CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by CarstenS, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Rufus

Newcomer

2. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Noob question : I have ETH in metamask chrome extensions wallet. How do I buy BTC?

3. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

• Create an account with an exchange like Bittrex or Poloniex.
    • Create an Ethereum wallet on the exchange to hold the Ethereum you want to trade.
    • Send the Ethereum from the Metamask wallet to your exchange wallet (this will take several minutes and there is a fee).
    • Once the Ethereum is in your exchange wallet, go to the ETH/BTC trading section of the exchange and set a BTC price for your ETH.
    • Once someone agrees to your price, the BTC will show up in your exchange BTC wallet.
    If your goal is to mine ETH to sell for BTC, you may want to mine directly into your exchange wallet. Every time you move coins between wallets, you have to pay a fee to facilitate the transaction. You don't want to waste ETH (and time!) just shuffling funds around.

orangpelupa likes this.
  4. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

5. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

#225 mrcorbo, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    BRiT likes this.
  6. sir doris

Regular

I converted 0.5ETH to BTC via shape shift last week, it worked fine using my MyEtherWallet to my blockchain.info wallet. Value of the BTC was very close to the coingecko rate at the time.

mrcorbo likes this.
  7. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

Lightman likes this.
  8. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

It's not appealing. ETH mining is nearly dead after august 25 (big jump in difficulty), and still, you can have 24mh/s for 80w with a 1060, and a little more with a 580. 30-35mh/s for more than 180-200w is a bad choice...

9. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Really depends on what happens to ETH pricing after the 25th. If it increases enough then its still worth mining

BRiT likes this.
  10. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

You're right, but I doubt it will rise enough. It would have to be higher (and not by a small amount) than last may-june when the big rush of miners happened.

11. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Hitting 30 MH/s @95W with a 1070 is trivial. Unless AMD's new crypto driver pulls some additional pixie dust out of its cache (rymes with ass sorta), then Vega isn't going to have much of an impact.

12. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

Well, if I'm not mistaken, AMD's new crypto instruction is supposed to help with mining, but has yet to be used by existing software, right? I have no idea how much it could bring, but it might help.

I also wonder about underclocking—and undervolting!—the core while overclocking the memory.

13. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

It has an instruction to accelerate hash calculations. That part was never the bottleneck for ETH. So it shouldn't have an impact there. I don't know about other currencies. (Well, it would help bitcoin, but that's not viable either way.)

Alexko likes this.
  14. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

Thanks for clarifying that. It would be interesting to know precisely where it can help, and by how much. Presumably the instruction was added for a very real reason, but I suppose cryptocurrencies might not be it—after all, there are many other uses for cryptographic algorithms.

15. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

I think that's exactly it. I don't know the exact details about the instruction, but these things probably have a pretty small implementation impact, so why not?

16. Rufus

Newcomer

The new vega ops: https://github.com/RadeonOpenComput...CN_ISA_Manuals/Vega_Shader_ISA_28July2017.pdf
    Code:
    V_XAD_U32: D.u32 = (S0.u32 ^ S1.u32) + S2.u32
    V_SAT_PK_U8_I16: D.u32 = {16'b0, sat8(S.u[31:16]), sat8(S.u[15:0])}
    V_LSHL_ADD_U32: D.u = (S0.u << S1.u[4:0]) + S2.u
    V_ADD_LSHL_U32: D.u = (S0.u + S1.u) << S2.u[4:0]
    V_ADD3_U32: D.u = S0.u + S1.u + S2.u
    V_LSHL_OR_B32: D.u = (S0.u << S1.u[4:0]) | S2.u
    V_AND_OR_B32: D.u = (S0.u & S1.u) | S2.u
    V_OR3_B32: D.u = S0.u | S1.u | S2.u
    The ADD/SHIFT, SHIFT/ADD, and ADD3 will all be useful for address calculations.

Some compute-limited coins like SIA might make use of the AND/OR, OR3, and XOR/ADD, but they're weirdly limited. Nowhere near as flexible as CUDA's LOP3 which can calculate any 3-input logical op, even things like ((a & b | c) ^ a). Generally not expecting this to make much of a difference.

silent_guy, pharma and BRiT like this.
  17. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

So how exactly does GP100 get to these ridiculously high hash rates? Math throughout and bandwidth put it on par with GP102, which tit manage to somehow outperform by over 2x.

18. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

What do you mean? With 717GB/s it's got a good deal more bandwidth than the Titan Xp (548GB/s). I guess that doesn't quite explain the 2× difference, but maybe having four HBM2 channels is really helpful somehow.

19. iMacmatician

Regular

I haven't been following this thread closely, but there is a GP100 variant with 3 of 4 stacks enabled for 540 GB/s.

20. sir doris

Regular

Do you mind sharing how you get a 1070 to 30MH/s @95W? Both mine are running -50% power, +700MHz memory and hashing at 30+MH/s. Top card running @38 degrees, bottom card @ 63 degrees. Hardware Info is reporting average power consumption at about 115W and 110W respectively, however I assume that is the GPU power and the cards could well be pulling more. That's running on Win 10 and using Afterburner to change settings.