CPU decision help ?

NonNative

Newcomer
Umm sorry but I have no idea where to post this.

I'm going to buy new computer this november and its seem my video card going to be 8800GT or RV670XT which I dont know yet who will be better. :D

But the question is I've got a CPU in my mind that's Core2 Q6600
I heard that yorkfield and K10 will also release in november too.

The problem is I dont know if this release of yorkfield will also release Quad buget version or not.(From I heard they will released QX only and Q in Q12008)

If there is no yorkfield quad non extreme version.
Who is better ? K10 or old Q6600 Core 2 ? ;)

Please advise me thanks you.

As far as i'm aware, the cheaper Yorkfields won't be available until January. However they are supposedly bringing out a 2.5Ghz Quad Penryn at that time for $266. Whether the relatively minor performance boost is worth the 3 month wait though is your call. I'm not sure it is.

As for Phenom, I wouldn't expect it to any cheaper than the current Q6600 at that performance level.

If there is no yorkfield quad non extreme version.
Who is better ? K10 or old Q6600 Core 2 ? ;)
My expectation, based on Tech Report's Barcelona preview with more "desktop" type applications, is that a stock Q6600 will be slightly faster than a 2.6GHz Phenom on the desktop.

So the best decision is when 8800GT in market just buy new PC right ?

I would at least wait until the Yorkfield and Phenom launches in Novemeber as that shouldn't be more than a couple of weeks later at most. At least then you will know what the other options will perform like in January when the lower priced parts release.

My expectation, based on Tech Report's Barcelona preview with more "desktop" type applications, is that a stock Q6600 will be slightly faster than a 2.6GHz Phenom on the desktop.

Barcelona is not a desktop processor. Direct performance correlation cannot be drawn between it and Agena (Phenom). Lower memory speed (as well as the requirement for registered RAM) and optimization for lower power draw will hold back its performance relative to Phenom.

Barcelona is not a desktop processor. Direct performance correlation cannot be drawn between it and Agena (Phenom). Lower memory speed (as well as the requirement for registered RAM) and optimization for lower power draw will hold back its performance relative to Phenom.
The impact of the slower RAM is not that big of a difference on desktop applications and power optimizations typically reduces clockspeed not performance/clock.

Yes Phenom will be faster at the same clockspeed compared to Barcelona thanks to faster memory and chipsets, but Kentsfield is also faster than Clovertown due to faster memory and chipsets.

I'd say K10 and 8800GT.. but that's just personal bias. Actually the processor I'd like to get would be the Phenom X3 because it's weird and cool :). (and power usage would be inbetween X2 and X4)

The impact of the slower RAM is not that big of a difference on desktop applications and power optimizations typically reduces clockspeed not performance/clock.

Yes Phenom will be faster at the same clockspeed compared to Barcelona thanks to faster memory and chipsets, but Kentsfield is also faster than Clovertown due to faster memory and chipsets.

I don't expect there to be huge IPC differences between Barcelona and Agena, but I do expect Agena to be clocked higher and have marginally higher IPC for desktop applications, so perhaps 20-30% faster than the highest bin Opty.

Back