Control [XO, PS4]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by OCASM, Jun 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

Does this game still drop to the low 10s on PS4 ?

2. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

I think the major problem here is not that they're charging extra for the upgrade. It's that everyone else isn't.
    Is it possible to upgrade a standard edition to the ultimate, or do people with the original game need to pay for the whole thing again?

Regardless, control will still be playable on the PS5 and Series X and probably with better framerates and/or resolution (if it's using dynamic resolution).. what they're holding off is on the upgrade that probably brings ray tracing to the new consoles.

milk and Reynaldo like this.
  3. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

No information about next-gen upgrade purchase. Have to rebuy entire game for $40 (as the Ultimate Collection) to get the enhanced next-gen version. No details on what they will sell the next-gen only versions for.

Also, I would absolutely hope it gets higher frameworks on next-gen as some parts of the game dip into the 10s of framerate based on reports. Still having spots of 10s fps on next-gen would be disaster.

4. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Legend Veteran

The real d*** move is that even people who have the game and both expansions will still have to (re)buy the Ultimate Edition to get the next gen upgrade. If you just have the base game, then $40 is only $10 more than buying both expansions, so not unreasonable.

Maybe Black Friday brings a price drop. That’s not long after the earliest we’ll see the next gen consoles (that Nov. 6th XSX controller embargo sticker).

Did Sony or MS prohibit charging money for a next-gen upgrade of an existing game?

milk and Silent_Buddha like this.
  5. Bickle2

Newcomer

Microsoft heavily discourages it, but it’s allowed, NBA is doing it. Frankly I would say it’s more than Sony is demanding that they do it this way in order to provide the free PS five upgrade

6. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Still sounds like bullshit for the people who already bought the game. Hopefully sales tank for them.

https://controlgame.com/ultimateeditioncommunityblog/

Tommy McClain

Pete and BRiT like this.
  7. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

They would have been better off not stirring the pot with their updated statement since it doesn't present anything new.

Pete, Bickle2 and AzBat like this.
  8. chris1515

Legend Regular

9. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Is that ray tracing? Oof, how dare they implementing such a questionable feature :D (j/k)
    Edit: its a last gen game, but nonetheless impressive and nice to see it coming to consoles for Control. Loved that game.

#69 PSman1700, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Scott_Arm likes this.
  10. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

the face off should be interesting with this one.

11. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

The clip was taken from a PS5 build.

[​IMG]

#71 Shortbread, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    ThePissartist likes this.
  12. BillSpencer

Regular Newcomer

Is the woman floating in the air an homage to CP2077? :p
    (j/k I know it's in Control).

Btw great that they have a 30fps RT option, but I'd rather have another 60fps RT option; I don't care if it's half res RT

that is kind of what I miss about PC gaming, and what is also a bit of a thing amongst some PC gamers (tm);
    a friend who is a pretty big PC fan, would turn off CA, OBM, SSAO, DOF, nearly everything because "they look stupid and don't cost performance" and then be like " look I have 80fps at ultra settings!!11"

It's not really ultra settings if you have to turn half of it off

13. Silent_Buddha

Legend

To be fair, CA and DoF shouldn't even be classified as any type of quality setting. They are de-quality settings, they make everything look worse, IMO. :p My eyes don't operate like that and it's headache inducing to have them in game. Same goes for motion blur, ugh. 3 things I immediately turn off.

SSAO generally also makes things look "wrong" and can cost a lot of perf. So, off that one generally goes, although it does sort of work in some games.

It's only been in the last year that Shadows have started to look decent enough in games to where it's worth it to leave it on, IMO. Prior to that there's always been so many things wrong with shadows in games that it's been a distraction that actually reduces the graphics quality of many games, IMO.

But for people that enjoy the jankiness of those settings, more power to them. :)

RT's potential to eventually make SSAO a forgotten piece of the past is the thing that I'm most looking forward to with RT. That and shadows that aren't so horrible and janky.

Regards,
    SB

Scott_Arm, PSman1700 and Shortbread like this.
  14. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

Chromatic aberration and film-grain looks good in certain horror games giving them an old-school B movie appeal. But yes, CA and DoF in general aren't my cup of tea as well.

Scott_Arm likes this.
  15. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Its a last gen title, it wont be too intresting for that reason. But nice to see a 30fps/RT mode for those that want RT, and those that want performance can take the 60fps mode.

Those generally dont even eat much performance.

16. BillSpencer

Regular Newcomer

That sounds about right. There would also be a "my rig still runs all titles at 60fps ultra!"
    But that is not really what ultra settings means.
    My old 2007 laptop could run Crysis at "ultra" settings. Yeah I turned everything off, but in my mind those effects cost little to no performance and they make the game look worse anyway lol!

17. snc

snc
    Regular Newcomer

Checked briefly on ps5, game is not a looker also rt probably not worth halving fps. Kudos that switching between performance mode and graphic is instant without need for level restarting.

ThePissartist and Pete like this.
  18. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

It has to be said, Control does look amazing, considering.

19. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Tried Control on PS5.

Not convinced at all. I disabled film gain but it still looks very grainy/not clean, maybe the aa is messed up, on scenes with a strong contrast it looks like upscaled 720p with aliasing, it's bad. The animations are not good, and, ok I played for only 2 hours, but it's not fun at all... I guess without the RT buzz, nobody would have talk about this...

BRiT likes this.
  20. Scott_Arm

Legend

@Rootax I played Control at basically 720p medium-ish (so I could get high frame rates) and no RT on my 1060 at the time, and I'd probably say it was my game of the year. The visuals are pretty noisy. A lot of the screen space effects have this weird dithering. I believe it's a combination of the GI and screen space reflections being massively low resolution. It can look pretty ugly at times. Not to mention even on PCs with lots of VRAM textures will stream in late (there are mods to address this issue), and their AA takes a number of frames to converge.

Silent_Buddha, pharma, BRiT and 3 others like this.