Crunch, Pop, Spray, Crack, Ooze, and NEXT-GEN!

Do the games actually change based on the setting? E.g., does Gears have less or no blood when set to a lower maturity rating?

not AFAIK

that's a better solution long term but I was referring to Shifty's "user account Parental settings" idea which is already implemented in 360. Unfortunately the games are not set up to be tied in with an auto "no gore" setting but I sure see how it would be possible to eventually do so since it is already tied to the OS.

I don't particularly need to see blood either.

But it might take details and effects from elsewhere to render blood in a next-gen manner -- the gushing as major arteries are severed; the flowing, pooling and puddling of blood, the splattering on those inflicting the damage, etc.

Caught something on CNN the other day about some school in Iraq being bombed and 5 girls being killed. There was a lot of blood and what appeared to be puddles on the sidewalk which overflowed and dripped down a curb.

It would take more than just showing splashes of red and having it disappear. You have to let it accumulate but then you have to leave corpses around, which prevents you from showing more live enemies.

If they did it as a simulation with interesting splatter trajectories like on Showtime's Dexter, it would be pretty demanding.

not AFAIK

that's a better solution long term but I was referring to Shifty's "user account Parental settings" idea which is already implemented in 360. Unfortunately the games are not set up to be tied in with an auto "no gore" setting but I sure see how it would be possible to eventually do so since it is already tied to the OS.

I think games would have to be designed with in mind. Thanks for the info. SHould I patent this idea so that Sony, Nintendo, and MS have to pay me before they use it? :LOL:

Honestly i think very little work for great PR and reward would come out of a solution like this.

Why is showing a semi-realistic effect of your actions (such as blood) more bad for children than showing that violence has no effect at all? Sticking a real person with a sword would cause blood in real life, would it not be better for games to actually show this?

Shows what I know :oops:

it's ok... there are a LOT of little touches/features that you notice about 360 that most people never are aware of until/unless they have the unit in their homes for an extended period.

Just yesterday I noticed some new stuff that I hadn't noticed before. I'm amazed at the way they simplify the entire process of utilizing the features in the user interface (although not perfect). They almost NEVER make you need to do unnecessary or repeated steps for anything. The system is always one step ahead and they thought through SO many little features. But ....they are one of the world's best software comapnies so i expect no less...

geez seriously off topic now... [/threadjack] :oops:

In my opinion, GOW and Ninja Theory are two different games. But in a way they are very similar.

Now, imagine GOW without blood and gore. It would really take away from the game.

Now, imagine GOW in high definition with MUCH better graphics without blood and gore. It would take away EVEN MORE from the game.

Now, imagine Heavenly Sword which is in HD and is graphically far above GOW. If it does not have blood and gore the game is going to be lacking. I still think the game will be "great" but simply not fantastic.

If I'm playing a high quality graphical game, swinging around huge swords, and trying to defeat those that killed my whole family I want to see some blood and gore.

This is NOT some type of feel good Zelda game with highly animated characters. This is a realistic game where a woman is on a mission to get VENGENCE for her families death.

If they did it as a simulation with interesting splatter trajectories like on Showtime's Dexter, it would be pretty demanding.

OMG Dexter pwns. But I dont thuink that anybody wants "perfectly" rendered blood splatters in HS. Or in any game IMO.

I don't particularly need to see blood either.

But it might take details and effects from elsewhere to render blood in a next-gen manner -- the gushing as major arteries are severed; the flowing, pooling and puddling of blood, the splattering on those inflicting the damage, etc.

Caught something on CNN the other day about some school in Iraq being bombed and 5 girls being killed. There was a lot of blood and what appeared to be puddles on the sidewalk which overflowed and dripped down a curb.

It would take more than just showing splashes of red and having it disappear. You have to let it accumulate but then you have to leave corpses around, which prevents you from showing more live enemies.

In my opinion, GOW and Ninja Theory are two different games. But in a way they are very similar.

Now, imagine GOW without blood and gore. It would really take away from the game.

Now, imagine GOW in high definition with MUCH better graphics without blood and gore. It would take away EVEN MORE from the game.

Now, imagine Heavenly Sword which is in HD and is graphically far above GOW. If it does not have blood and gore the game is going to be lacking. I still think the game will be "great" but simply not fantastic.

If I'm playing a high quality graphical game, swinging around huge swords, and trying to defeat those that killed my whole family I want to see some blood and gore.

This is NOT some type of feel good Zelda game with highly animated characters. This is a realistic game where a woman is on a mission to get VENGENCE for her families death.

babcat what do you think of wco's post? I kind of agree with him. I would rather loose blood than loose some other feature... I mean what if they restrict the game to like three enemies on screen because it takes too much resources to display blood and guts (i an assuming entrails are actual polygon meshes not sprites/textures)? Would you be happy then? Would the game be fantastic or only great?

The music is just a bunch of existing songs that people already know.

I actually hated the GTA games, except for the radios which were a huge win in my book. Not just the music, but the actual programming was excellent. Extremely funny and well done.

OT: I think some games really do need gore, but the option to disable it should always be there as well. HS on the other hand has very stylized violence kinda like hidden dragon, hidden tiger and does not need blood IMO much less gore.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG Dexter pwns. But I dont thuink that anybody wants "perfectly" rendered blood splatters in HS. Or in any game IMO.

As Monty Python has so clearly demonstrated, "perfect renditions" take the fun out of it.

images

babcat what do you think of wco's post? I kind of agree with him. I would rather loose blood than loose some other feature... I mean what if they restrict the game to like three enemies on screen because it takes too much resources to display blood and guts (i an assuming entrails are actual polygon meshes not sprites/textures)? Would you be happy then? Would the game be fantastic or only great?

I seriously doubt that moderately detailed blood and guts would take too many resources.

Claiming that having such gore would reduce the game to only a few enemies on the screen at once is pretty silly.

I don't see why games need this. God of War & Gears of war is about as far as it really needs to go. Some of the stuff you are talking about isn't all that realistic at all, and for the stuff that is... sounds too graphic to be accepted in gaming. Atleast with a Mature rating, AO yes. But how many AO games can you name that were widely accepted? (not counting GTA:SA redux) Hell, movies don't even go as far as what you are talking about. Even in the most horrific thriller movies.

Please keep this type of gore out of heavenly sword please (and most of the games I want to play). Reading this thread is pretty disturbing. And I'm all for blood in games, but wanting this type of stuff is just weird.

Badboy,

Movies have a LOT more realistic violence than games. Have you watched the Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

I think God of War is great because it at least semi-realistically depicts (probably about as much as the PS2 can) violence. I hope God of War 3 depicts it even more realistically.

I hope Heavenly Sword does indeed have gore and violence. I at least want to see blood pouring out when she slices someone with her sword, the ability to cut off body parts, and of course impalement.

Badboy,

Movies have a LOT more realistic violence than games. Have you watched the Texas Chainsaw Massacre?
Yes I have, and most of the stuff in this movie and other movies alike, the really gory parts are hidden by camera angles, camera focus, and camera direction. Hostel for example, lots of gore, but most of it, you don't actually see. It's basically a mind thing since you know it happened, you just don't actually see most of it. I'm not saying there are not parts you don't see, but most of it is contained.

Of course movies will have the more realistic scenes. They are real people portrayed in the horror film. But when you start applying the same rules to fictional games with mythical stories to be told, it really seems unneeded to go that far.

I think God of War is great because it at least semi-realistically depicts (probably about as much as the PS2 can) violence. I hope God of War 3 depicts it even more realistically.
I hope GOW3 is no more gory than in the previous games. Most of GOW is just blood sprays, and torso's ripped apart, no real meat/bones/organs and such. Atleast not on a truly realistic level.

I hope Heavenly Sword does indeed have gore and violence. I at least want to see blood pouring out when she slices someone with her sword, the ability to cut off body parts, and of course impalement.
I hope it doesn't. When you start getting that much descriptive in the violence, you start to lose focus of the art direction in the game. Heavenly Sword is a beautiful game, where the beauty mainly comes from art design and animation. No need to fill that up with unneeded gore.

In game concepts like Redwood Falls, the graphic scenes might be more accepted because the regeneration seems to be apart of the core gameplay. I have a feeling that even then, they will hold the gore back.

I gotta ask though, In the SNES/Genesis days...were you one of the guys who chose Mortal Kombat over street fighter? Or maybe it was too much kill bill? :LOL:

I purchased Mortal Kombat.

I think Heavenly Sword could be very beautiful with the blood and gore.

I think it fits in perfectly!

Back