even though i have no interest whatsoever in seeing it, as i know the story already... It's not like the Harry Potter movies (for example) where at least you can go to see the pretty special effects, and how the movie was translated from the imagination of the books... The Da Vinci Code is gonna be 2 and a half boring hours...
Do what I do when you think a film at the cinema is going to be shit. Get £3 of pick 'n' mix, wait half an hour to see if you're keen on it. If not, eat as much as you can to induce short-term diabetic shock. The twitching off your eyelids and leg muscles will keep you occupied for the rest of the film, and by the time you walk out you'll be so hyper you'll have forgotten what the shit was on :LOL:

Rys said:
Do what I do when you think a film at the cinema is going to be shit. Get £3 of pick 'n' mix, wait half an hour to see if you're keen on it. If not, eat as much as you can to induce short-term diabetic shock. The twitching off your eyelids and leg muscles will keep you occupied for the rest of the film, and by the time you walk out you'll be so hyper you'll have forgotten what the shit was on :LOL:

... we're still talking about going to the movies, right? :devilish:

Chalnoth said:
I always thought that the book was supposed to be pure fiction anyway...

Actually no, Dan Brown claims much of his book is based on fact. Obviously his claims are without merrit.

Example he claims the priory of sion is an actual ancient organization, and the rituals you see them do are based on reality. He also claims the secret meetings of opus dei are real.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chalnoth said:
Or the hands, or the forehead...or any number of other possibly non-intimate locations.

Whatever. He kissed a woman. One, special women. There are no reports about Jesus making habit of kissing other people, be it other women, men, or his disciples.

Secondly, her background tells it's quite improbable she was an old, ugly cow.

Lastly, what a coincidence, Jesus was 30 yo unmarried man, who had just became charismatic leader of a large group (I guess chicks dig it as much as they did 2000 years ago)

Too many of those coincidences, if you ask me.

london-boy said:
I enjoyed the book, as an action-y thriller-y book and nothing else....
With the same basic theme ("an earth shatterring secret") and since you enjoyed TDVC, I'd recommend the book I just finished (I finished the last third of the book all of last night) : "The Last Templar" by Raymond Khoury. No, it doesn't have all those puzzles and anagrams as in TDVC but towards the end there's more action than TDVC. The man and woman protaganists have a relationship (unlike TDVC), the Vatican and the CIA (!) are determined to keep that secret hidden, there's land and sea action and most of all, and very unlike my experience with TDVC book, I really wanted to know what happens to the two protaganists as much as I wanted to know what the secret was (helped no doubt by the fact that the secret was revealed, kind of, quite a bit before the end, again unlike TDVC... and this is a good compliment for the book because although I knew the secret at that point in the book, my attention was still rapt because I wanted to know how the book would end wrt the two protaganists).

The dreaded word (Templar), two main characters that have a relationship, the Vatican, CIA, FBI, a start to the book that involves NYC's Met Museum of Art and a beheading by one of 4 "Templars", land & sea action, all by a screenplay writer of "Spooks" (TV show)... it should make a much better movie than TDVC while the world is currently in the religious conspiracy mood. What is that "secret"? Without spoiling anything in case you do buy the book, I'll just say that it has to do with a detailed journal written by "Jeshua of Nazareth".

CouldntResist said:
Lastly, what a coincidence, Jesus was 30 yo unmarried man, who had just became charismatic leader of a large group (I guess chicks dig it as much as they did 2000 years ago)

Too many of those coincidences, if you ask me.
I'd more believe that he fell in love with somebody before he died, personally.

Chalnoth said:
I'd more believe that he fell in love with somebody before he died, personally.
Which is to say you think Jesus Christ is only (a) man. Hey, a Man on a Mission with such a specific Message surely cannot risk or afford to fall in love! Or maybe God told Him "Oh, it's Love you're saying... well, in that case, forget what I told you and what you're supposed to do or not do... it's Love I want and it's Love you'll get! " :) :)

Would you consider yourself a Christian? How seriously would you consider yourself a Christian if yes?

Heck, I'd considered myself a Christian ever since my father introduced me to the Bible and said that was what he believed in (which basically meant that was what he expected me to believe in as well... familiar scenario to a lot of folks, you think?). Man, if I made a big deal out of claiming the only Son of God and Son of Man was Abraham (well, what do you... the Jews and the Muslims claim the same thing!), I'd be called a heretic by The Christian Government (The Vatican, in case you don't know). Luckily, it will die out because most folks won't really care because Money is the new God and due to this and because "democratic and sensitive" governments want to stay in power, I will be ignored!

I seriously doubt anyone really cares what The Truth is. Why on Earth did God determine that the regions surrounding The Holy Land are where we'll find the most oil? The result of such possible foresight of His surely hasn't led to anything positive.

Hey, did I go off topic? :)

I was raised a Christian, but would consider myself to currently be a devout athiest. That said, from what I do know of the Bible, I see no reason to believe that Jesus was celibate. It doesn't say anywhere in the mainstream-accepted Bible that Jesus was married, but then it also doesn't say what he did for something like 18 or so years before he started his teachings.

Nom De Guerre said:
Which is to say you think Jesus Christ is only (a) man. Hey, a Man on a Mission with such a specific Message surely cannot risk or afford to fall in love!

Jesus was a Jedi???? :oops:

Chalnoth said:
That said, from what I do know of the Bible, I see no reason to believe that Jesus was celibate.

Luke 20:34 So Jesus said to them, “The people of this age marry and are given in marriage. 20:35 But those who are regarded as worthy to share in that age and in the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage.

Marriage after the resurrection is against his belief so to say.

_xxx_ said:
Just the amount of interest for the book/movie tells me that we're still with one foot in the dark ages. I really don't get it, we're in the 21st century after all.
I actually agree, I just don't see why anyone cares about it.

It is very unoriginal, Dan Brown just copied stuff that was already done and happened to be in the right place at the right time...

Sxotty said:
I actually agree, I just don't see why anyone cares about it.

It is very unoriginal, Dan Brown just copied stuff that was already done and happened to be in the right place at the right time...

perhaps that's the point, the big mistery of it all: "being in the right place at the right time with the right idea".

Saw it last weekend, generally liked it. Tho it does have three endings, about 10-15 mins apart. . .

Tho I was amused by the lawsuit over it. An old acquaintence wrote an sf book clearly based on the same material in the early 90s, and he didn't get sued. Tho he also didn't make nearly this amount of money off it. ;)

Back