Could Dreamcast et al handle this/that game/effect? *DC tech retrospective *spawn

I
Thx for clearing that up. Maybe they could be doing something similar in ttt in this case maybe what ever values they are getting from this tiny textures to change the vertex color values(ala cel shading). Seeing how youre the man to ask about low level dc things, what do you think about those faked materials using env maps ttt does , on dc? Realistically in a scenario as ttt how would you expect the dc to handle? basically everything from the fighters to the stages use it. in all cases the fighters even use different multiple env map per each player model depending whether its clothing , skin and so on. And could the secondary accumulation buffer feature help?
Feel like space channel 5 part 2 used it on some of their materials. Especially different metals and such. The level where you save the president on the ship. That boss had some interesting things going on. Same for the platform they were on. Also i suppose the knives and handcuffs on shenmue 2 had something special going, too?

The fake bloom light is definetly possible to emulate, the floor well I still need to get the correct textures and figure ir out lol.

Attachments

• Captura.PNG
    Captura.PNG
    2.9 MB · Views: 25
I ripped it myself
Namco isn't using the planes to mimick bloom mind you. They are mimicking light shafts. Although the generic idea of the technique is similar, Namco did a pretty good job at handling properly the values and the edge softness. You can see in the ingane image above how the fake light shafts pass through the openings. In addition the background has animated fog.

Thx for clearing that up. Maybe they could be doing something similar in ttt in this case maybe what ever values they are getting from this tiny textures to change the vertex color values(ala cel shading). Seeing how youre the man to ask about low level dc things, what do you think about those faked materials using env maps ttt does , on dc? Realistically in a scenario as ttt how would you expect the dc to handle? basically everything from the fighters to the stages use it. in all cases the fighters even use different multiple env map per each player model depending whether its clothing , skin and so on. And could the secondary accumulation buffer feature help?
It's possible to multitexture everything and still hit 60 FPS, but you wouldn't have a lot of headroom. It might be more HW friendly to try to fake some of it with spherical harmonics for vertex colors, but that's a big drop in quality. Maybe run the game at 640x384ish?

The accumulation buffer isn't that useful. It's a single temporary storage value for multitexturing equations that need a parenthesis, so it's really only useful for things like the fire effects in Ocarina of Time, or lightmap on dirty glass, where you need to combine two alpha textures before rendering to the final FB. It's fillrate hungry, since it implies you have to do at least four passes to use it (one opaque pass on main FB, two passes to accum. buffer, and another pass to combine accum. with FB. For opaque polygons, you usually don't need it.

Back