Constantine!

The Baron said:
that's a pretty stupid thing to say.
No, in my experience it fits ye average movie critic perfectly.

They're just people after all. There's nothing that says just because they see 200 movies/year, they somehow get better at expressing personal taste. If you practice skateboarding enough for example, you can do amazing tricks after a while, but you can't practice watching movies.

Druga Runda said:
I loved the film - never tried the game, anyone played the game?
The game is so bad, that it's funny.
Don't even worth a minute of your time, let alone a rental.
Druga Runda said:
as for the film it's a good concept.
It based on the Comic book.

Guden Oden said:
And as for the crappy reviews, well, isn't that standard fare for action movies really?
Not really. There are plenty of action movies that have been critically acclaimed from 'Aliens' to, more recently, 'Spiderman II', 'LOTR' trilogy and 'Batman Begins'. Whilst you can't take the word of one critic as gospel, when you find that a whole bunch of them unanimously agree something sucks then usually, in my experience, it does.

Having said that, I may give 'Constantine' a chance simply because the reviews tend to be so polarised and it might appeal.

with reviewers one always has to consider their target audience!!! All the ones on TV and newspapers are writing for joe mom and dad retard, in my book. And actually, that's insulting to retards. However, there are plenty of good movie revieweres out there. ^_^ I recommend those in Asian Trash Cinema.

Vysez said:
I don't think I ever read a negative review of anything from IMDB users.
You can't have looked very hard, then! Either that or you have you search filter set to, "Loved It". IMDB just reflects public opinion.

Hehe, here I thought imdb is a hate-fest with whiny whinging users... how observations can differ. :)

Here's my theory; they aren't bitchy and hateful enough for this forum's pet hater Vyzez. 8)

Guden Oden said:
The Baron said:

They're just people after all. There's nothing that says just because they see 200 movies/year, they somehow get better at expressing personal taste. If you practice skateboarding enough for example, you can do amazing tricks after a while, but you can't practice watching movies.
Your argument is like saying that you can judge the quality of any classical pianist after hearing five or ten pianists in your entire life. It doesn't work that way. For example, there's Lang Lang, current wunderkind of the music world. Guess what? He's nothing amazing, despite the near-infinite levels of hype--he can play really fast and he can play really loud, and that's it! Of course, to your average person, fast and loud equals good, but pianists and informed listeners know that it doesn't work that way. Same is true for any art form, including movies.

Shocking, I know--movies are more than entertainment.

The Baron said:
Guden Oden said:
The Baron said:

Your argument is like saying that you can judge the quality of any classical pianist after hearing five or ten pianists in your entire life. It doesn't work that way. For example, there's Lang Lang, current wunderkind of the music world. Guess what? He's nothing amazing, despite the near-infinite levels of hype--he can play really fast and he can play really loud, and that's it! Of course, to your average person, fast and loud equals good, but pianists and informed listeners know that it doesn't work that way. Same is true for any art form, including movies.

Shocking, I know--movies are more than entertainment.

while movies are sometimes more than entertainment movie critics are 50:50. There is just a random coin toss chance that they will tell me anything relevant about the film. However as the % of weight increases than the likeleyhood that the film is good or bad increases too, so rarely will a film that no critic loved be good, and only sometimes is a film loved by most critics bad, but looking at a single source it is a coin toss.

The Baron said:
Your argument is like saying that you can judge the quality of any classical pianist after hearing five or ten pianists in your entire life.
Yeah, sure. Why not.

Of course, to your average person, fast and loud equals good, but pianists and informed listeners know that it doesn't work that way.
So what you're saying is, you know better than other people what is good or not? That your opinion is somehow less of an opinion and more like fact, actually?

Uh-huh. Right.

Same is true for any art form, including movies.
The thing that is true is that people bullshit themselves and other into believing their personal opinions have more weight than other peoples' personal opinions when in fact they're no more important than anyone else's. You can watch a million movies or listen to a million concert pianists, if your favorite movie or pianist is shit in my opinion then it's shit. No matter what you say.

You can choose to differ of course, but don't think for a second you're more right than anyone else, because that's just a crock of you-know-what.

movies are more than entertainment.
They are?

What then?

guden, if i may... perhaps what the baron is saying is that it's the same with video games. Can someone who has played ten console games have a rightful claim to know what is the "Best Video Game of All Time"? (not that that will stop anyone...) ;)

however, i agree with guden on this one, not because critics are all wrong, in fact some i like very much, but because they are refining their skills for an ulterior motive. if i wanted to be a game critic, it would not make my opinions any more valid to the average eight year old. However, at least you guys could hear someone educated over at gamespot for once. ;) my summation: find a reviewer you like and stick with it...

What puts me off about some reviewers is that they want everything to be the second comming .

A good reviewer needs to say hey this is a 5 star sci fi movie . If you like sci fi this is the best one out there .

Not compare it to a drama and then give it 2 stars . Diffrent genres need diffrent grading

jvd said:
What puts me off about some reviewers is that they want everything to be the second comming .

A good reviewer needs to say hey this is a 5 star sci fi movie . If you like sci fi this is the best one out there .

Not compare it to a drama and then give it 2 stars . Diffrent genres need diffrent grading

yap. but some movies cant be that easily put into single category....

i liked to watch the movie in the theaters. i rented the dvd so i could watch again but i experienced it totaly different.
man that Gabriel had something freakish and sexy dunno if it was because the woman looked so bizarre... and i like them bizarre :devilish:

poopypoo said:
Can someone who has played ten console games have a rightful claim to know what is the "Best Video Game of All Time"?
Sure he can, as much as anybody else. Even if you've played every game ever made (which would be one hell of a feat), your opinion wouldn't matter any more than anyone else's if nobody agrees with you. :D Opinions are just that, nothing more and nothing less.

Back