Crysis 2 PC edition OT

The game only uses realtime reflections for wet surfaces and the ocean. We were supposed to get proper glossy reflections as a byproduct of their GI method but they don't seem to be activated in the game :/
There was a option for glossy reflections in config, but I havent tried it yet.
e_GIGlossyReflections

The reflections are accurate in the Times Square level. I recommend you check it again.
They were messed up there just like everywhere else when I played through the level, and seeing as how there hasn't been a patch since then I highly doubt anything has changed.

The proper glossy reflections I'm talking about (1:37)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D9oINHI11E
That's nice, but it's a tech demo, while I've yet to see anything of the sort in the game. Have you even played the game?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a fix for flickering Crossfire/SLI yet?
Better question: why's there even a NEED for a fix in the first place? This game's been coming up on the radar with a profile basically like no other game before it and on release day it flickers my eyes to pieces, what the hell? Whomever allowed that to happen needs to be fucking fired.

Anyway, I've decided I don't like this game, only having played roughly 3 seconds of it. Yeah, I don't count the brief passage through the sinking sub, as there's no choice involved there in what to do. The whole intro was just a giant WTF sensation. Why is the nanoguy killing humans in NY in the intro movie, what the hell's up with that...? It wasn't like HL2, where you're thrown into the aftermath head-first with no clue of what's going on, it is like the original game never happened in the first place. The island, Nomad, THE ALIENS? HELLOOO???!

And there's a silent protagonist again, WHAT THE FUCK! That was STUPID back in the 90s, and it's STUPIDER now. Seriously. If you were in a war and met someone who didn't talk back to you, you'd think he was a spy for the enemy and shoot him in the head on the spot.

And then there's the flickering...

I tried to ignore it for roughly 7 seconds and decided it was impossible, quit the game, downloaded and updated drivers, downloaded and installed fucking profiles (which never showed up in the CCC for whatever annoying reason) just in case it would do something good (since Crysis 2 is specifically mentioned on the download page), restarted the game and raged about being forced to watch 3 useless videos that can't be interrupted (useless EA commercial, even uselesser Cryengine commercial, totally completely useless nvidia commercial since I don't have nvidia boards in my PC and never intend to get any) before the idiotic panning menu screen appears, restarting the campaign and noticing it didn't restart from the point I left off (it started all over again) and that the flickering was still there. Ragequit and uninstalled the piece of shit off my PC entirely.

Maximum fail! Maximum waste of money.

If I saw Cervat Yerli walking down the street, I'd plant my boot up his dumb smug ass.

Oh, and you STILL can't use the same buttons for vehicle boost and handbrake as anything else used for anything else (like sprint, crouch, whatever.) WHYYYY....?
Rant posted as compensation to Squilliam

Just beat the game, good fun all the way through. Near the end I found a great spot to show off the broken reflections which have been very disorientating all throughout the game:

Sure that has to be a mistake in the game code?

It is a quality / performance trade off. Can we move past this already?

If you can explain how having the reflections follow the player around the map benefits performance in Crysis 2 as opposed to the simple static reflections that many other games use, I'd be happy to move past it. However, absent that, I'm left with the impression that it's a bug, and you're FoS in defending it.

If you can explain how having the reflections follow the player around the map benefits performance in Crysis 2 as opposed to the simple static reflections that many other games use, I'd be happy to move past it. However, absent that, I'm left with the impression that it's a bug, and you're FoS in defending it.

You don't understand the nature of cubemap reflections apparently.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_mapping#Cube_mapping
They always seem to follow you within their region because - being static - they have been rendered from one single point of view and will only look good from that certain point. You can't move relatively to the cubemap, it's always treated as infinitely big and you're always in the center of it.

Other games hide this problem by blurring the cubemap so that you only see some splotches instead of buildings and such. But the static cubemaps always work the same way.

The performance benefit is that you don't have to render those maps at all, they're calculated during level editing (it probably takes a few seconds max to render them), so they're basically free. If the game had to update them it'd have a lot of extra vertex and fragment shader cost, and some CPU time too.

Racing games pay this performance penalty because the cars are the main attraction from any external view and it's worth to make them look pretty. Crysis 2 doesn't pay it because they don't consider reflective ground surfaces to be the stars of the game.

Just beat the game, good fun all the way through. Near the end I found a great spot to show off the broken reflections which have been very disorientating all throughout the game:

Sure that has to be a mistake in the game code?

Yeah!

Full real time GI!

Now that we've had confirmation from Crytek that console settings are pretty much equivilent to the lowest PC setting, I'd be quite interested in a performance review at that setting, 4xAF (Xbox setting) and an equivilent sub-HD resolution.

i.e. It'd be very interesting to see what kind of GPU you need to average 30 fps. Would be very telling about the engines efficiency on the PC in comparison to consoles.

Create a file named autoexec.cfg (extension has to be cfg). Put all the commands in there.

Also config tool released. Allows for easy custom settings modification, use of MSAA, disable/enable edge AA and more.

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=33008

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/4553/appbeta2.png

Just what I needed! Performance of the 360 version is worse than I had hoped, so going PC but want to tweak things like in the original.

Any comparisons of demo to retail performance?

Some info and interesting bits regarding PC version with comparision pictures to illustrate effects/differences. Shows rendering tech in Crysis 2 with perfomance nunmbers and more.

http://crytek.com/sites/default/files/c2_ce3_key_rendering_features_final_2.pdf

Seems to have been taken down..

You don't understand the nature of cubemap reflections apparently.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_mapping#Cube_mapping
They always seem to follow you within their region because - being static - they have been rendered from one single point of view and will only look good from that certain point. You can't move relatively to the cubemap, it's always treated as infinitely big and you're always in the center of it.
I do understand that, but I also understand developers can have the game transition between cubemaps so they never look too out of place rather than having them follow you around to the absurd extent which they do in Crysis 2.

Transitioning happens at the borders of each cubemap's region. A constant blending would look even more out of place.

And as long as you keep saying that "cubemaps follow you" I can't really believe you understand how it works ;)

mycrysis.com is blowing up. I can't redeem my limited edition code and the password I use to log in to the game is different from the one I use at mycrysis.com.

Colour me confused.

Back