Critical PS3 internal clock error and its aftermath

Does anyone know how many times that Sony has changed the supplier or model of the RTC IC?

Is it even a separate IC?

Some people are speculating that it's a problem with an ARM IC used to do system control - the front panel, RTC, standby, etc. Can anyone confirm that's what the PS3 actually has?

Add both my machines to the list. 40gb (old) and 80gb (newish). Tried Heavy Rain on each, even with internet disabled and still nothing. Seems silly that not being able to hit the servers for Trophy info even with internet disabled would still prevent me from playing. If someone has NEVER connected to the internet before, this would be causing the same issue? What if they never created a PSN account?

Add both my machines to the list. 40gb (old) and 80gb (newish). Tried Heavy Rain on each, even with internet disabled and still nothing. Seems silly that not being able to hit the servers for Trophy info even with internet disabled would still prevent me from playing. If someone has NEVER connected to the internet before, this would be causing the same issue? What if they never created a PSN account?

What if you create a new local account on your PS3 and try to play?

I believe I'm correct in thinking purchased downloadable content doesn't require a network connection to validate, ie you can play the content quite happily with your router turned off? So can anybody here explain, or suggest a possible reason why, the wrong date and time would effect software validation. It certainly seems tied in with security somehow which bring up the terrifying possibility that a firmware update wouldn't be validated either.

Some people are speculating that it's a problem with an ARM IC used to do system control - the front panel, RTC, standby, etc. Can anyone confirm that's what the PS3 actually has?

Oh hey, if true, then ARM is footing/splitting the bill !

MrSpiggott, they could be using an offline verification scheme if a public-private key system is in place. It doesn't require a network connection in that case (but there is still strong security/validation involved). Timestamp would be needed in this case as well.

EDIT: If the ARM speculation is true, something else besides PS3 must be failing right now also.

I opened this topic in the morning but didn't care to read much as I assumed I wasn't affected since I just used it last last night - but after I got home and turned on my Euro-launch 60 GB PS3, sure enough, I got hit as well. :devilish:

I seriously hope it's nothing serious.

Hearing that reseting the HW clock is good news, though I'm not sure how keen I am on doing that... Damnit. I was really looking forward to playing a few games tonight.

BTW, it appears there was just an update on the official PlayStation blog:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/latest-info-on-playstation-network-status/ said:
As you may be aware, some customers have been unable to connect to the PlayStation Network today. This problem affects the models other than the new slim PS3.

We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system.

Errors include:

The date of the PS3 system may be re-set to Jan 1, 2000.
When the user tries to sign in to the PlayStation Network, the following
message appears on the screen; “An error has occurred. You have been
signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)”.

When the user tries to launch a game, the following error message appears
on the screen and the trophy data may disappear; “Failed to install
trophies. Please exit your game.”

When the user tries to set the time and date of the system via the
Internet, the following message appears on the screen; “The current date
and time could not be obtained. (8001050F)”

Users are not able to play back certain rental video downloaded from the
PlayStation Store before the expiration date.

We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.

As mentioned above, please be advised that the new slim PS3 is not affected with this error. We are doing our best to resolve the issue and do apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Link

Admittedly, the bolded concerns me greatly. :???:

Oh hey, if true, then ARM is footing/splitting the bill !

MrSpiggott, they could be using an offline verification scheme if a public-private key system is in place. It doesn't require a network connection in that case (but there is still strong security/validation involved). Timestamp would be needed in this case as well.

EDIT: If the ARM speculation is true, something else besides PS3 must be failing right now also.

That's why I'm asking, ARM themselves wouldn't be responsible, it would be whoever made the SOC to handle things like power up, power down, the RTC and maybe based it on a simple ARM core.

I don't know even if the stories are true, I have no clue as to where the RTC on the PS3 is placed.

All I can give you is this (which could probably be total bullshit):

Well the gist is that the ARM SYSCON CPU that is used to power up the front panel of the ps3, that is responsible for doing things like sleep mode, eject, RTC etc. Is an old batch that sony picked up from the shelf like other manufacturers that has that calendar year bug regarding feburary 29th on certain periods. Causing the ps3 system clock and the real time clock to desync, messing up security measures like Digital Rights management software and sometimes games that relies on clocks for whatever reason. As well as signing up to the playstation network... This CPU is always on even when your PS3 isn't plugged
This problem is also happening with various of test Ps3 models, particulary the ones that has the emotion engine cpu/gpu for ps2 dev.

This is the one of the same type of CPUs that is powering up mobile devices like zune and blackberries, they have been affected with this bug, so they done some software patches. A syscon update can also fix this problem

The Slims ps3s aren't affected because they use a newer up to date revision on the syscon cpu that fixes this bug.

A quick way to fix this is to remove the RTC battery for at least 5-10 min and plug it back in, you will see the date and time reset, and voila...

http://boards.ign.com/ps3_general_board/b8267/189826564/p1/

That's what you get for calling it Fat/Phat. :p My PS3 Heavy (like the solider units in various games) is working just fine. :LOL: At least it was working just fine yesterday, all day, while playing WKC. It's an original full hardware BC unit, but this is a factory serviced refurb I was sent back.

I left work early today to check on my PS3. I told them I had an urgent matter that I needed to tend to. They asked if my family and I were okay. I said no, I may have PS3 at home that's very sick. They gave me a weird look for a minute there, but the crazed look in my eyes probably told them I was serious. I rushed home to find my PS3 crying in a corner. I asked him what was wrong and he said he saw all of the people on forums calling him Fat and the new ones Slim (that's what I get for leaving the browser open when I left). I told him that those new PS3s were slim because they had their balls cut off. He smiled a little. I then asked "surely you don't want that, do you?" He said no and reluctantly stopped sobbing. "What about this clock problem I'm having now because of all the name calling?", he asked. I told him not to worry about it, and that by tomorrow morning he would remember that he's a real man. So, I created a new local profile and copied over my WKC save game, and we both went on with our day. :LOL:

EDIT

By the way, as expected, I can access the Playstaiton Store from any local account that hasn't signed up for a PSN account. Just can't download anything as that requires an actual PSN account (it prompts you to sign-up if you try).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha ha, I will turn on my office PS3 after GMT 0:00 March 2nd to see if that conjecture holds any water.

I only saw london-boy and one other guy online on my friends list this morning. :LOL:
I showed my wife the Heavy Rain demo.

EDIT:
EDIT

By the way, as expected, I can access the Playstaiton Store from any local account that hasn't signed up for a PSN account. Just can't download anything as that requires an actual PSN account (it prompts you to sign-up if you try).

What happens if you set the clock manually and try to sign on to PSN ?

Trophies were made via firmware right? So trophy enable games get stuck and forces you to quit. Perhaps Sony can release a new firmware to change this feature to allow offline games to be played without sync. Then they can change the rules of how they want to operate the trophies and online. They can also change network security features to allow these users to get access to PSN. If the wrong date is the sole reason not being able to access the store, then they can change it.

Firmware updates may or may not be able to fix a system glitch but the PS3 still turns on fine. Firmware however can change/trick the OS to do what it wants.

Tried to play MW2 at work during lunch break but no dice. Tried pulling the ethernet cable and changing the date but nothing.

Games that don't have trophies should work fine, so maybe it's time to give MGS4 another go.

I tested mine with my JAP account and got the error...didn`t touch games and stuff.
I`ll wait for 5 hours and see if it works when the clock hits the new day, if not I`ll do the battery thing. I wanted to clean the inside anyway someday.

Trophies were made via firmware right? So trophy enable games get stuck and forces you to quit. Perhaps Sony can release a new firmware to change this feature to allow offline games to be played without sync.
Maybe I'm misunderstainding you, but isn't that how it already works? I can play offline and collect trophies, and they'll only be sync'd when I connect to PSN and choose to synchronise them. At the moment it seems unclear to me whether the problem is due to going online/PSN, or is inherent to switching the PS3 on. If the former, as long as I don't log in I'm safe, which is all I need know for tomorrow.

It should occur everytime they need a good timestamp. I think usually this happens when you authenticate or authorize something (e.g., DRM). May be tricky to do a patch. We shall see.

I set up an iPhone alarm when GMT goes 0:00 about 5 hours later.

Sony's infamous software quality control strikes again.

Shame I turned on my 60GB fat PS3 yesterday to watch a Bluray...

Back