Crysis 2 PC edition OT

FWIW I didn't boycott either EA or Crytek - I bought this crappy game! While I'm hopeful that the DX11 patch and textures will make my buyer's remorse less severe, the likelihood that it will run like crap on AMD (as the current version already runs like crap on AMD) doesn't give me too much optimism.

What? It runs perfectly fine on my 5870 iwth everything maxed out.

I haven't played it since the .13 drivers and it was a bit hitchy with crossfire

Oh yeah, CrossFire support was totally busted at first (I think that it may have been fixed now, SLI wasn't correctly working either IIRC). Single card support is perfectly fine though.

Yeah and it only took them 3 months to release it. >_>
Maybe they literally started first work on it 3 months ago? They are working in mysterious ways over there at Crytek these days. No more bleeding edge apparently.

But yeah I do wonder if the untold amounts of bitching about Crysis running like shit on 7900GTs was part of the reason for this move, along with of course the money making prospects of console land.

What agreement? Lots of Steam games are available on D2D as well. All I've heard so far is something about Valve wanting exclusive rights for digital distribution of Crysis 2.

Where did you read that? If that turns out to be true (would the public ever actually find out the actual reason?) then that won't exactly endear themselves to their loyal users. That is something we would expect from EA, not Valve. Pulling Crysis 2 is a hissy-fit because they didn't get exclusive? :devilish:

I think their direction was more to make it feasible to run it on PS360. Good luck doing that with those giant open ultra detailed Crysis & Warhead maps/graphics. But hey I can't blame them for wanting to make more money.

Actually the most disappointing aspect to C2 to me is that it's more of a corridor shooter. Graphics aren't that big of a deal to me. But we have corridor shooters in droves already thanks.

I think we have to consider that making a great game is now secondary to maximising profit. All the big devs have gone down that route, and it's nearly always the case that the quality of the final game suffers for it.

Maybe they literally started first work on it 3 months ago? They are working in mysterious ways over there at Crytek these days. No more bleeding edge apparently.

It looks more like they just resized the source art to a higher resolution container than what was used for the retail release. I find it highly unlikely that they redrew all the art such that they're effectively identical aside from resolution.

Obviously, the parallax occlusion mapping and other engine features would be new, but those are different from just scaling source art. Maybe they wanted things to fit on one DVD, but it shouldn't take 3 months to do resizing and release the higher resolution assets.

Haha, great to hear them admit that. Its not so much the catering to low end gamers that's the issue though. That was a good thing. It was the lack of catering to high end gamers. A little more man power incorporating the latest DX11 features and high resolution textures into the launch release of the game, even if that had delayed the release on all platforms would have gone a very long way in the eyes of PC gamers. That and allowing us to control the graphics options ourselves.

Haha, great to hear them admit that. Its not so much the catering to low end gamers that's the issue though. That was a good thing. It was the lack of catering to high end gamers. A little more man power incorporating the latest DX11 features and high resolution textures into the launch release of the game, even if that had delayed the release on all platforms would have gone a very long way in the eyes of PC gamers. That and allowing us to control the graphics options ourselves.

Exactly. They should have got DX11/highres pack out the door with the rest of the game, because quite frankly at this point, almost no one is going to care about it three months after release. Then you would have had high end gamers catered to with better graphics, even allowing for the simplified and console-friendly game design choices.

Exactly. They should have got DX11/highres pack out the door with the rest of the game, because quite frankly at this point, almost no one is going to care about it three months after release. Then you would have had high end gamers catered to with better graphics, even allowing for the simplified and console-friendly game design choices.

One of the best things they can do now is release Sandbox 3, which like DX11 and better graphics, should've been out when the game released. That in turn might convince more PC gamers to jump back into the Crysis franchise, actually buy Crysis 2 and make some good stuff, much like how Crysis benefited from Sandbox 2.

The texture comparisons are nice, but that's just the texture pack.. I'm more interested in the shader and effects changes from the DX11 update myself.

No graphical updates can change the fact that the game does not have the kind of replayability Crysis 1 had.

and the fact that I will still have the same game after the patch as I have a DX10.1 card. What about us? The bloody game is Dx9 only :rolleyes: !

It looks good, but not what CRYSIS 2 should have been ! I wonder how much the patch can change about that. Can they rival BF3 with it? Will it go beyond ?

Tesselation is all I hear about DX11 !

No graphical updates can change the fact that the game does not have the kind of replayability Crysis 1 had.

and the fact that I will still have the same game after the patch as I have a DX10.1 card. What about us? The bloody game is Dx9 only :rolleyes: !

It looks good, but not what CRYSIS 2 should have been ! I wonder how much the patch can change about that. Can they rival BF3 with it? Will it go beyond ?

Tesselation is all I hear about DX11 !

Well maybe you should re-read the change-log then :) The DX9 version get's the Higher-res Texture pack plus Added Contact Shadows, Added Realtime Local Reflections.

DX11 gets on top of the 3 other DX9 features:
• - Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
• - High Quality HDR Motion Blur
• - Realistic Shadows with Variable Penumbra
• - Sprite Based Bokeh Depth of Field
• - Parallax Occlusion Mapping
• - Particles Motion Blur, Shadows and Art Updates
• - Water Rendering improvements and using Tessellation + Displacement Mapping

Back