Crysis 2 PC edition OT

Most D3D11 paths run on 10.1 and 10 cards (a very useful aspect to D3D11) but the effects don't necessarily have fallback versions. I ran AVP3 D3D11 on my 8800GTX and 3870 for example but it might as well have been D3D9 mode.

Maybe there will be some effects available with C2 and 10/10.1? There's no denying that D3D10 and 10.1 were wasted and 11 might be too if a new version and cards arrive before the next consoles do.

Well maybe you should re-read the change-log then :) The DX9 version get's the Higher-res Texture pack plus Added Contact Shadows, Added Realtime Local Reflections.

DX11 gets on top of the 3 other DX9 features:
• - Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
• - High Quality HDR Motion Blur
• - Realistic Shadows with Variable Penumbra
• - Sprite Based Bokeh Depth of Field
• - Parallax Occlusion Mapping
• - Particles Motion Blur, Shadows and Art Updates
• - Water Rendering improvements and using Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
DX9 gets improved tone mapping as well.

Just got a sandybridge, but to get a DX11 GPU or not..... this will probably be my last serious PC upgrade before the next console generation but not sure if it's worth it..... advice??

It's funny how most gamers out there have dx10 hardware but they just pretend like we don't exist.

It's funny how most gamers out there have dx10 hardware but they just pretend like we don't exist.

Yep, and my PC even has DX10.1(omg awesome!:p)
I get that DX11 is newer and hotter, but come on, the official minimum requirements are even DX10 cards

Tbh though, I'm more interested in the potential performance boosts I've read that DX11 can give, I got a feeling my(well, bro's:cry:) HD5770 will get obliterated if I enable tessellation and the other goodies

Can anyone explain just explain something to me? I've read about DX11 is a superset of DX10.1 and the benefit of it is that coding a game in DX11 includes a DX10 path by default(and even get some small benefits like the multithreading aspect)
Yet, Dirt 2 is one game I was locked to DX9 in, and I've read about Lost Planet 2 locking DX10 hw to DX9 as well
We also haven't heard anything about Crysis 2 DX10
Why don't those 2 games have DX10?
Civ5 and Unigine heaven let me use DX10.1 by starting in DX11 though...Shogun 2 also got DX10 and 10.1 provided in the DX11 patch

off topic

Just got a sandybridge, but to get a DX11 GPU or not..... this will probably be my last serious PC upgrade before the next console generation but not sure if it's worth it..... advice??

Personally I'd hold off until BF3 comes out, then buy a new card based on the benchmarks for that game. Probably only relevant advice if you also plan on spending a lot of time playing MP BF3 over the next couple of years.

back on

I think Crytek were just backtracking to save face with all the "oh, we should've targeted higher end PCs". There are reasons this 'high end' stuff is not out yet (and probably will never be close to what could've been achieved if the focus were different): deadlines and priorities. If high end PC gamers were more of a priority than console gamers it wouldn't have been good business sense. There's not a lot of point in them being dishonest about it.

I'm guessing that if Nvidia is going on and on about DX11 for my card (GTX465), then it's a proper DX11 card? How do you tell otherwise?

Yeah, I've been running some of the tessellation demos they've released, and they definitely work.

My computer's actually pretty old, the video card is by far the newest and most powerful component (my old one died). It'll be a decent machine once I upgrade the rest of it to at least that level.

For the things dx11 gives you i'd say no (maybe things will be different in the future)
For the added performance, depends what you have now what you will buy and how that would compare to what you have and to adding another dx10 card and going sli/crossfire

I've got a 4890 1GB at the moment and wouldn't spend more than about £180 which I think puts me in 560Ti / 6870 territory. I've not been that in touch with new GPU releases for a while but I'd expect a modest performance boost but nothing spectacular. My main reason for upgrading would be for games like Crysis 2 that have the extra effects. That said, the only DX11 game I have right now is Lost Planet 2 and the only 2 I see myself getting in the near future are Crysis 2 and BF3.

A fair statement I guess. I'm sure we would all rather play DX11 than benchmark it. That said, it would be highly advisable to get this out there as given that C2 will likely be the most advanced and possibly one of the most demanding DX11 games available on the PC once the patch is released, a benchmark tool will stir up a lot of interest on forums and ensure its gets plenty of use by review sites.

Some of the new effects they're implementing look great. It's just amazing they didn't implement them into the final version of the game. It's as if the version we got was PC v0.8 which took us up to console level fidelity and they are only now finishing the PC version off.

I guess it would have been even worse if they had released the console versions 3 months before the PC version though.

I guess it would have been even worse if they had released the console versions 3 months before the PC version though.

I'm not sure that it would, to be honest. In the mind of many a PC gamer might be: "My PC is capable of far more than the consoles, therefore it takes longer to make the game for the PC. This is a different game, and doesn't need the same release date".

I think it could almost be a point of pride; of course depending on how Crytek PR handled it. I think 3 months is a little steep just for graphical effects though. I would have expected larger maps too perhaps.

I've got a 4890 1GB at the moment and wouldn't spend more than about £180 which I think puts me in 560Ti / 6870 territory. I've not been that in touch with new GPU releases for a while but I'd expect a modest performance boost but nothing spectacular. My main reason for upgrading would be for games like Crysis 2 that have the extra effects. That said, the only DX11 game I have right now is Lost Planet 2 and the only 2 I see myself getting in the near future are Crysis 2 and BF3.

Wow you are in EXACTLY my situation...4890, wanting a DX11 card for this Crysis update and BF3, ended up getting a 6870 for $170 after rebate...arrives Wednesday.

I have a Q6600 so I may be CPU limited, I overclocked it a touch to 2.8 without a hitch though in prep for this new card. I have a G0 stepping so supposedly it can go much higher, but I prefer to be extremely safe with ocing.

Looking at the new features, it looks like the SSDO's secondary bouncing (colour bleeding) will be a kind of substitute for the lack of real GI in the closed environment lighting, or there will be extension of the GI to all the light sources?

Nahh, because now the vast majority of their target audience has played the game through and uninstalled it. There was so much hype around the release, that most PC players who got the game would have played it and be done with it. So Crytek are doing all this DX11 work, and the majority of their customers who already own the game won't see it. It's not like it's much of a game to play through again.

It's almost like Crytek were too ashamed to show off what the PC could do above and beyond the consoles, so they pandered to MS and Sony by holding back the ultimate graphical version of the game. They talked up how much alike the PC and console versions were, but did it by hamstringing the PC version until months later when no one is going to see it. They didn't bring the console versions up to the lofty heights of the full on PC incarnation, though that was the impression they liked to give.

Back