Critical PS3 internal clock error and its aftermath

It is said that the bug is in the clock hardware, but they may need software to workaround it.

I have a feeling they will need a firmware solution

if you remember the zune bug required you to wait for the battery to lose all power, assuming it's a similar issue you can't do that with a CMOS battery (well....you could...but....)

I am desperately trying to remember if I have turned of my PS3 before midnight...

As my Heavy Rain copy has not yet arrived, will leave it off...

Thanks for this thread and the good title :) .

I had my PS3 on yesterday watching a DVD, but wasn't. Does that mean it's been mullered? I can't really switch it on to see, going by advice!

Did your PS3 clock go back to 1999/2000 ?

[size=-2]I kinda doubt the problem will go away automagically at GMT 0:00 once the clock goes bonkers. Even though we swtich off the PS3, the clock is still running.[/size]

I plan on not switching on my PS3 until they have a fix announced. I usually keep it switched right off (PSU switch) instead of leaving it in standby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some more fallout of the Sony website redesign:

http://us.playstation.com/news/consumeralerts/

Notice to PlayStation®Network Users

We have found out that there has been a possibility of unauthorized access to personal information on the PlayStation®Store through PCs, a content download service of the PlayStation®Network.

Presumably this is an old notice (I think the alert is from 2008) but since they neglected to include any sort of timestamp for their CMS content I have already seen this linked to in threads about the current clock meltdown.

Cheers

I played Heavy Rain yesterday (Feb 28th) on my 60GB EU launch PS3 until 5 PM GMT.
Didn't notice anything unusual, even got a couple of trophies. I think I even manually synced the trophy data and checked my PSN gamer card, and got no error message.
At what time actually the bug affected PS3s? Was it when the day chanegd from Feb. 28th to March 1st, or any time the 28th?

Some more fallout of the Sony website redesign:

http://us.playstation.com/news/consumeralerts/

Presumably this is an old notice (I think the alert is from 2008) but since they neglected to include any sort of timestamp for their CMS content I have already seen this linked to in threads about the current clock meltdown.

I think that's from the last playstation.com revamp. I heard Sony did another update last Sunday since playstation.com looks different now. Haven't heard any problem on that front yet.

May be due to reverse proxy caching (i.e., if the profile URL has nothing to differentiate each user). The problem was not uncommon in the dotcom days.

I played Heavy Rain yesterday (Feb 28th) on my 60GB EU launch PS3 until 5 PM GMT.
Didn't notice anything unusual, even got a couple of trophies. I think I even manually synced the trophy data and checked my PSN gamer card, and got no error message.
At what time actually the bug affected PS3s? Was it when the day chanegd from Feb. 28th to March 1st, or any time the 28th?

Allegedly, it happened @ GMT 0:00 March 1.

I use my PS3 everyday (almost)
1/1/2000 can´t login to Playstation Store..

I set the clock manually to 1/3/2010

Still no go

Two days in a row without PSN access... thought it was a little strange. What it tells me is that even one day off the forum is too many! ;)

Guess I just have to wait for whatever fix. Luckily I've been too busy for much gaming anyway, but I mean... quite embarrassing for Sony here, no doubt.

Two days in a row without PSN access... thought it was a little strange. What it tells me is that even one day off the forum is too many! ;)

Guess I just have to wait for whatever fix. Luckily I've been too busy for much gaming anyway, but I mean... quite embarrassing for Sony here, no doubt.

i think the important thing is not to try and start any PSN games, weird clock might screw them up....

Can´t help but thinking that sony might be betting on 2/3/2010 should help them :)

It was assumed today (and claimed by Sony) that this problem was relegated to older models of Sony’s console. This appears to not entirely be the case, and your chances are hit and miss if you choose to use the PlayStation Network this.

Sony themselves have in fact recommending on their DevNet that “all consumer units” of the PS3 should stay offline today, regardless of the model

eh..oh

The bug happens on the 1st of March at 00:00 GMT. Yesterday afternoon I was playing KZ2 and got disconnected twice from the PSN, but didn't think it was important. Then watched a movie. I turned the PS3 off at 00:30 but didn't check the date, so I don't know if the date was wrong then and, obviously, not going to check now as Sony is recommending that you don't turn your PS3 on.

You can. I've updated without being logged on, as Internet access is independent of PSN login. There's also the old PC>USB stick option as well.

So what are the implications in terms of hardware sales, software sales from this? Will we see any longer term losses of sales due to the fallout of having >50%??? of PS3s off themselves at the same time?

Back