Current anti-MS in gaming *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xbox has slipped, and there is a lot of general negativity around Microsoft, but Xbox is probably one of the areas where their reputation is strongest. Microsoft's reputation from other products creeps into the overall perception of the entire company. Some people hate Win95/ME, Vista, Windows 8, clippy, Windows Phone, bundled IE etc etc etc, so they'll speak negatively about Xbox by extension. Microsoft is "evil" yadda yadda yadda. Overall though, I think Xbox was viewed very positively during the 360 because it was a good product. Now they've slipped because of Xbox One, which is of their own doing, so some more of that negativity has crept back in.

Xbox has slipped, and there is a lot of general negativity around Microsoft, but Xbox is probably one of the areas where their reputation is strongest. Microsoft's reputation from other products creeps into the overall perception of the entire company. Some people hate Win95/ME, Vista, Windows 8, clippy, Windows Phone, bundled IE etc etc etc, so they'll speak negatively about Xbox by extension. Microsoft is "evil" yadda yadda yadda. Overall though, I think Xbox was viewed very positively during the 360 because it was a good product. Now they've slipped because of Xbox One, which is of their own doing, so some more of that negativity has crept back in.
My issue is when people call legitimate criticism bias, it's not bias to say an underpowered more expensive machine was misguided. It's a valid opinion based on one's values. Both Sony with PS3 and MS with og XB1 made these choices and consumers as well as the journalist pushed back. These days the offering is blurred due to bundles and price so it's more difficult to make direct comparison.

When I'm asked what should I buy, I ask about taste in games. Halo and Gears are very good exclusives and with the price and backwards compatibility along with bundled software a very good argument can be made for choosing xbox. Similarly the diversity of first party games isn't as strong presently on ps4 versus previous generation but power/visuals favor playstation for now...

My issue is when people call legitimate criticism bias, it's not bias to say an underpowered more expensive machine was misguided. It's a valid opinion based on one's values. Both Sony with PS3 and MS with og XB1 made these choices and consumers as well as the journalist pushed back.

But the point is that in the 4th year of this generation they're still pushing back against MS. Pushing aside the continued love affair journalists are having with all things Sony, I recently read a doozy of an article from Forbes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...icrosofts-scorpio-already-feels-outdated/amp/

In this article Microsoft was basically held responsible for 80% of the game studio closings in the last gen. And in the same article it was suggested the arrival of Scorpio could signal the end of the console gaming industry. I didn't know if the author of the article was being a troll or trying to make a real point.

It should prove interesting to watch and see if gaming journalists will actually give the new console a fair chance or if they continue assailing Microsoft for what happened in 2013. So far it doesn't seem like many of them are willing to put the torches and pitchforks away yet.

Microsoft's actions continue to fall short of their rhetoric. No one is still litigating 2013, Xbox in 2017 continues to fall short of the competition and Microsoft is solely responsible for that. Xbox has a significant software library disadvantage. It has far less investment in first party development. Currently it still has a hardware disadvantage. It can't field a significant value advantage by undercutting the PS4 Slim sufficiently. People recognize that and they should. That's not a troubling trend, that's just how free markets are supposed to work.

This is quite a stupid statement. Sony would be as much to blame for this. The link provided even says as much. Not to mention, is that even a reasonable argument? Yes, there are less and less studios capable of handling the budgets required to make large scale AAA games that get more expensive and complicated on a yearly basis. So what?

Don’t forget that it was Microsoft’s blockbuster AAA approach on the 360 that resulted in the loss of 80% of the game developers we had in the West.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...icrosofts-scorpio-already-feels-outdated/amp/

Just to double up on Scott's comment:

they talk about it right here: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/12/...to-sony-says-co-founder-a-ign-unfiltered?read
Rubin also emphasized just how strong the relationship between Sony and Naughty Dog has been over the years, and how this partnership has resulted in such amazing content from the studio. "Sony has been incredible to Naughty Dog, always giving them the assets that they need to compete," he said. "Most people don't realize but quite often a game is won because a game got more budget. It's bigger, badder, it's cooler because it got more budget."

I don't really buy into the "quite often a game is won because a game got more budget. It's bigger, badder, it's cooler because it got more budget.";
Microsoft has the most money of everyone in the business. Their games should be genre defining then

Only if MS spend the money on the games. When it comes to competing games in the same genre, certainly budget helps a lot to add polish and refinement. All things being equal, people will prefer the prettier game with the prettier presentation.

I don't really buy into the "quite often a game is won because a game got more budget. It's bigger, badder, it's cooler because it got more budget.";
Microsoft has the most money of everyone in the business. Their games should be genre defining then

I think you can reasonably infer that they mean all else being equal, budget leads to a better game. There may be very capable studios that just don't have the money to compete with GTA5, Horizon and Uncharted 4. We don't really know how to compare budgets of games, because usually those numbers aren't released.

I think you can reasonably infer that they mean all else being equal, budget leads to a better game. There may be very capable studios that just don't have the money to compete with GTA5, Horizon and Uncharted 4. We don't really know how to compare budgets of games, because usually those numbers aren't released.
Would you say MS underbudgeted (if that's a word) The 10 most recent Halo, Gears and Forza entries?

Also Assassins Creed and Call of Duties have enormous budgets, thousands of people working on them.

The statement isn't that you can buy success with money. You still need a good game. The statement is as I describe above, that going head to head with other similar games, having money behind the project is often the decider between a great product and not-so-great, rather than talent or individual flare.

How successful would COD and AC be if they had had half the budget? How successful would UC4 have been with half the budget? All the talent at ND, often lauded, would be severely hampered with a low budget to fund their work.

Also like to add, you're entirely missing the point of why he posted that quote.

The Forbes article suggested that big-budget Microsoft was responsible for the loss of 80% of the game developers in the West. It's quite a dumb statement, for many reasons. We know that developing AAA games for PS3 was just as expensive as Xbox 360. Both consoles targeted roughly the same performance and demanded the same jump in fidelity and content. We also know that Sony throws just as much money behind big titles as anyone else. iroboto was just highlighting the fact that Sony spends big money to get AAA games.

It's also dumb because they use developers to mean studios, vs actual total number of people employed in game development. It's also dumb because they link an article to support the claim, which says 80% of AAA studios were lost during the PS360 era, and it doesn't place blame on either Microsoft or Sony.

The Forbes article is a good example of some of the undeserved bad press Microsoft gets, seemingly because of their poor reputation, deserved or not.

Would you say MS underbudgeted (if that's a word) The 10 most recent Halo, Gears and Forza entries?

Also Assassins Creed and Call of Duties have enormous budgets, thousands of people working on them.
No such thing as an under budget, just over budget. Companies aim to stay on budget and on time, and when you make decisions to stay both on budget and on time you make compromises from your original vision. The more time and money you have the less compromises you have.

I mean, Did halo 5 ship with split screen local coop ?
Heck, did it have a fraction of the content it has now? Cause there's a lot more content for h5 over release. So much more that they've made free.

Didn't Destiny ship with a fraction of what they were supposed to ship with?

Last edited:
The statement isn't that you c
an buy success with money. You still need a good game. The statement is as I describe above, that going head to head with other similar games, having money behind the project is often the decider between a great product and not-so-great, rather than talent or individual flare.

How successful would COD and AC be if they had had half the budget? How successful would UC4 have been with half the budget? All the talent at ND, often lauded, would be severely hampered with a low budget to fund their work.
I'd like to add:
In an interview with MCV, Marketing Manager Joe Palmer revealed that Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End is “PlayStation’s largest ever software investment and we have a plan to support it for the whole year.”
Read more at http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...t-says-marketing-manager/#1sS6iSZU41ZMBhKY.99

Uncharted threw out 8 months worth of work. I want to be clear, this would bankrupt most studios and be the cause of cancellations for most projects if they ever attempted this. Most projects just try to move forward with what's built. Do-over's are very rare in this business.

"Yeah," North said, as you can see in a video posted on YouTube user' mrgeekmeout's channel. "I can't really say too much about that, but I will. We had shot eight months of her story, and it was all thrown away."

"The Last of Us guys came in, and you have to understand, new producers, new people, they want to do it," he said. "I don't know what happened, exactly. Amy is still a very, very dear friend of mine, and she's brilliant. But the Last of Us guys were the next team there, so they took over. They just wanted their own flavor. They got rid of some of the other people that were involved and just redid their thing. "
http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/29/88...-nolan-north-hennig-last-us-druckmann-straley

Last edited:
PlayStation fans need all those exclusives, best performing multi platform titles as well as VR to compensate for something... So I would say they are even more insecure :p

MS fans are more humble; they don't need the best system or the best games, they can do with the occasional Halo or Forza. Look at Phil Spencer, he is a pretty cool guy. Xbox fans resonate with him because he is just like them.

PlayStation takes gaming too seriously

Abandon is a big word, but yes, I primarily use PlayStation Pro now as that system is better suited for my current gaming needs and has VR. If Scorpio really is everything fans predict it will be and GT7:Sport again uses recorded vacuum cleaners to simulate engine sounds then I might just get a Scorpio and Forza7 as well. I have the Last Guardian now and PSVR so even if I get a Scorpio I would still have enjoyed PS4.

A lot of people dissing Microsoft still, I can see why now, but as I have been on both sides of the fence, there now is a distinct PS3 era Sony hate, but this time directed towards MS.

Abandon is a big word, but yes, I primarily use PlayStation Pro now as that system is better suited for my current gaming needs and has VR. If Scorpio really is everything fans predict it will be and GT7:Sport again uses recorded vacuum cleaners to simulate engine sounds then I might just get a Scorpio and Forza7 as well. I have the Last Guardian now and PSVR so even if I get a Scorpio I would still have enjoyed PS4.

A lot of people dissing Microsoft still, I can see why now, but as I have been on both sides of the fence, there now is a distinct PS3 era Sony hate, but this time directed towards MS.
Shifty's just messing with you, he's Uber troll for a reason.
You're in a safe zone to buy whatever products you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back