CPU upgrade advice -- Single v.s. Dual core?

Intel17

Newcomer
Hello,

I've been out of the hardware loop for quite sometime, and am looking to upgrade my system. Right now, I'm running a Pentium 4 2.4C (800MHz FSB, HT), however I want to upgrade my system to a 3GHz 64 bit Intel chip.

Now, my question is this; is it worth paying the extra money for a 3GHz dual core CPU over a 3GHz single core?

Intel17 said:
What are the advantages of the dual core Athlon 64?

Cheaper, faster, better.

EDIT: add cooler and less power hungry, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
i upgraded..had p4 1.4Gz...will have AMD64 FX-60 (dual core) (2.8 Gz per core) though the Gz isn't really the measure between the two mfg's i think. so now, not only do i have 2 twice as fast CPU's (practically), i have a cpu that has shown consistently to be faster than the equivalent Intel offering with same Gz throughput in games (my primary pc activitage).

when multithreaded (option?) games come to market, i'll be able to handle more "goings on" than a single threaded version of the same game (like more NPC's and stuff)

AND i decided (why i bought now instead of 6 months from now) im going to upgrade again in a year or so (depending on how the new stuff shakes out and what unknown new stuff comes into view). why? cause im rich biatch!

gonna relegate this new machine to my home dev/work rig.

gonna give the p4 1.4 to my dog.

After listening to you guys and reading reviews, I think that the Athlon 64 would be the better choice for me. The CPU is cheaper, the motherboard is cheaper, and I can use my DDR 400 ram without needing new stuff!

Intel17 said:
After listening to you guys and reading reviews, I think that the Athlon 64 would be the better choice for me. The CPU is cheaper, the motherboard is cheaper, and I can use my DDR 400 ram without needing new stuff!
Woo-hoo! Another convert has seen the light!!!!
cheer.gif

You soooo won't regret it. :cool:

I haven't bought an Intel CPU since 1999 (a pair of Celeron 300As for a BP6). Actually now that I think about it, I've only owned like 2 Intel systems (a Pentium 100 box, and the dual Celeron machine). Granted my father had one of the first 486s, and my Xbox has a mobile Celeron in it (no choice there). But my 286 and my sister's 386 were both AMD powered, my last 2 PCs were AMD powered, my Macs of course have all been either Motorola or IBM powered, and my older computers were either like MOS 6502 or Zilog Z80 derivatives...

I guess I've never been a huge fan of Intel CPUs, although there is an amusing irony that my next Mac will have an Intel CPU.

I love my 4400+ X2 - I don't game much but I do dreamweaver/coreldraw/surf/email/imageprocessing/cad all at the same time. With 2 cores and 2 GB of RAM, life is good.

My last Intel desktop system was a P3 Coppermine 600 @ 800 on an Abit BE-6II motherboard that I built sometime around '99 or so. Sold it in '01 I think. Even my kids have an XP2400+!

My laptop, however, is a pentium m. Guess I should try that AMD laptop chip next, eh?

More interesting is that I think I'm down to like 1 or 2 machines out of 30 at the office with "Intel Inside" and my new dual Opteron accounting server screems.

ANova said:
Funny, I feel the same way for the other side.

But most of us have (do) own Intel too :)

You never know till you try...come on, the first one's free ;)

Back