CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by CarstenS, Jun 1, 2017.

1. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

To continue on with the story, with no surprises to anyone ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47454528

The wallets have been found to be empty.

The discovery was made by a firm appointed to oversee QuadrigaCX after the death of founder Gerald Cotten.

It expected to find the wallets full of C$180m ($137m; £105m) in crypto-cash deposited by the coin exchange's customers.

Its investigation has secured access to Mr Cotten's laptop but also revealed that the digital wallets had been cleaned out months before he died.

However, the company said, it found evidence that Mr Cotten had 14 other user accounts "created outside the normal process" that may have been used to trade on the QuadrigaCX exchange.

2. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

So it was a bitcoin ponzi scheme? A ponzi inside a pyramid? As we all know the pyramid is inside the God of Wasted Energy.

digitalwanderer, Lightman and Putas like this.
  3. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

So is bitcoin mining with GPUs now passe or are new products still fit for use?

digitalwanderer likes this.
  4. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

slowly recovering . Probably @ around 50% of the peak capacity of mid 2018

(I asume youd don't literaly mean mining Bitcoin with gpus, which is no longer a thing since 5 years or more)

(and btw, Radeon VII with its great bandwith is two times as good in mining ethereum as a Vega 64 -80+ mhs. But probably not worth it with all the second hand inventory for the cheap available )

5. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

I did mean Crypto Mining with GPUs. I was under the (mistaken) impression that the GPU market was still impacted as recently as 15-18 months ago from Crypto-consumers. It could just as easily have been longer since the PC GPU market was impacted as I haven't been tracking the timeline with Sam and Ziggy.

6. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Appreciate the info, thought it was a good question and good answer. I wondered if bitcoin mining was still a thing at all let alone with GPUs. I figure they're using dedicated stuff by now, or are they using a ton of older hardware?

7. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

The issue with the dedicated stuff (ASICs) is that is harder to justify going through design - manufacturing - marketing cycles as there's likely less turnover for the Bitmains of this world. At most, if they have chips in the pipeline they'd use it to mine themselves. They had released newer Bitcoin & Litecoin ASICs lately thogh. Prolly not in massive volumes. The Ethereum ASIC that Bitmain made (the E3, iirc ) was discontinued. They gave that up and apparently there were reliability issues with the units they sold as well.

I presume old hardware GPUs and ASICs can be had for very little now. As the overall mining capacity is down by a lot (50% of 2018, or even more) , clearly no one is using a ton of miners anymore. I think the miners that are still active simply have very cheap or free electricity .
    Anectodatlly, I've sold one of my rigs to a person which had excess solar power. With the laws in my country, it's very hard to sell that power directly . So mining with it is a good solution

Alexko, BRiT and digitalwanderer like this.
  8. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Thanks Entity279, appreciate the update on the state of the scene. :)

entity279 likes this.
  9. green.pixel

Veteran

But it is, only this time positively for the gamer on a budget, since there is a glut of cards on the used market.

Btw, who are Sam and Ziggy? From Quantum Leap series?

10. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

Yes, from Quantum Leap. :grin: