PS3 slim streaming/hdd/bluray drive issues?

Because the slims have to read their firmware off of the hard drive, things like playing Blu-ray movies from power-on is bound to take a bit longer.
One single flash device is not particulary fast by today's standards, a HDD - even a laptop drive - is almost guaranteed to be faster and perhaps considerably so, on a purely technical level. Of course actual implementation in the PS3 can affect things considerably, but I doubt it has any major impact regardless...

From what I remember those problems not concerning ps3 slim only...heavy rain & killzone 2 have pretty noticeable loading issue but not depending of console version...I have played with kz2 on my died fat & I had the same strange 'freeze' issue in the loading in my slim, nothing of particularly different.

So you're saying that the loading times are pretty much equal on your slim and your fat? Because I'm pretty sure those stalling moments (in Killzone 2) were only half as long on my old fat. They really were micro-loading moments, whereas now they're real loading moments ... ;-)

I'm not saying that the slim is slower in general (which DF pretty much proved wrong), I'm just wondering if my particular unit might have some problems (e.g. BD seeking/laser or HDD I/O issues).

I have seen one poster mentioned something like this before. We won't know the answer without testing both, the impact may be different for different game and firmware (e.g., DF's test vs your KZ2 test).

If you want (and have the same game), you can try benchmarking your PS3 Slim against those PS3 Slim YouTube and DigitalFoundtry videos.

It happened on my PS3 slim as well during KZ2, and it's hdd is empty. Happened on Heavy Rain as well where it seems like the game has crashed but it comes back a few seconds later. I thought my slim might be dying, but it seems to be normal as others have the same issue.

In KZ2, it depends how "fast" you move! In my experience (did not test it properly I admit), when you rush through the SP campaign, very fast, i.e. running, then the occasional micro load times you typically get can expand to 2-3 seconds load time!! Even on my Fat boy! But I don't know if you are talking about this...and I did not experience this with Heavy Rain...

Back