Constantine!

Guden Oden

Legend
Just finished watching the DVD, and damn :oops:, if only religion was more like this, even I might take up worshipping! :devilish:

This movie ROCKED. Peter Stormare was amazing, I read ages ago - before the US premiere I suppose - that he was in the movie, and then forgot all about it. Also, even Keanu was pretty good. :D And he didn't say "whoah" a single time that I noticed.

I then had to wiki the spear of destiny of course, and there I was off again on another of those time-consuming and seemingly never-ending journeys through branching hyperlinks; spear to charlemagne to neustria, and there I pulled myself together before things got out of hand!

Gabriel was WEIRD by the way. I guess you have to be, having lived since the dawn of time and working for a S.O.B. like god. :p

(Btw, I looked for a topic about this, but after looking through five pages of archives I gave up.)

Oh, man. I thought the movie was utter shit. And I'm a sucker for for all campy occult theme films. I've seen virtually every antichrist/exorcism/war-in-heaven movie every made. Most of them are really bad from an objective point of view but I still enjoy them. I even liked Sin Eater and the video release sequels of The Prophecy.

But Constantine... it started like a low-budget Exorcist rip-off. I like low-budget Exorcist rip-offs. I could spend the rest of my days watching low-budget Exorcist rip-offs. But the low-budget Exorcist rip-off goodness was over after a few minutes and the rest of that cinematic abomination was pure boredom.

Constantine's supposed to be british and wear a brown trenchcoat, but hey... You can't have everything.

Keanu's much better at acting these days than he was back in the mid-90s or so. He might have worked in Bill and Ted's whatever adventure movie whatsitscalled, but a block of wood had more vivid facial expressions than him in a drama role. :p Now he can actually act to some extent at least. Sure, he's no Anthony Hopkins or Alec Guiness, but neither of those actors would probably have done any better in the role of Constantine anyway. Let's just say it's simply not that deep a part. :p

*Spoilers follow; beware, or at least be aware. :D*

And as for the crappy reviews, well, isn't that standard fare for action movies really? Add to that, action movies that turns christian dogma on its head, makes Gabriel a homicidal lunatic and has satan himself walking the earth? Man, what do you expect? :LOL: Movie critics are never the most free-thinking of people, if you don't follow standard movie form and/or make an incomprehensible movie or are one of a few elite directors who can do no wrong, your movie will pretty much per definition suck according to them. Never listen to critics, listen to your friends instead. :)

No man, I just mean that he's not cool enough. With someone as cool as Jack Nicholson in his best days, it would have been a much better movie IMHO.

I still really liked it, it's just that it could have been even better.

Rivers Edge is a great movie. Recommend it to everyone.

I like Constantine. It was entertainment at a good pace. It clearly wasn't meant to be over serious in the way some movies are. The special effects were cool and Keanu is an all right action star.

I rather enjoyed Constantine. It had a nice spin on theology that made it interesting and the character Constantine was well done -- the casting in general was well done (even if Keanu was involved, he was good in it).

Not the greatest movie of all time, but certainly enjoyable.

I almost walked out of the living room 3 minutes into the Pacifier. Man, Vin Diesel has got to be still kicking himself in the ass for being in that movie.

John Reynolds said:
I almost walked out of the living room 3 minutes into the Pacifier. Man, Vin Diesel has got to be still kicking himself in the ass for being in that movie.
That was a baaaaaaad movie, even for a Disney kid's movie it was a gross insult to the intelligence. :(

it was a bad movie but it made a lot of money 110 m or so and cost 56 m .

So it was his first sucess in a long time

Riddick lost 50m or so

You have to go back to XXX in 2002 to find a movie he made that grossed well and it only made 144 dispite costing 70

Guden Oden said:
Movie critics are never the most free-thinking of people, if you don't follow standard movie form and/or make an incomprehensible movie or are one of a few elite directors who can do no wrong, your movie will pretty much per definition suck according to them. Never listen to critics, listen to your friends instead. :)
that's a pretty stupid thing to say. if I listened to my friends, I never would have seen any Takashi Miike movies, never would have seen Repo Man (because after all, the life of a repo man is always intense), and I'd be thinking that Phantom of the Opera was the best movie to ever grace this planet. Critics have seen more movies than you. Good critics will also remember to think about whether or not they were entertained in addition to whether or not the film was actually good and did something that was actually worth seeing for more than entertainment value.

Back