CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

Yeah, crypto is not as regulated as "classic" markets. But powerful people do it anyway. It's not just as obvious most of the time. After a big dip he announced helping Doge dev team (which is new, project was dead for a long time), so it's going up again... oh well...

After the dip after he says doge was just a husle, he also post a pol on Twitter whether tesla should accept doge as car purchase payment.

Basically it seems he deliberately increase and decrease the price of coins

Yep. He was seen by some as a savior, now he's a jail guard... I wish he would stay out of crypto but... Having say that, I'm out of the doge stuff, so...

Pretty crazy how you can manipulate the market without consequence if you are rich and famous. American people should grow some balls and put their oligarchs in their place.

You want free market non-centralized currency? Then suck it up, you get constant market manipulation by those that have the means and want to do it. Nothing you or anyone else can do about it. Since it is decentralized with no one body being able to regulate it, then there is no way to regulate how someone wants to use it or how they choose to manipulate it. This has been happening ever since Bitcoin was introduced and there's no way to stop it other than regulating it and centralizing it.

Want to put some restrictions on things like that? Centralized currency is your go to currency. No guarantee that every action will get regulated (the currency will stagnate and businesses will move to other currencies if you do).

Want centralized currency with lots of regulations? Prepare for hyperinflation to hit at some points as the currency fails to match currency from other markets due to restrictions that restrict how it is used and traded.

There's no perfect situation. Pick the one you are most comfortable with and go with it. Unregulated and easily manipulated? Partially regulated but still open to some minor manipulations? Fully regulated but unable to keep up with foreign currencies?

Regards,
SB

This has been happening ever since Bitcoin was introduced and there's no way to stop it other than regulating it and centralizing it.
I disagree. Sure, there's no external way, but a market way. Theoretically, it just has to become big enough, so that no one can wield enough percentage in either buying/selling or hashing volume to make a noticeable impact. Right now, BTC is at roughly 750 billion Euro (just shy of 1 trillion US-$), which for the wealthies people in charge of the wealthiest companies is not too far out of reach. For reference, even though it seems like a large sum, it's roughly 10 % of what tiny germany's citiziens have in the bank, let alone the US, Japan, and probably China.

I could announce whatever I want, buy or sell with all my resources, it wouldn't make a difference.

Look at Dogecoin, even though it started out as a hoax. It's much smaller volume and thus subject to the same kind of manipulations. But its rate is varying by as much as 45% over the last couple of days, where as BTC is much less impacted.

I disagree. Sure, there's no external way, but a market way. Theoretically, it just has to become big enough, so that no one can wield enough percentage in either buying/selling or hashing volume to make a noticeable impact.

Agreed but it's also about the users' education. So long as people with little knowledge are still buying crypto randomly to get rich and dream of instant profit, these coins will be far more susceptible to manipulation

Bitcoin is not useful as a currency and Lightning is as big a joke as Doge, just less recognized as one.

Bitcoin is for tax evasion, gambling and crime.

Like every things of value, it can be used as such yes... But not only.

Cryptocurrency CHIO can destroy an SSD in 40 days (guru3d.com)
Chia has the peculiarity that it is not mined using the power of the GPU but rather utilizing the storage device used, where obviously the faster the better performance is obtained. This has already caused a shortage of SSDs and hard drives in Asia, but now other symptoms of their use are beginning to be seen: the durability of SSDs is depleted in just weeks.
According to the Chinese site Fast Technology (via Hardware Times ), constantly growing Chia on a 512GB SSD, which typically lasts for five to ten years, can see it lifespan being reduced to just 40 days.

Drives with more storage space last longer, but wear and tear still significantly reduce their lifespan - a 1TB SSD lasts around 80 days, while growing Chia will kill a 2TB SSD in 160 days. Unfortunately, we don't know what NAND writing type is applied though, but assume TLC-based SSDs, as these are the norm.

Well, it's happening. Interesting to see if this helps gamers or not. Equally interesting to see how long it takes for the limiter to be hacked.

Today, we’re taking additional measures by applying a reduced ETH hash rate to newly manufactured GeForce RTX 3080, RTX 3070 and RTX 3060 Ti graphics cards. These cards will start shipping in late May.
Because these GPUs originally launched with a full hash rate, we want to ensure that customers know exactly what they’re getting when they buy GeForce products. To help with this, our GeForce partners are labeling the GeForce RTX 3080, RTX 3070 and RTX 3060 Ti cards with a “Lite Hash Rate,” or “LHR,” identifier. The identifier will be in retail product listings and on the box.

This reduced hash rate only applies to newly manufactured cards with the LHR identifier and not to cards already purchased.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2021/05/18/lhr/

I doubt there are any significant number of consumers that care about the 3090 from a gamer perspective.

True. I should have bought it when it was first released. Would be really helpful for various machine learning stuff I'm doing.

My gtx 1660 super puny 6GB VRAM is very limiting and it's quite slow

Antivirus firm Norton to offer cryptocurrency mining | Cryptocurrencies | The Guardian
June 3, 2021
Millions of people will soon be able to mine cryptocurrencies without installing any extra programs after the antivirus company Norton announced plans to add the feature to its LifeLock security software.
The company says the new feature, Norton Crypto, is intended to allow users to put their computers to work mining cryptocurrency – and eventually earning real money – without needing to risk using unvetted software.
Norton did not detail how it intends to monetise the feature, but screenshots of the software running suggest it will operate as a “pool”, with all users sharing in the rewards. As well as making the payouts more predictable, a pool approach would allow the company to charge a fee for membership. Competitors charge about 1% of earnings.

Back